New puppy has Coccidia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New puppy has Coccidia

So our new puppy that we have had for two weeks has Coccidia. Poor guy was up all night and I couldn't figure out why because he has been sleeping so good in the crate at night. Then this morning he had diarrhea, was puking a little, and was constantly whining and restless so we took him to the vet. $200 later we got him back under control and at home and he seems to be feeling a little better. Is this a bill you think the breeder should cover or even help with after only 2 weeks or is it a common thing in puppies? He was an expensive puppy and has excellent hips/elbows, but I worry about other health issues now. Any thoughts?
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

do you have a contract with the breeder and what does it say?
unless the puppy has been x-rayed (and it's old enough to be x-rayed) you have no idea how his hips/elbows are...
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Coccidia is common in puppies, and often waits to present itself after the pup goes to its new home.
Home of Ch Doll; U-CDx Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP OA AXJ(ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Natty; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedGSD View Post
do you have a contract with the breeder and what does it say?
unless the puppy has been x-rayed (and it's old enough to be x-rayed) you have no idea how his hips/elbows are...
Yes we do have a contract. I just got home so we'll get it out of the safe and read what it says in regards to this. Sorry what I meant was that both parents had excellent hips/elbows rather than the puppy.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
Coccidia is common in puppies, and often waits to present itself after the pup goes to its new home.
Yeah thats what we had read too, but our vet said no reputable breeder would ever have puppies with this? As you mention it seems common, but the vet acted like it was something that should never happen?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Coccidia is very common in puppies. Treat with Albon and it is easily eliminated. The bet charging $200.00 bucks to detect Coccidia is highway robbery. It is a simple fecal test and the symptoms, especially in pups, is a clear indication. Stress weakens the immune system and triggers the organisms. The pup could of picked up the Coccidia in your own yard or any place it has been.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your vet is COMPLETELY wrong.....
Coccidia is a *common* micro organism that can be present in ANY dog or puppy.
The difference is......in puppies, ..it is more noticable because puppies tend to fall "physically ill" when it presents itself.
ANY breeder, ANY owner can have a puppy present with Coccidia (especially after a stressful situation).

*I hate when vets make ignorant comments.*
robinhuerta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Your vet is COMPLETELY wrong.....
Coccidia is a *common* micro organism that can be present in ANY dog or puppy.
The difference is......in puppies, ..it is more noticable because puppies tend to fall "physically ill" when it presents itself.
ANY breeder, ANY owner can have a puppy present with Coccidia (especially after a stressful situation).

*I hate when vets make ignorant comments.*
Good to know...as I mentioned I was under the same impression, but after the vet said that I was a little nervous. He seems to be doing much better today already based on how many times I got my arm chewed on so hopefully he'll be alright.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

If the puppy was fine for the first 2 weeks home, it's more likely that the puppy picked up something in the last week.

Coccidia is very widespread and extremely difficult to eradicate. A good breeder knows it may be a problem and takes steps to minimize the problems the puppy and new owner will face. However, if this was a problem that came from the breeder's place, then you would have had problems the first few days home.

This past year seems to have been a really bad one for coccidia and giardia in many areas of the US--perhaps because of the very mild winter last year?

The medicines to treat coccidia are very inexpensive--it's the surrounding testing that can add up the $$.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've always heard coccidia takes about two weeks after exposure to present with symptoms. You are right around the cut off, so the pup could have come with it or could have picked it up right when it got home. My hunch would be that the pup came with it. As everyone else said, coccidia is common and fairly easy to treat.
Kejasa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.