When Should I Get Another Pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When Should I Get Another Pup?

I have a 10 month old GSD now and also a 2 year old son. When do you think its reasonable to get another gsd pup?

My wife said shes thinking about another year but i dont think i can be that patient lol.
Switchblade906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

When your 1st pup is a model citizen. I wouldn't bother until the 1st dog is at least 2 years old and has at the minimum solid basic obedience, recall, and good manners.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When you and your family's ready for another puppy. Everyone's different.

For me... I waited about 5 years between dogs. I wanted to make sure my current one was exactly where I wanted to be training wise.

What's the rush anyways?
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have always considered myself ready when my current dog has settled into adulthood (roughly between 2 and 3 years of age) AND trained to be reliable with both obedience and house manners.

I don't want to be in a situation where I have two dogs that need basic work. It just takes too much time and someone always gets the short end of the stick because it it.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

when the 1st dog is well trained and highly socialized.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

When u are ready... with a 2 year old kid, you better be prepared to be on it 24/7.... I've had alot of dogs with little kids, it's a dedication to the situation.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My goal was to have at least 3 years difference and also a CDX on my first one (once I figured out what that was). That way, he's solid in a lot of his obedience and I can work him in higher level stuff, while the next one will be starting basic obedience.

It's also nice to think about end of life costs and the possibility of losing two dogs very close together in time. Not something anyone wants to think about when they have a young puppy, but its just a fact of life that if the dogs are very close in age, depending on health and other circumstances you might end up losing them in a very short amount of time.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

HEY, I love everyone's recommendations cause they are brilliant!!

Puppies take a ton of time. So I need to make sure I have my current dog(s) practically perfect and for me that's closer to 5 yrs. That way I can really focus and deal with all the normal puppy issues and not worry about having to also be socializing and training the other dog(s). Other wonderful thing is if my older dog is already calmer, more mature and knows what's what in the house. They do help train and get the new one to fit in easier. Problem if they are young and still working thru issues is they teach the BAD stuff too and it's double the trouble!

Don't underestimate costs too. Vet bills, food and all the dog classes. Much better to have just one rather than two times the bills. Remember 12 years from now also. VEt bills and medication for senior dogs can be extremely expensive so having one senior dog at a time makes a huge difference.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-26-2012 at 10:26 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone! I guess ill just have to be more patient....I have Zoey (my 10 month old GSD, and my only one too) signed up for her first class on the 8th of next month. I know im starting late but i dont think its going to be a big problem.
Switchblade906 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.