fast potty training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default fast potty training?

I just got my 8 week old GSD last night. He hasnt had any training. This morning I woke up and took him outside to potty. He went. Then I've been taking him out about every 45 minutes to an hour since. He piddled 2 times in the house this morning before I caught it. Each time, I picked him up, carried him outside to the potty place. This afternoon, he stopped piddling in the house. Three times now he's run to the back door and I've picked him up and carried him to his potty place. He goes and then runs back inside. Is it normal for a GSD to learn this quickly? I know that he's still going to have accidents for awhile, especially at night, but I'm wondering if this is just a fluke. I've never heard of a dog starting to learn that fast.
CurvyOne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congrats, and welcome to the world of smart puppies!!! Ky was completely house broken in 2 days ... (I live in the basement so she had to figure out where the stairs were LOL) ... two accidents ... both times I didn't make it fast enough.

For two weeks, I was up every two hours or so, and then Ky was finally able to hold it for four hours (which is pretty much all I sleep anyway!)

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy that puppy!

WE WANT PICS!!!! Please
Old 12-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default pics

okay here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
fast potty training?-sleepyhuter.jpg   fast potty training?-tongue-out.jpg   fast potty training?-outside.jpg   fast potty training?-huter.jpg  
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh so cute! Yes they are very smart!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Very smart. And do they all get attached so easily? I was the one to hold him when we brought him home. (my hubby and I) and he is sooooo attached to me. Followed me around all day and when I sit down, if I dont directly engage him he decides to lay on my foot. If I'm in another room and dont want him to come with me, he lays on my purse instead.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, they get attached very easily!!!! That second pic, with his tongue sticking out? OMG ... so cute ... and thanks for the pics!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

We got ours at 9 weeks and he was potty trained from the get go. My breeder said he didn't do it. He said another one of the litter-mates new owner said the same thing about their puppy. The only time he's had an accident is when WE were not paying attention to him. We were pulling Christmas decorations out of the closet and he was standing at the back door. I was prepared with pads, news papers, and the jingle bells at the door. I didn't have to use a thing! So glad!
EmmyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

We got Avery at 7 months and I swear he bonded to me over night. He likes my husband but never whines when he leaves, when I leave the world is going to end. We also watched my friends white shepherd one night and without a doubt Luna was my girl by the time I took her home. Loving, warm, fun homes make for happy well bonded dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

He's so awesome! I havent had a puppy since I was a kid and that didnt end well So needless to say this is new to me But I love the lack of fear and complete and total innocence and willingness to learn in this guy. My parents dog is a grump around other dogs. He LOVES me and is super jealous of this puppy. He growls and barks and tries to scare him away. (no biting) But Huter (puppy) just leaves for a minute and like 10 minutes later he tries again. At one point he just walked up and put his head under my parent's dogs chin. Puppy is trying so hard regardless of the other guys temper. I'm impressed and trying to stay calm because I dont want him to become afraid of grumpy dogs...just respectful. I know my parents dog will adjust. He did to my sister and brother in laws dog. Anyway....I'm babbling. I'm just really excited and very impressed. He's already learning "sit" and I havent really even tried. He naturally is in a submissive state and when we go inside after "potty" he waits till I catch up and then runs to side and a little behind me. He waits at the back door till I call him in. Then he sits and wiggles his butt till I pet him. He still makes mistakes with potty as I dont always realize what he's telling me and his bladder of course is small. But I'd say he gets it right 80% of the time so far. But for example, we were playing and he started whining. He wouldnt leave me because I was trying to engage him, but he whined. I didnt realize what that meant and he accidentally piddled. Now I know what that means :P
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like dogs naturally just love you as well. You must have a great energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdan View Post
We got Avery at 7 months and I swear he bonded to me over night. He likes my husband but never whines when he leaves, when I leave the world is going to end. We also watched my friends white shepherd one night and without a doubt Luna was my girl by the time I took her home. Loving, warm, fun homes make for happy well bonded dogs!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.