Fight :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fight :(

A Cairn Terrier mix attacked my pup today and they got in to a fight (if you got punched in the face you'd react back right?). I managed to get collar Charlie and had to kneel on the other dog because i wouldn't stop trying to get to Charlie, even though Charlie was trying to avoid the situation. The other dog then went to attack a fellow dog owners puppy.

Did i react in the right way??. I know i need to protect my dog.
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Where were you when the fight happened?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where was the owner of the Cairn Terrier? How old is your pup? I would be keen for him to only meet friendly dogs from now on, especially if he is only a young pup. An attack from another dog at a young age could make him defensive with other dogs for life.
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Where were you when the fight happened?

I was in my local park. My pup was playing with another puppy. The owner was quite far away from his dog, he wasn't even trying to call him back. Charlie is six months old now. Luckily the pups continued to play like nothing had happened afterwards.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Were you at a dog park? Were any of the dogs leashed?

Try to paint a picture of what was happening before the fight started. It helps determine what would best help you in this situation.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Were you at a dog park? Were any of the dogs leashed?

Try to paint a picture of what was happening before the fight started. It helps determine what would best help you in this situation.

It wasn't a dog park, it's my local park. None of the dog were leashed no, 99% of the dogs in that park are amazing dogs. This one though, a little terror.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would definitely have a word with the owner of the terrier, and ask them to keep their dog on a lead if he is not friendly to other dogs and has no recall.

Hope your pup is ok now.
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforfire View Post
Where was the owner of the Cairn Terrier? How old is your pup? I would be keen for him to only meet friendly dogs from now on, especially if he is only a young pup. An attack from another dog at a young age could make him defensive with other dogs for life.
I'd ditto this. My GSD had an altercation with a little toy-sized dog when he was young. To this day he's not only defensive with toy-sized dogs, but he actively hates them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforfire View Post
I would definitely have a word with the owner of the terrier, and ask them to keep their dog on a lead if he is not friendly to other dogs and has no recall.

Hope your pup is ok now.
Ditto to this too!
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A 6 month GSD and a Cairn terrier mix? You'll have trouble yelling at that owner for his dog "attacking" yours. Who punched who in the face? Cause I don't see a cairn terrier having much success trying to punch a GSD in the face...

A punch in the face is not outright "fighting words" to dogs but it is highly discouraged. We have a westie in the family and when my boy sees him he always wants to play. The westie is older, not as social, and ignores him. He used to growl at him and actually try to attack him but we taught him not to as that would surely lead to death without human intervention. My boy tended to punch that dog in the face when they were playing (when he was younger) and the terrier didn't like that, so we taught the GSD not to do that. In fact...most people at the dog parks I go to will not allow their dogs to "punch." They'll allow most types of wrestling...with jaws around necks but punching is kind of frowned upon.

All dogs were off-leash, if your dog had gotten away from you I bet you wouldn't have the greatest recall in the world either since its a 6 month old pup that would be playing with something else at the time. Jumping down other owner's throats for doing the same thing you are isn't very nice in my opinion. My rule with dog parks, or any park, is if you don't like what's going on, then you leave. You can't make another person leave a place they are just as entitled to use as you are.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Terrier are bred to route out vermin (fox, otter and weasel)...that's their job. It really isn't surprising that they are feisty and would attack a larger dog. They don't care about size. I don't know why anyone would be surprised that a smaller dog would start a fight with a larger dog, especially when they were bred to attack and kill animals larger than them.

I imagine the "punch in the face" comment was an analogy to the GSD puppy defending himself. I've used a similar comment to my husband when our dogs got into a fight and he was spouting about Jax eyeballing Sierra (who had attacked with no provocation). My response was "If you walked into a room and I sucker punched you in the head, you would be eyeballing me too"

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.