Fight :( - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaasuti View Post
A Cairn Terrier mix attacked my pup today and they got in to a fight (if you got punched in the face you'd react back right?). I managed to get collar Charlie and had to kneel on the other dog because i wouldn't stop trying to get to Charlie, even though Charlie was trying to avoid the situation. The other dog then went to attack a fellow dog owners puppy.

Did i react in the right way??. I know i need to protect my dog.
Sounds like you handled it well imop. You took control of the situation and Charlie was able to return to play. Good job.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #22 (permalink)
Elite Member

a pit bull can never do that by itself to a grown boar without the hunter they run in packs with vests (usually)on alone with no vest with a full grown adult boar they will be lunch in seconds.

And a pit is not a big carn sorry not even close. None of these terriers can take on an adult healthy carnivore larger than they are. By themselves without a human ever.

Jax there is a massive difference in power between a small terrier and a same sized wild carnivore or bigger. Same goes for a small terrier and a larger dog. Small terriers get killed by owls, hawks. coyotes, fishers and just about anything here they are a prey food just like domestic cats maybe even more of a prey item because they can't really escape that easy.

Last edited by pets4life; 12-22-2012 at 12:00 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
a pit bull can never do that by itself to a grown boar without the hunter they run in packs with vests (usually)on alone with no vest with a full grown adult boar they will be lunch in seconds.

And a pit is not a big carn sorry not even close. None of these terriers can take on an adult healthy carnivore larger than they are. By themselves without a human ever.
What on earth are you talking about?

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

lol sorry i mixed up the breed wow they looked a lot like pits for a second. That is still no carn. If someone had a game working patt or jag terrier in a dog park sure id be concerned around a six month old pup but that has nothing to do with this thread. No one is going to bring such dogs into a park though.

Last edited by pets4life; 12-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Some of them do have Pit Bull features, but they are small little terriers.

I do know all about hog hunting.. Going off topic for a second, sorry - the dogs aren't expected to kill the hogs. Just to hold them and not let them get away, which takes a lot of courage and drive. Most terriers have a similar set of traits, which would make them pretty formidable to a puppy of any size - which is why I posted what I did.

Terriers are rough little dogs when they want to be. I had to pick my old Pit Bull up to get her away from a JRT once. lol

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree Pattys are fierce a whole nother level than jack russels or other small terriers. They are monsters lol Same with jag terrors.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It would be foolish to discount the ability for one dog to inflict serious harm to another dog due to size alone.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 AM   #28 (permalink)

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I appreciate all your replies. I found a small graze under Charlies eye (looks like the terrier managed to graze with it's teeth), I've been keeping it clean and it's healing well.

I have seen the owner of the smaller dog since then and told him he should be keeping his dog leashed if he is not 100% certain that it won't go for other dogs. He was very apologetic, but stated that his dog doesn't like puppies!?.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

all terrier breeds are tough , scrappy, feisty dogs with high pain threshold - so they don't give up. I've seen jack russell terriers being used for vermin removal , nest of raccoons in barns and come aways with scratches and gashes and still never ran out of steam or game .
even in the show ring judges look for attitude from terriers , that is part of their breed character .

So this was incident number one . At these leash free , dogs running free, most to all not having training, the second incident is just around the corner . Does your dog have training ?
Not worth it .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

all terrier breeds are tough , scrappy, feisty dogs with high pain threshold - so they don't give up. I've seen jack russell terriers being used for vermin removal , nest of raccoons in barns and come aways with scratches and gashes and still never ran out of steam or game .
even in the show ring judges look for attitude from terriers , that is part of their breed character .
Patterdales - intimidating ! I had an American Rat Terrier for a short period of time .
Talk about instinct . Confronted by a large combative rat , the dog who was no more than 3 months old , knew exactly what to do , and could dodge the rats attacks, great co-ordination and she just kept at it till she had finished the job. The dog , not the rat . I had to re-home this dog after a year . Although she was a wiggle butt with ALL people - fantastic that way - her complete lack of any semblance of trainability , was wearing on my last nerve , plus I had to be extremely careful to be sure that she and my GSD's did not meet , when my guys were out running in the field . They wouldn't start something -- but the Rat Terrier would have . So she went to her new home . A mature adult couple with no kids --- and she is still alive at 17 years , joining them in their retirement in British Columbia , a little porky from being spoiled , but happy . Feisty .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.