German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Land Shark time.. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/196714-land-shark-time.html)

Welshy23 12-20-2012 11:00 AM

Land Shark time..

What time does Landsharking start? I was playing with my pup today (9 weeks old). She is not manic and really doesn't play rough or frantic and when i was playing with her on the floor rolling around with her she started to go for me, make funny noises and circle me! Now i growled at her back and she kept her distance and would allow me to touch her and there was no hard feelings or anything or a power struggle. This lasted for 3-5 mins.

I am just wondering if this is the start of her sharking days? Also better ways of playing/growing up with instead of growling back...

Thanks Sam,

1sttimeforgsd 12-20-2012 01:01 PM

NOW, I would get a little tug rope for her and play with her that way. When you are playing tug with her resist a little but let her win. Have fun with your new baby. :)

gmcwife1 12-24-2012 02:14 PM

It seemed to start about that early with us! I know our 13 yr old had a hard time understanding all the biting and I worried about the lack of bonding.

Luckily now at 11 months her and Nita have bonded wonderfully :)

ankittanna87 12-25-2012 06:11 AM

8 week old Kaiser's also been biting a lot since yesterday.. he's playing with his toys, slippers, shoes, hands, ankles, anything he can get his tiny mouth around! crazy guy.. roughly when do these guys start teething? so that I can go into exile :P

doggiedad 12-25-2012 07:15 AM

don't growl at your pup. there's no need to challenge her.
your pup isn't playing rough now maybe due to her age.
don't worry she'll play rough when she's older and bigger.
then your posts are going to "how do i stop my dog
from playing rough". lol. at 9 weeks old it's the "sleep,
pee and poop stage". you're going to hear the word
"stage" a lot. don't worry about the stages. having
a dog is one big all inclusive stage. good luck with
the new pup. keep in mind you have a 9 week old pup.
don't expect to much.

MichaelE 12-25-2012 09:02 AM

Lisl is doing it now at a little over 7 weeks. I keep her occupied and keep shifting her attention to her toys, as well as playing with her myself.

Right now, she's putting her mouth around anything within reach. It's to be expected, but you have to keep up with them and divert their attention away from your possesions or you won't have any.

lennoxbradley88 12-26-2012 06:08 PM

This is just the begining :D so start using all your old clothes ha! get tons of toys he can bite and try to tire him out by playing. My hands are filled with scars and I most say that Land Shark phase was a tough one for me :eek: but it gets better within time. Best of Luck!