Why has he become such a brat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Why has he become such a brat?

Odin who is now 11 months, has been perfectly fine to be left in the house to do what he wanted, and yesterday all of a sudden he chewed up one of my ps3 controllers, I was extremely upset, he never touched any of my things since he was a puppy, he has tons of toys and had just come back from a walk, but i blamed myself because I left it where he could reach. So today, it was the same thing, but instead i decided to leave him in his crate, with a few bones and some toys, and put my valuables up to a place where i "thought" he couldnt reach the night before, so I come home and I find that he has broken out of his crate, jumped up, grabbed my other 2 ps3 controllers and broken them as well as my tv remote.

Why is he doing this? he has toys, i walk him 3 times a day including a few games of fetch and he is obviously excersized, im VERY frustrated with him at the moment
brandongill1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Welcome to GSD adolescence! How much obedience are you doing with him? Do you practice NILIF? How long are those walks?
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongill1 View Post
Odin who is now 11 months, has been perfectly fine to be left in the house to do what he wanted, and yesterday all of a sudden he chewed up one of my ps3 controllers, I was extremely upset, he never touched any of my things since he was a puppy, he has tons of toys and had just come back from a walk, but i blamed myself because I left it where he could reach. So today, it was the same thing, but instead i decided to leave him in his crate, with a few bones and some toys, and put my valuables up to a place where i "thought" he couldnt reach the night before, so I come home and I find that he has broken out of his crate, jumped up, grabbed my other 2 ps3 controllers and broken them as well as my tv remote.

Why is he doing this? he has toys, i walk him 3 times a day including a few games of fetch and he is obviously excersized, im VERY frustrated with him at the moment
Well he obviously doesn't like those ps3 controllers
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

You have entered the "teen GSD zone". I think you're very lucky that you didn't have so many issues during the younger puppy hood. Looks like you're getting it in spades now, though. Hate to say it, but it's typical GSD behavior. They can be stinkers! I'd suggest a Veri kennel with the multiple locks. I had a male that started tearing apart expensive wire crates when he was older. I now use a kennel instead. My current pup loves his so he doesn't try to break out, but I think it would hold him if he did try.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

He goes for a good 45 to hour and a half walk, he's always done this, and it seemed to be no problem before, and I did practice NILIF but I stopped after a few months, and I do a bit of obedience training, he's not completely out of control LOL

and ya I guess I better switch to xbox or something, LOL god,

does this kind of behaviour go away as he gets older?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

forget about stages. his behaviour will change with corrections, training
and crating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandongill1 View Post
He goes for a good 45 to hour and a half walk, he's always done this, and it seemed to be no problem before, and I did practice NILIF but I stopped after a few months, and I do a bit of obedience training, he's not completely out of control LOL

and ya I guess I better switch to xbox or something, LOL god,

>>>> does this kind of behaviour go away as he gets older?<<<<

doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I know how you feel. Pup chewed up the Wii motes at night. It might be that you've stopped with some of the training because your pup had been so good! That's what happened to me recently. Puppy has been an Angel for the last 4 months. She is 16 months now so I thought, yay maturity. But nope, she regressed when I decreased the structure. I noticed an immediate improvement when I picked it up again.

Use a more secure crate in an empty room/bathroom?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do you mean an hour leash walk? If so, that is not enough to get him tired and full filled. You can walk him on leash all day and he won't be tired. Do you give him stuff to find, solve etc? Are the walks interesting for him? Like letting him climb, navigate obstacles, are you interesting for him, etc? You cannot expect this bratty behavior to go away without a lot of work. Some will let you get away with slacking off on obedience but the more assertive dogs will look for and use the loop holes.
I only go for a walk after he has played fetch for about 10 minutes to get rid of some energy. And I don't trust pups outside their crate before they are about 1.5 years old although it is tempting sometimes to do it sooner. Just look around what they can ruin in two minutes.... and you'll be happy to crate them. Tons of toys don't guarantee a content dog if you don't use them with him.
Generally you could say that when we are frustrated with our dogs they need: exercise, training, NILIF and plain fun with you. He kinda like a human 15 year old bored with school. Is he in a class?
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Do you mean an hour leash walk? If so, that is not enough to get him tired and full filled. You can walk him on leash all day and he won't be tired. Do you give him stuff to find, solve etc? Are the walks interesting for him? Like letting him climb, navigate obstacles, are you interesting for him, etc? You cannot expect this bratty behavior to go away without a lot of work. Some will let you get away with slacking off on obedience but the more assertive dogs will look for and use the loop holes.
I only go for a walk after he has played fetch for about 10 minutes to get rid of some energy. And I don't trust pups outside their crate before they are about 1.5 years old although it is tempting sometimes to do it sooner. Just look around what they can ruin in two minutes.... and you'll be happy to crate them. Tons of toys don't guarantee a content dog if you don't use them with him.
Generally you could say that when we are frustrated with our dogs they need: exercise, training, NILIF and plain fun with you. He kinda like a human 15 year old bored with school. Is he in a class?

I do basically the same as you, but instead I take him for about 20 mins of fetch after a 45- to an hour walk, and he seems pretty pooped afterwards, I guess I was tempted to let him roam free, because he was doing so well, and the toys i guess he's a little weird because when its a new toy he'll go nuts with it for a week and then never touch it again. I found these last 2 days so weird, nothing new has changed, he finished classes about a month and a half ago, and for the most part as a pup will list to most commands, but I did lean off the obedience because he was seeming to calm down, guess I should get back up on that lol
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

At this age they sometimes throw in the towel and it is startling at first until you see the picture of the adolescent dog. It always surprises me too when they do it. So far so good on this front.
Regarding the toys: rotate them so they are new again after a few weeks.
Keep him in classes, just to maintain his obedience and socialization skills.
Enjoy this crazy stage. I am very well aware of it as I lost two of my old dogs last year. Before you know it our dogs are old and this silly time will be a sweet memory.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.