German Shepherds Forum banner

You are TOO young to be humping...

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Aureal 
#1 ·
So my nine WEEK old puppy humped my friend's red pillow yesturday.
Today he humped my pillow. >.o
This is a nine week old puppy, his manhood has yet to drop.

Anyone know why? Is this a sign of dominance? >.o

Like I am so confused. Should I get him neutered as soon as possible and this will stop? D:

#3 ·
Yes, ignore the pup but quietly take the pillow away and give him a toy (to chew).
He might start this on dogs later on as well. WD humped a dog one time when he was 4 months old and I took him by his collar (gently), leashed him and worked with him for a while. He hasn't done it since.
Good luck with your puppy.

#7 ·
My pup humped at my female the day I brought him home (8 weeks). I say 'at' because he wasn't close to the right area and was more humping away at her shoulder.

He also used to hump my clothes when I was having a shower... well his head would be at my clothes and his hips would hump wherever they were at the time.

He's about 14 weeks old now and seems to be calming down with it a bit... we'll see what happens in the future.

#8 ·
So I learned how to deal with this from one of my true good leader dogs in the past who has been the foundation of my training. If one of the pups humped something, he would step in. That was all that was needed. So I knew that it is not appropriate behavior in the presence of whoever is in charge. WD's quick response to mine proofed that he understood that language.

#10 ·
Lol Barack humped his favorite toy the 1st day he came home, I also didn't know pups did this, but a quick "ah ah" and he stopped. He did try it a few more times but hasn't done it in over a month now.

And I thought I was "fast" when I was young!:laugh:

#11 ·
Humping has more to do with dominance behavior than sexual especially when done to other dogs or animals. I just redirect depending on the age of the puppy/dog.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.