One down,, other one MIA - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

It's cheating to surgically change a dog so that it can show despite a disqualifying fault.

You can show your dog right now and would probably be fine. Many judges will waive problems with teeth and testicles on a dog this young because the puppy classes are not exactly deciding the world Sieger, and things can change.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Could the OP 'show' in Rally, or Agility or another AKC sanctioned venue as long as it's NOT conformation type classes?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yep - a neutered or faulty dog would not be disqualified from entering trials like AKC titles or for IPO titles. There are mutts that get schh and AKC titles!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Yet another reason to hate the showline side of german shepherds...

You're missing one ball but can still perform your work perfectly, yet you become a "pet" because your appearance isn't perfect. Let's breed the fearful show dog that looks perfect but not the perfect temperament dog missing one ball. Did you know that to show a dog, it can win and still have crippling diseases? There was a cocker spaniel- type dog in the UK that one the show and had a disease that was common among cocker spaniels and can cause a tremendous amount of pain...after winning the show, that dog sired 34 litters!! I wonder how many of those puppies ended up with the inherited disease????

This is why German Shepherds in the show ring look so messed up and opposite of the original German Shepherds..,the upper class in Britain started breeding for the "best looking dog" and didn't work their dogs and in bred to keep the desired outside appearance.

After a well respected member mentioned this a few years back, I researched it extensively and I find the people who breed showline dogs without temperament testing or titling in "REAL" tests, such as herding or schH disgusting. If your dogs only title is for his physical appearance, why does that make him breedworthy?

Please correct me if I am wrong.....

PS> I think breeders like Huerta Hof are the absolute BEST because they breed for everything!!! Appearance, working abilities, etc.
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh brother....you have a lot to learn
Your post is rude and misguided to say the least.

ANY LINE is not supposed to be bred if the dog only has one testicle. Work, show, in between...doesn't matter. One or no testicles descending is a genetic fault regardless of breed - these dogs should never be bred. It has NOTHING to do with a show rule...

Same goes for missing teeth, allergies, digestive issues - these dogs should not be bred because they are genetically UNHEALTHY. It is NOT a cosmetic issue or a point of vanity...it has to do with taking indications of genetic issues into consideration and NOT passing these traits on.

Last edited by qbchottu; 12-19-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
You're missing one ball but can still perform your work perfectly, yet you become a "pet" because your appearance isn't perfect.
It was just stated the dog can still perform in AKC sanctioned events and get titled. It just can't be shown in Conformation classes. Nor should it be bred.

I would think the percentage of folks who have titled dogs and breed them as well is very small.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Wow. Where to begin?
1) I don't even think the OP has an American showline
2) there's a ton of very nice Am Showline dogs out there and even here on this board
3) it doesn't matter if this is a WORKING, German Show, American show, or American MUTT, any boy with an undescended testicle needs to be d/qed.
4) This isn't an issue particular to any line, it can happen to any dog, mutt, purebred, etc.
5) any dog temperamentally unsound should not be bred (regardless of breed/line)
6) What makes you so sure this particular dog has a stellar temperament or good conformation??
7) just as many German showlines have horrid backs with too much roach, it is an irony to call Am Show "sloping backs" when the reason they appear that way is the way they are stacked...

I could go on. But you get the point.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Yet another reason to hate the showline side of german shepherds...

You're missing one ball but can still perform your work perfectly, yet you become a "pet" because your appearance isn't perfect. Let's breed the fearful show dog that looks perfect but not the perfect temperament dog missing one ball. Did you know that to show a dog, it can win and still have crippling diseases? There was a cocker spaniel- type dog in the UK that one the show and had a disease that was common among cocker spaniels and can cause a tremendous amount of pain...after winning the show, that dog sired 34 litters!! I wonder how many of those puppies ended up with the inherited disease????

This is why German Shepherds in the show ring look so messed up and opposite of the original German Shepherds..,the upper class in Britain started breeding for the "best looking dog" and didn't work their dogs and in bred to keep the desired outside appearance.

After a well respected member mentioned this a few years back, I researched it extensively and I find the people who breed showline dogs without temperament testing or titling in "REAL" tests, such as herding or schH disgusting. If your dogs only title is for his physical appearance, why does that make him breedworthy?

Please correct me if I am wrong.....

PS> I think breeders like Huerta Hof are the absolute BEST because they breed for everything!!! Appearance, working abilities, etc.
Not sure how I can correct someone that already "hates" the "show line side" but SV conformation is a BREEDING evaluation. That is what it is, and always has been, and always will be. It's not fair to cheat and it's not fair to show a dog that clearly will be disqualified when it is otherwise a very, very nice animal. That's like me saying I hate basketball because no one will let me shoot with a soccerball instead.

I don't know anything about cocker spaniels in the UK and am not sure how that is relevant....
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I don't know anything about cocker spaniels in the UK and am not sure how that is relevant....
I'm guessing she viewed this documentary and is referencing it in a very loosely connected manner to the GSDs in the British conformation ring and then making a leap to showlines in general.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Oh yes, that "documentary" (full of agenda) where they found one of the typey-iest show dogs out there with some of the poorest handling and used that to condemn the entire breed worldwide.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.