Spaying my 6month old GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Spaying my 6month old GSD

Hello!

My GSD is just under 7 months and I am debating on when to spay her. Our breeder told us that we should not spay her until she is 14 months old so that he body can grow and so we don't throw the horomones off. She said if we were to spay early, we could run into a greater risk for hip problems.

However, almost every vet I have talked to suggested 5-6 months. They felt the risk for breast cancer was greater if we waited to spay, and they felt that had more chance of happening than spaying early and getting hip displaysia.

Does anyone have any opinions? I'm not sure what to do or who to trust; I just want what's best for my girl.

Thank you!
GSDSchatzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

if i were going to neuter my dog he/she would be 2 yrs oldor older.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Home Forums Active Topics Photo Gallery User CP New Posts Search Quick Links Dog Food Free Delivery Log Out
On the bar at the top of the page is a search function, both simple and advanced. It works quite well for a forum site - much better than the old search options! But go through and start looking at old threads. You will find a ton of opinions.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's up to you, but I've always spayed females at 6 months with no issues, they've all lived long healthy lives. I simply don't want to deal with heat cycles, but that's my choice. If you're comfortable with your vet's recommendation then go for it, otherwise wait a little and do it later on

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

We spayed Libby at 6mos. when her baby teeth all fell out. She's never had any health issues and gets around wonderfully (she's only 38lb. now though, a Collie).
She has no spay incontinence and she's now 10yrs. old! It's wonderful to not have to do breast exams on her.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

look throughout the forum how many problems arose as side effects from spaying at this age .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I have to say that spaying young and hip problems have nothing in common. If a dog has anything wrong with hips or elbows it comes down to genetics not how early you spay or neuter. Spay her at 5-6 months. Thats when my vet told me to spay and I would listen but like some others I didnt want to deal with heat cycles either. Getting her spayed earlier is better than waiting until later I think. Every dog I grew up with, (labs) got spayed before 6 months and none have had anyy issues with it..no "side effects" But do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is a link to read that lists the benefits vs. risks

Long-Term Health Risks and Benefits Associated with Spay / Neuter in Dogs

and here is an interview with Dr. Sue - Cancer vet
This blog is from a vet clinic - the "Angry Vet" part was to catch attention from the public (and sure to boost buisness), but he promotes responsible vetting and takes into consideration home-made diets, spay and neuter, as well as over vaccination. He did an interview with Dr. Sue who wrote Dog Cancer Survival Guide

In this Q & A, she notes that the threat of mammary cancer is greater the longer you wait, but easily fixed by surgery. When you factor in bone cancer, hemagiosarcoma etc. which are at greater risk of developing from early spay and are more aggressive cancers...

Dr Sue Cancer Vet | Angry Vet

Here is her considerations...note: there is a Q & A forum at the bottom, Angry Vet and Dr. Sue answer some questions and ppl tell of their exp. w/early spay

Here, our recommendation is:
- to spay females sometime between the third and fourth heats – which will have the added benefit of reducing the risk of mammary cancer;
- to neuter males sometime between the ages of eighteen and twenty-four months.
Most dogs reach sexual maturity at about twenty-four months, approximately at the fourth heat in females. At this point in their development, dogs have received the protective benefit of adult sexual hormones and are at a decreased risk for the cancers mentioned above. This recommendation is not one size fits all. Consider your breed’s risk for cancers. I recommend you consult with your vet to make a decision on a case-by-case basis.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
- to spay females sometime between the third and fourth heats – which will have the added benefit of reducing the risk of mammary cancer;
This is not accurate.
It's been documented that after the 2nd and 3rd heats, there is no added benefit regarding breast cancer. The longer you wait to spay the worse it gets, and one in 4 unspayed females will develop breast cancer.

The best time to do it to avoid almost any chance of breast cancer, is before the 1st heat.

We discussed this very issue with our vet, so it's quite fresh in my mind.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I quoted and provided a link from a CANCER vet.

The risks of all the more aggressive cancers are greater and harder to treat w/more discomfort drugs aggressive treatment and high mortality rate.

Just do a forum search on hemagiosarcoma and see what these dogs and owners went through. In fact there is a sticky at the top of "health issues"

Bone cancer, lymphoma, bladder cancer are all higher. My neighbours husband died from bladder cancer.

If not enough, then google hormone imbalances and how they relate to itchy skin, hair loss, cushings, hypothyroidism...not just about cancer.

Would you remove the ovaries of a 12 yr old girl? Think about women who have hysterectomies at child bearing years...forced into early menopause and the side effects of.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.