German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   Diarrhea (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/196434-diarrhea.html)

Ase19 12-16-2012 12:12 AM

Diarrhea

My gsd is almost 5 months old, and has had the runs for the last 48 hrs. I have been feeding him the same thing for the last 3 months, a can pf pedigree soft food mixxed with 2 scoops of pedigree hard puppy chow. What can I do to cure this?

AngieW 12-16-2012 01:20 AM

Short term, you can feed him some canned pumpkin to see if that fixes things up. Make sure that it is 100% pumpkin. I would start off with maybe 1/2 of a can mixed with the hard puppy chow. See if that fixes him up.

I doubt that it actually will stop the diarrhea, but it might make it possible for you to make it to Monday morning before the seeing the vet instead of going to the emergency vet.

You have to watch out for dehydration.

Momto2GSDs 12-16-2012 07:44 AM

You can also add some "Slippery Elm" to calm his inners. Solaray Slippery Elm can be purchased at a health food store and not expensive. Open one or two capsules and sprinkle on each feeding.
Also make sure he doesn't have worms.
Just fyi, Pedigree uses "by-products" in their ingredients, so each batch produced is different. You may have gotten a lot that doesn't agree with your baby.
Hope this helps!:)

3dognite 12-16-2012 08:48 AM

I usually feed ground beef that's been browned and drained (or chicken, or elk or venison, depends on what's handiest), mixed with about the same amount of cooked brown rice. It usually clears up the problem in just a few feedings. Then I transition them back onto their "regular" dog food.

Courtney 12-16-2012 09:26 AM

Everything suggested are good for easing an upset tummy. Just watch that your boy does not dehydrate from the diarrhea. If no improvement by tomorrow morning I would recommend a vet visit.

msvette2u 12-16-2012 10:38 AM

Pedigree is a very low quality food with little to no real meat in it, and a ton of byproducts (like Mom 2 said).
It also has BHA and BHT in it, at least one of which is a known carcinogen. Pedigree's main ingredient is corn, more biologically appropriate to chickens.

I am not going to say run out and by the highest/priciest food out there, but Kirkland Signature (costco) has no byproducts, no corn, no wheat, and no soy.

The list we give our adopters is: Recommended foods: Kirkland Signature/Diamond NATURALS (not plain Diamond), Canidae, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Solid Gold, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, etc.
No Science Diet or Purina or anything that has corn, wheat, soybean, by-products in it or excessive/multiple grains

pancake 12-17-2012 02:06 AM

yeah definitely dont feed pedigree. almost for the same price you can get something semi decent like Core Wellness or go up SLIGHTLY more expensive like nutro or blue buffalo

msvette2u 12-17-2012 11:02 AM

Nutro's not a lot better and when the recalls went out, there were a lot of Nutros on it.
Blue Buffalo is good, but regular Kirkland is good too without the sticker shock of some of the BB formulas.