Water for a puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Water for a puppy

We feed our puppy and adult GSD 3 times (small) per day. We normally left our adult GSD's water out 24 hours a day, but our breeder suggested not having the puppies water out at all times. She suggested removing it at about 7pm and not having it in the crate at all when he is in there. How do/did you all handle it?
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is your puppy? I assume s/he's not housebroken yet?

I've never put water in the crate, and I pick up the water bowl in the evening so puppy can't tank down a bunch right before bed, but there was no set time. I think it was usually between 8 and 9, and if the puppy seemed really thirsty I'd let them have a few sips before bed.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boy was not crated at night, but he was confined to my bedroom. So he had access to water before we went to bed but he had no access to it during the night.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN GSD Fan View Post
We feed our puppy and adult GSD 3 times (small) per day. We normally left our adult GSD's water out 24 hours a day, but our breeder suggested not having the puppies water out at all times. She suggested removing it at about 7pm and not having it in the crate at all when he is in there. How do/did you all handle it?
I do what your breeder suggests. Helps site up your puppy to succeed in housebreaking and crate training.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I read a crate training manual that said to "always have fresh water available for the puppy"... pfft safe to say I woke up a few nights/ mornings having to clean my boy up and his crate.

I had to regulate his water intake a lot more carefully, as he was the type to just drink it cause it's there, I gave him water when i know he was thirsty (in the morning/after meals/walks/playtime/treat based training etc).

Now I can leave a bowl out most of the day, but I put it up around 9pm, as I don't want to set him up for failure and have him peeing in the house at night. If I hear heavy panting I'll give him a few sips but that's it. I've started leaving the crate open at night this past week and haven't found any wet spots when I get up, he's woken me up twice whining to go outside... so I'm hoping that trend continues.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had water out till 7 pm. Until Maya was about 6 months old. By then she was house broken. Now have it out 24 hrs. A day.
gotahaveaGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. He is only 8 weeks old so maybe we'll continue with picking up the water after supper unless he is panting. We'll try to leave it out of the crate totally unless you think it would be better to just have a small amount in it while we are at work?
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. He is only 8 weeks old so maybe we'll continue with picking up the water after supper unless he is panting. We'll try to leave it out of the crate totally unless you think it would be better to just have a small amount in it while we are at work?
I'm sure others know more than I do but I'd rather have him/her be little thirsty, than have to sit in his/her own pee until you get home. It's not like he/ she is running around or anything that would make him/her extra thirsty. JMO.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
How long are you at work/leaving him in the crate?

What's the temperature?

I am no expert, and don't use crates so can't help there but surely an 8 week old puppy shouldn't be going prolonged periods without access to water.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

If the puppy is just sleeping in his crate overnight (and if you're 8 week old puppy makes it through the WHOLE night without waking you up once, I'm jealous!) then they don't need water from about 8 or 9 pm til the morning (about 6 or 7 say).

If it's too warm or hot in the room, then yes, the puppy will need water. But if the room is cool and the puppy is sleeping, and that's it ... they can certainly go the night without water.

All of my "puppies" had water taken away around 10 at night and then I put it down for them in the morning (around 5 am) and they were fine.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.