German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   we have a visiting dog for the weekend (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/196388-we-have-visiting-dog-weekend.html)

AngieW 12-15-2012 10:49 AM

we have a visiting dog for the weekend

The friend we are dog-sitting for is going to have an extremely exhausted dog when he gets back from Germany.

Kylie LOVES having somebody to play with. Ginger is 7-8yo (she was found in a parking lot 6 years ago so we don't really know how old she is) and loves other dogs, but Kylie is really trying her patience.

I took them for a walk together this morning and they did really well. I was worried about lots of leash tangling, but they just walked side-by-side. They only crossed their leashes a few times and there was no pulling.

They definitely do better outside. When they are outside, Ginger can stand still in the middle of the yard while Kylie runs in circles around her, hoping that Ginger will chase her.

Ginger does give in and chase her periodically and Kylie loves that.

Once Kylie gets tired out, they lie down side-by-side on the floor.

Nigel 12-15-2012 01:47 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun! Is Ginger a GSD?

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 12-15-2012 02:04 PM

That is so cool. Ginger gets to play and Kylie as a buddy . have fun . how long is Ginger w/ you?

AngieW 12-15-2012 04:58 PM

Ginger is a red heeler. It is SO nice having her here. With Ginger here, we can actually leave Kylie alone for a little while because instead of getting into mischief as soon as we turn our backs, she just riles up Ginger into chasing her instead. They have both run so much that they are curled up sleeping on the floor just a few feet apart.

This wouldn't work with another puppy. It only works because Ginger is a fully-trained dog with a lot of patience who also really likes dogs.

Our friend arrives back home again on Sunday, but I'm not sure what time, so I don't know if she's going back home on Sunday or Monday.

GusGus 12-15-2012 05:13 PM

I know this isn't your dog...but I would hope you're not going to leave us without any photos of this doggie fest.

AngieW 12-15-2012 06:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures are here. I'm not sure what the size requirements are for this forum though. In the first picture, they were patiently taking turns drinking from the water bowl. I had already refilled it once and ended up refilling it twice. They had been running full-tilt in the backyard for the previous thirty minutes and were very thirsty.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 12-15-2012 06:45 PM

Tired dogs equals less busy owner!

Nigel 12-15-2012 07:04 PM

Kylie seems to be "studying" Gingers drinking technique.

1sttimeforgsd 12-15-2012 08:17 PM

They are so cute, and it is good that they play together so well.

mjnitsche 12-18-2012 12:52 PM

How cute, don't you just love watching them play. My daughter has a red heeler/GSD mix and my Nemo loves playing with him when he comes to visit. They are best buds. So much fun to watch them go full tilt all day then when they crash they crash, lol.