Is my gsd pup single/semi-long/long coat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my gsd pup single/semi-long/long coat?

Hi guys! I just recently signed up for this group and I hope we can all be friends!

So about this thread, I'd like to ask what do you think my GSD pup Aslan's coat would be? Is it single coat, semi-long, or long coat? He is currently 14 weeks old.

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Last edited by aileenbokingo; 12-13-2012 at 10:25 PM.
aileenbokingo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know, but he's adorable!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I don't know, but he's adorable!
thanks! yeah I have to agree with what you said, he's real cutie.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Anyway, here's a picture of his mom & dad for your reference.

SIRE

DAM - This is a pic a few days after she delivered her litter, so yeah, she's not in a not so good shape here.

So what d'ya think guys? I got Aslan from a place called Bukidnon, the climate there is kinda cold compared to where we are living today where it's hot during 8am-3pm. I just opened it up cause they say the climate can also effect the pup's hair growth.

Last edited by aileenbokingo; 12-14-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For the German Shepherd, there are two coat types. Stock coat (not single, stock coats are still double coated) and long stock coat. There are other terms many people use to describe the long stock coats that are short, the most common term being "plush." Most long stock coats are still double coated (that is, undercoat and guard hairs on the outer coat) but very rarely there are supposedly some that do not have an undercoat. I've personally never met one of these.

Both of the pups parents would technically be long stock coats, though they have very short coats for a long stock. Your pup looks like a stock coat to me but may indeed be a bit fluffier like the parents. Most commonly, long stock coated puppies have ear "floofies" which is tufts of fur sticking out of their ears.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
For the German Shepherd, there are two coat types. Stock coat (not single, stock coats are still double coated) and long stock coat. There are other terms many people use to describe the long stock coats that are short, the most common term being "plush." Most long stock coats are still double coated (that is, undercoat and guard hairs on the outer coat) but very rarely there are supposedly some that do not have an undercoat. I've personally never met one of these.

Both of the pups parents would technically be long stock coats, though they have very short coats for a long stock. Your pup looks like a stock coat to me but may indeed be a bit fluffier like the parents. Most commonly, long stock coated puppies have ear "floofies" which is tufts of fur sticking out of their ears.
Thanks for the input Rerun! Well my GSD pup actually has those "floofies" in the ears just like you mentioned, also some in his cheeks and lower chest part.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He will have the same kind of long coat as his parents - they are long stocks, but not Collie type of long coats. My Nyxie is the same way, she is a long coat but just barely. 2 long coats will produce only long coats since it is a recessive gene. Since his parents are long coats he and his entire litter is as well.

www.SpiritedShepherds.com
IntCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN RA BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie (LC GSD)
Int JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory (Shiloh Shepherd)
Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala (Aussie)
spiritsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritsmom View Post
He will have the same kind of long coat as his parents - they are long stocks, but not Collie type of long coats. My Nyxie is the same way, she is a long coat but just barely. 2 long coats will produce only long coats since it is a recessive gene. Since his parents are long coats he and his entire litter is as well.
Wow, thanks spiritsmom! I was kinda worried because I thought the hot climate will affect the growth of his coat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.