Puppy beating up our 2 year old Bulldog. what can we do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy beating up our 2 year old Bulldog. what can we do?

Our old english bulldogge has been extremely tolerant of the new addition to our family but Tango (11week Gsd) doesn't seem to be taking any of the hints subtle or overt that she doesn't appreciate the bites to the face. Toy redirection fails and he ignores his known negative marker sound "ah ah." Maggie, the bulldogge, has given him plenty of warning with growls and defers to me to handle the problem. I have allowed her to defend herself and she will hold him down until he stops fighting but as soon as she releases him he's back in her face. I don't want to have to separate them because he needs constant supervision and it's not fair to Maggie to isolate her. I'm out of ideas on how to deal with this.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-12-2012 at 11:25 AM.
TangoDown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Your bulldog is a saint and doing what they should, trying to manage WHILE waiting for help to come.

And that help should be you coming up with better ways to manage the PUPPY.

Crate the puppy for a timeout (not a punishment)

YOU need to step up as a playmate for your puppy so your poor bulldog isn't the only game in town. You brought the puppy into the house so its your job to teach it to play with the humans when it is bored.

Exercise outside the house/yard for the puppy. New places, car rides, people, dogs.

Have you been able to sign up for some good puppy classes yet?

Tons of great info Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

:-)
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply. He has not been in any puppy classes but he tags along to Maggie's group obedience lessons for the extra dog socialization opportunities with known dogs. I take them outside separately to play and engagement train him. that wears him out but when Maggie is sleeping or doesn't want to be bothered and I engage the puppy she suddenly wants to play (she will retrieve or tug until physical collapse). I will bring up the issues with our trainer on Saturday. For now I'll just take him out without Maggie when he starts biting and tire him out. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

You could stuff them both in the same t shirt.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Haha, That shirt is great. Just got back in from taking Tango out and they are currently sleeping next to each other. I just gotta get him to stop grabbing her face and all will be well in the world.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Puppies will do this and you will need to separate them and give your Bulldog a break from the little guy. Crate, ex-pen, gate in the kitchen. They all work.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

LMAO I love that T-shirt!!!! I bet my mom wishes she had one of those when we were kids!

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new puppy!

MaggieRoseLee gave you some excellent advice!

Your bulldog is a saint ... but she shouldn't expect to be. And when your GSD grows up, it will be a whole new ballgame of "roughness."

There's certainly nothing wrong in having them play together, but the second it gets too amped - your pup is biting, the bulldog has had enough ... time to separate.

And, yes, the crate is a great place for the pup to calm down - 10 - 15 minutes, and during this time, you give the bulldog lots of love.

Then, out comes the puppy, and if you have to, put the bulldog in another room, or at least at a distance away from the puppy to do a great play session with him. Or bring him outside ... or something.

You're going to have your hands full ... I hope your in training classes soon LOL!!!

have fun!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

That Tshirt is excellent! I may have to do that with my teens over the winter break, LOL!!

My puppy *thankfully* has my pug, who doesn't mind being mauled all the time in play. She gives as good as she gets. I can't imagine what you're going through! Grim has (for the most part) heeded the 'warnings' from the old gal. It's curious that your pup is ignoring that with your bulldog. I know my wife would take your bulldog in a heartbeat! Gates to protect her or if she's allowed on the bed, putting her in the bedroom for some downtime may work. I'd also crate the pup a few times a day to allow play with the bulldog so she doesn't feel left out. I don't know how long of walks you're taking with your pup, but it sounds like more is needed. Good luck, and how about some pics of both of them?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.