Do you think I should get a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red face Do you think I should get a puppy?

Hello, I have been lurking around this forum for a while now, and I think its time to ask, what do you guys think?

I have always wanted a GSD since I was a kid, and I honestly couldn't tell you why, its just one of those things that you kind of just know, like your favorite food, or color.

I really want a puppy, I have already talked to a breeder in my area about a future litter of German working line pups, (I don't mind a pretty dog, but what I really care for is good health and attitude) as a companion, but also as an "adventure dog" so to speak, we will be doing a lot of hiking and camping together (maybe even travel?) and of course spending a lot of time training( whats a best friend worth without communication!) protection is also important to me.

but here in lies the problem... I am only 19, I am very worried about my foggy future, what if i lose my job? what if a travel opportunity comes up, that my dog cant be included in? what if I regret not waiting for some other reason?

I have a good Job right now, and time, and I may not get another chance to get a puppy for a while, I have been thinking about this everyday, and I am really stuck in between fear on the unknown/commitment, and strong want for companionship/something to make my life less boring

so, what do you think?
Sawwahbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It depends on you and your devotion to the dog, IMO.
I got my female west German working line as an early 16th birthday gift. I am now 18, she is 2 yrs, 8 months. She is always with me, I do everything for her. I have no concerns about our future because I got her before I had a real job, and always found a way to make it work without anyone else having to help.
This was done out of determination and devotion.

One thing I will say, is that none of us can tell you if you should get the pup. I would never go anywhere my dog couldn't follow, so I never had to worry about traveling as a question. Other members may be able to help more.
My point in posting is this: being a young adult doesn't make or break whether or not you should get one. Your devotion, lifestyle, etc does..
Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

This is a VERY SERIOUS decision.

I think if you get a puppy, you need to make the decision THEN that the puppy is a member of your family. He/she is NOT something you get "for now". You need to be ready to turn down opportunities if they render you incapable of caring for your dog. I would sleep on a park bench and beg if the alternative was getting rid of my dog.

You need to decide NOW that this puppy is yours for life. If you are offered a job in a place where you can't take your dog? That job is not for you.

If you think you might not want a dog when you get married, don't get a puppy.

If you think you might now want a dog when you start having children, don't get a puppy.

If you think at any time in the next 15+ years, you will ever say "I just don't have time for him/her..." or "I can't take care of him/her like he/she deserves", DO NOT GET A PUPPY.

If you can't do all of that, don't get a puppy.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitsisqua View Post
This is a VERY SERIOUS decision.

I think if you get a puppy, you need to make the decision THEN that the puppy is a member of your family. He/she is NOT something you get "for now". You need to be ready to turn down opportunities if they render you incapable of caring for your dog. I would sleep on a park bench and beg if the alternative was getting rid of my dog.

You need to decide NOW that this puppy is yours for life. If you are offered a job in a place where you can't take your dog? That job is not for you.

If you think you might not want a dog when you get married, don't get a puppy.

If you think you might now want a dog when you start having children, don't get a puppy.

If you think at any time in the next 15+ years, you will ever say "I just don't have time for him/her..." or "I can't take care of him/her like he/she deserves", DO NOT GET A PUPPY.

If you can't do all of that, don't get a puppy.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I have no concerns about our future because I got her before I had a real job, and always found a way to make it work without anyone else having to help.
This was done out of determination and devotion.
how did you accomplish this?

Thank you both for the reply, I admire your devotion, and I agree with you, I know that the main thing holding me back is fear that I wont be able to do all those things that Anitsisqua and you were saying, but the thing is, I REALLY want to, i just dont know if i can.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Welcome to the forum.

We can't make the decision for you, but we'll certainly give you a huge list of things to think about!

My dad is ex-military, so I've already had the pleasure of travelling all over the world. There are two places left I want to go ... and I might or might not get there. Otherwise, I'm NOT a fan of travelling.

I've had animals all my life. I made a conscious decision when I moved out of the "family" home that I would rather have animals than kids, and would rather be home / out and about with my animals than travelling to other places.

From some people's point of view - I have given up "a lot" - free time to do whatever "I" want to do ... go out for supper right after work, spend the night at a friend's house at the drop of a hat, etc.

However, what "these" people don't realize is that I'm not giving anything up ... if I really wanted to do those things, I'd make arrangements for my zoo ... i.e. run home for 10-15 minutes and then run back. I have a car, so it's not like it's a 3 hour delay.

I hate shopping, unless it's for a book, fabric or something for my animals - I save money by not spending on doo-dahs ... but can drop $500 on my zoo in 10 minutes flat LOL

Are you young for the sole responsibility of a dog? Of course you are ... but if you can afford it (purchasing the puppy, buying a crate, food, toys, vet, training, etc.) and if you are a responsible, devoted person you can do it - certainly helps if you have more than a "decent" job (making more than minimum wage).

Other things you need to consider:

What if you have a dog, and then in a year or so you meet someone and it is getting serious but they don't like your dog? What if your dog doesn't like them? (I already know what my answer would be - bye bye guy - but not everyone's like that ... and it is something you need to consider!)

How much time can you devote to this dog? Training, exercise - all takes time and at the beginning money!

How much money can you set aside monthly? (No pet is cheap .. well goldfish, but not quite the same deal!)

Good luck with your decision! And don't feel bad if after a while you realize you're not ready ... that's a good thing!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I did babysitting, pet sitting, dog walking, looked for side jobs anywhere I could (construction, cleaning, helping family friends train their dogs for small amounts of cash), tutoring, etc.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
My point in posting is this: being a young adult doesn't make or break whether or not you should get one. Your devotion, lifestyle, etc does..

I don't know anyone that can see 15 years in the future and what may or may not happen in their lives. I, personally, would not sleep on a park bench and beg to keep my dog. If I could no longer provide adequate care, then I would take the necessary steps to place them in a proper home.

Dogs/puppies are a big responsibility and it is up to you to decide whether or not you can provide a stable, loving, permanent home. I think it's great that you are taking the time to consider future possibilities in your life before making a decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Lakl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Welcome to the forum.

We can't make the decision for you, but we'll certainly give you a huge list of things to think about!

My dad is ex-military, so I've already had the pleasure of travelling all over the world. There are two places left I want to go ... and I might or might not get there. Otherwise, I'm NOT a fan of travelling.

I've had animals all my life. I made a conscious decision when I moved out of the "family" home that I would rather have animals than kids, and would rather be home / out and about with my animals than travelling to other places.

From some people's point of view - I have given up "a lot" - free time to do whatever "I" want to do ... go out for supper right after work, spend the night at a friend's house at the drop of a hat, etc.

However, what "these" people don't realize is that I'm not giving anything up ... if I really wanted to do those things, I'd make arrangements for my zoo ... i.e. run home for 10-15 minutes and then run back. I have a car, so it's not like it's a 3 hour delay.

I hate shopping, unless it's for a book, fabric or something for my animals - I save money by not spending on doo-dahs ... but can drop $500 on my zoo in 10 minutes flat LOL

Are you young for the sole responsibility of a dog? Of course you are ... but if you can afford it (purchasing the puppy, buying a crate, food, toys, vet, training, etc.) and if you are a responsible, devoted person you can do it - certainly helps if you have more than a "decent" job (making more than minimum wage).

Other things you need to consider:

What if you have a dog, and then in a year or so you meet someone and it is getting serious but they don't like your dog? What if your dog doesn't like them? (I already know what my answer would be - bye bye guy - but not everyone's like that ... and it is something you need to consider!)

How much time can you devote to this dog? Training, exercise - all takes time and at the beginning money!

How much money can you set aside monthly? (No pet is cheap .. well goldfish, but not quite the same deal!)

Good luck with your decision! And don't feel bad if after a while you realize you're not ready ... that's a good thing!
Thank you for the reply.

I have no problem with affording it at the monument, but I know that i don't want to keep this job forever, Im very optimistic, and i think i could get a better job that i like more, but that might require that Im out of work for a while doing volunteer stuff of something, thats one of the reasons i want to get a puppy now, as it will be the most expensive time in the dogs life, after he is older, we might be vagabonds together (i dont know) and i dont know if i will be able to afford the time and money for the puppy faze in the next stange of my life.

and
if the dog doesnt like a person i meet, i know there is a reason for it! i wouldnt ignore that, bye bye guy!

as for travel, it is something that is important to me, but there are positives to traveling with a dog, i don't want to be alone, it would be safer. right?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

I thought the same things you did, really very similar. If you have any reservations, be prepared if and when they actually occur, if you are responsible, you must have the ability to handle them. It is a commitment. I think the best way is to speak to your breeder what is holding you back and gauge from there, they should have some advice that would best help you.

PS I think that a GSD is a great trekking companion.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.