Do you think I should get a puppy? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Knighted Member

To tell you the truth...a dog is a really big commitment. I got mine when I was 21 (23 now) and there are certain things that you have to miss out on (good and bad). I wouldn't have wanted one at 19 (still having too much fun in college) but at 21 I had graduated, moved in with my GF (she was still in school), and so late nights out were generally behind me. But I know I would've regretted it later if I had missed those times earlier in my life.

It's also nice having an excuse to go home early when friends want to be out until 2 AM and you don't. But traveling is an issue as I have family in Europe and do need to go back there once in a while (plus while I'm young Europe is much more affordable than when I get a family). We are lucky and have family that took care of my boy for 10 days while we were gone, but if we didn't have that you'd have to consider an extra $200+ just to kennel him during the trip.

There are plenty of places in the United States where you can travel with a dog...but surprisingly a lot are also restrictive. Not all hotels/motels except dogs. I wouldn't take my dog on a trip to Las Vegas, New York City, Washington DC or anywhere that there is a lot of indoor sight seeing. Most National Parks are very restrictive about dogs, if they allow them its only in certain areas. Restaurants don't really allow dogs in (some with patios are fine) but those are closed in the winter months and personally I wouldn't drag my dog to a place just to leave him in a hotel room for hours at a time while I go sight seeing.

There are a lot of plusses and minuses to owning a dog while you're young (especially a puppy) but you really won't understand the "restrictions" it places on your life until you get one. I was a bit more set in my life, schedule wise and work wise before I got a dog and luckily there are two of us so if one person can't make it home for some reason the other person will surely be able to. But there are many times that I've done things where I wouldn't have been able to unless I had my GF home to watch my dog like last weekend I went to Chicago overnight for the Bears game and she was home with the dog, without her, would've had to figure out other arrangements.

Lots and lots to think about when it comes to a dog fitting into your life, sadly, most of it you'll only figure out when you have a dog lol.

Also...reputable breeders will allow you to see the dogs if you have a good relationship with them. I was just over at a friend of mines and got to play with their 6 week old puppies for a few hours, and I'm not even getting one. I will add though that I have been training with these people for over 2 years now and know them much better than just a few phone calls.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It is impossible for most of us to predict the future so I would play it as safe as possible and get an older dog that is past all this crazy puppy/adolescent stuff that you read about in this forum.
If we would only get a dog when we knew for sure what lies ahead of us,hardly anyone could make that decision. I have always made the decisions based on the here and what I knew for sure in the present and very near future. Then crossed the bridges when I got there. Has always worked out.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

how did you decide upon "this" pup . can you post a pedigree or web site -
breeder sounds good so far - they took the time and have an interest in he pups future
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
To tell you the truth...a dog is a really big commitment. I got mine when I was 21 (23 now) and there are certain things that you have to miss out on (good and bad). I wouldn't have wanted one at 19 (still having too much fun in college) but at 21 I had graduated, moved in with my GF (she was still in school), and so late nights out were generally behind me. But I know I would've regretted it later if I had missed those times earlier in my life.

It's also nice having an excuse to go home early when friends want to be out until 2 AM and you don't. But traveling is an issue as I have family in Europe and do need to go back there once in a while (plus while I'm young Europe is much more affordable than when I get a family). We are lucky and have family that took care of my boy for 10 days while we were gone, but if we didn't have that you'd have to consider an extra $200+ just to kennel him during the trip.

There are plenty of places in the United States where you can travel with a dog...but surprisingly a lot are also restrictive. Not all hotels/motels except dogs. I wouldn't take my dog on a trip to Las Vegas, New York City, Washington DC or anywhere that there is a lot of indoor sight seeing. Most National Parks are very restrictive about dogs, if they allow them its only in certain areas. Restaurants don't really allow dogs in (some with patios are fine) but those are closed in the winter months and personally I wouldn't drag my dog to a place just to leave him in a hotel room for hours at a time while I go sight seeing.

There are a lot of plusses and minuses to owning a dog while you're young (especially a puppy) but you really won't understand the "restrictions" it places on your life until you get one. I was a bit more set in my life, schedule wise and work wise before I got a dog and luckily there are two of us so if one person can't make it home for some reason the other person will surely be able to. But there are many times that I've done things where I wouldn't have been able to unless I had my GF home to watch my dog like last weekend I went to Chicago overnight for the Bears game and she was home with the dog, without her, would've had to figure out other arrangements.

Lots and lots to think about when it comes to a dog fitting into your life, sadly, most of it you'll only figure out when you have a dog lol.

Also...reputable breeders will allow you to see the dogs if you have a good relationship with them. I was just over at a friend of mines and got to play with their 6 week old puppies for a few hours, and I'm not even getting one. I will add though that I have been training with these people for over 2 years now and know them much better than just a few phone calls.
thank you for the reply,

I think that if i was in your situation, I would have made a similar decision,
but i think my college lifestyle and idea of travel is much different then what yours was, one of the reasons I think a dog would be an excellent companion for me at this time is because of all the things that I do now that would complement that. I don't stay out late all that often, and when I do, i don't often go places that a dog couldn't accompany me (close friends houses with a few really cool people, exploring the city, my house playing video games) as for travel, I would most likely be camping or staying in a cheap place, and the tourist attractions I would like to see are mainly outdoors(mt Rushmore, grand canyon)
I would love to save up and backpack around Europe, staying in youth hostels and that sort of thing.(it seems far fetched but this is what a dream about!) and I think that a dog would be a great protection for me, and also great company. I don't know how a dog would limit me in this situation though, something I should definitely research
Sawwahbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rei
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawwahbear View Post
Thank you all so much for sharing your stories!
I definitely feel more confident about all the different possibilities for the future and how my dog ownership will affect it.
and your stories are all very heart warming.
If it comes down to who I am, I think it is definitely meant to be.
as for when is the right time, I guess no matter how I am, I will never know what the future holds, there are so many positives at this moment,(having someone who is always happy to see me, to get me off my computer and outside, make me feel safe on those dark rainy Oregon nights, confident during those rainy Oregon days!, to keep me working, thinking about the future, maybe even motivate me to complete my goals...) worrying about the unknown seems like a waste.

I guess my plan now is to wait until the puppies are born and when I go see them I think I will know what I really want to do
Welcome from another 19 year old Oregonian. I'm the owner of a soon to be 4 year old German Shepherd Dog from working lines. I did not get the dog I was expecting, but a dog that was so much more than a companion. There are a lot of uncertainties at any point in our lives, but truly some potentially pivotal periods around our age. I am lucky to have the financial and emotional support of my family, and in the case of an emergency, I will at least have them to back me up, even if I am in charge of my dog's overall finances and am the sole owner.

Also, remember that it is a pain to rent with a GSD (as I've found out recently)! But that aside, as already said before, it depends on a lot more than age and some "what if"s. I do not recommend going by your gut instinct upon seeing puppies - usually, they are hard to walk away from so your opinion may be swayed I have promised myself that I will wait another two years before my second German Shepherd, but even looking at dogs on Petfinder softens my resolve.

Out of curiosity, which breeder are you considering?

Bree - 2/11/08 Tuxedo DLH Cat

Raina - 8/12/11 Black Smoke DLH Cat

Rei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
how did you decide upon "this" pup . can you post a pedigree or web site -
breeder sounds good so far - they took the time and have an interest in he pups future
I wanted someone within driving distance (I would have gone a state away if I had too) so i could meet the breeders in person and see the parents for myself, so I could make a proper assessment.

I also looked for someone with a website, I feel as though someone who put the effort into making a website shows they are a bit more serious, and weeds out "back yard breeders"

Here it is: German Shepherd Puppies for Sale | German Shepherd Breeder | Puppies in Oregon

I looked up AKC and Health certification and everything, but what really sold it for me was the direct German line and schutzhund certification in the grandparents, after doing research I found that in Germany the requirements for these things are a lot harder to meet. and as it is a working line, they are bread for health, and temperament more so then in the show lines (you need these things more so for a proper working dog)

not to mention that after meeting his dogs i was very impressed (especially the sire)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawwahbear View Post

Here it is: German Shepherd Puppies for Sale | German Shepherd Breeder | Puppies in Oregon

I looked up AKC and Health certification and everything, but what really sold it for me was the direct German line and schutzhund certification in the grandparents, after doing research I found that in Germany the requirements for these things are a lot harder to meet. and as it is a working line, they are bread for health, and temperament more so then in the show lines (you need these things more so for a proper working dog)
at least from what I have read, but if anyone can tell me anything about this particular line, or anything I should know I would appreciate it!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #28 (permalink)
DTS
Master Member

I got my first gsd at 19. I'm 21 now. I was in college (still am) and had the class schedule and no work to be able to work with the pup, be around all the time for the most part I wasn't gone more than 4 hours. I did get her at 16 weeks. If I had to get a puppy now I couldn't do it. My schedule is so heavy I'm gone 8-10 hrs a day and I'm starting clinical rotations where ill be gone 10-12 hrs a day. 2 years ago I had no clue I'd be in this program. We have had to move which has been difficult due to breed restrictions but we found a place. But luckily she's older now and can handle being gone and my bf will be starting a new program so he will be home when I'm not so it works out.
True we can't stay over night somewhere with friends and we miss out on a lot due to having to take care of her but I don't mind bc I love my dog and I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I had time to go to classes with her and get her foundation training OB classes and I'm glad I got her. She's made these lasts two years great for us. We've had ups and downs with her but have worked hard training. When I graduate in August my job will require 40 hrs a week plus on call and overtime.. No way I'd have time for a pup but she's older now so it's not so hard plus I have my BF to help.
Just my story.
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just a comment on your travel plans...I get it that those places are outside but I'd really look into how welcome dogs are in those areas. They are nature preserves and a lot of those places don't want your animals bringing in any unneeded germs to the equation. As for Europe...forget it. There is no need to put a dog through the stress of flying in an airplane because you want to backpack through Europe. Although Europe is in general dog friendly...hostels are tiny little places where I doubt they'd let a dog stay (especially because you generally share rooms with other people and then you have to consider allergies or your dog barking all night.

The responsibility of planning for your dog everywhere you go is way more work than you would ever get out of the "protection" from your dog. I just went on a trip to Europe...no backpacking but just traveling to a handful of different cities in a handful of days was stressful enough, no need to have a dog at your side during that time as well.

I know what you mean by going certain places that are "dog friendly" but soon enough you'll realize that your friends might not really want your dog there, and that while you're playing video games your dog is in your face wanting to do something else (I've pretty much stopped playing video games). I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a dog...just pointing out the things I've had to go through since I've gotten mine. And yes, the apartment hunting with a GSD is never that fun, so be on the look out for that.

It does sound like you're thinking things through, but things change once you have an 80 lb GSD and not just a cute little puppy. Take out the time for training, possibly trialing, showing, ect. and all that other stuff you like to do now kind of gets put on the back burner (not a bad thing at all). My dog has become one of my hobbies, the other being golf...and its great, but if its not something you're ready to really own up to it might be a bit weird at first.

You also wrote "exploring the city." Be prepared to not be able to walk into any place...when we go out into the city, I don't bring my dog because I know we'll stop somewhere to eat or drink or just to hang out. And a dog would prevent you from doing that. Recently we're getting a lot more dog friendly places (like a coffee shop/dog wash place) but its not like I'm always going to go there for coffee just so that I could get in with my dog.

Just a couple of warnings...tell you the truth you could definitely handle a dog at this age, its just all the other stuff that you WILL cut out of your life because of it.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

mmmm , it sounds a bit like they went shopping at Kraftwerk and are using those dogs to create a ready made little breeding program. I admit I like the looks of the dogs .

you have to be careful how you read things though as in this example "Zimmerhoff German Shepherd puppy pedigrees have achieved top placings at the highest levels of international competition. " Notice it is not Zimmerhof puppies or progeny achieving top placings it is the puppy PEDIGREES - you can breed the top of the top ultimate dogs together and get not so good at all. (I do like the look of the dogs)
This "This is a RARE OPPORTUNITY for German Shepherd lovers to purchase an East/West Germany working line puppy for much less than some of the more established breeders are asking" is sort of saying you can essentially buy a "kraftwerk" dog from us for less. I believe Kraftwerk is $2,000 and much more for an 8 week pup.

"These pups have international championship lineage " well they don't because these dogs did not enter conformation, they are working trial dogs.

this "Her extraordinary and difficult to replicate dark mahogany sable coloring is matched by her dark pigmentation" .. the comments on "rare mahogany" comes straight from the pages of Kraftwerk -- not rare , I have many like this .

I would certainly have a look at the pups . I am not sure how much support they could give you as far as training, or raising or recommending some support network . They are pretty new themselves. Wonder why Anzel is only $800 , he and Angel very attractive.
Might not be a bad choice.

Last edited by carmspack; 12-11-2012 at 07:33 PM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.