Do you think I should get a puppy? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Re travelling - if you're staying in the states, you shouldn't have any problems ... I don't think there's any issues with crossing states with your dog ... BUT you'd have to make sure you have UTD shots if you leave the states, ... that's the kind of travelling I'm talking about - all over the world travelling!

I want to go to Egypt and Australia ... at some point in my life - those are my "dream countries" to visit ... will I bring my dog? Absolutely not.

Would the dog be a great travelling companion? If you have a great bond with that dog ... s/he'll go ANYWHERE you go ... even jump off a bridge ... not a bond you want to mess with / break because you've changed your mind!

I'm not trying to sound harsh ... there are certainly events that are beyond our control that CAN force people to have to give up their animals (in my mind, I don't have one ... but I'm a bit odd!) ... once you've bonded with your dog (or any pet) ... my personal belief is that you MUST be responsible for it for the rest of it's natural life. This is not something I take lightly, and I cringe when I hear / read about people who "ran out of patience / time / effort" and simply gave the dog away ... or they moved into a house / apt that didn't take pets (that one ticks me off to no end, but that's a whole other rant).

I think it would be a great idea to foster a dog or two (not at the same time LOL) and see how you can manage the schedule ... if you like it / adore it / love it, then sit down with someone who can be objective about YOU and make a list of pros and cons of getting a puppy ... or even a dog ... instead of a puppy. You can still bond with an adult dog!!!
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It is a difficult decision, there are so many unknowns when you are 19. I talked my mother into letting me keep a puppy my friend's family would not let her keep when I was 16. That dog was the best thing for me at the time, I trained it, took it everywhere I could, got to go out exploring places my lazy friends would not do with me. However when I turned 19 I had to move out, my family was so depressing it was affecting my mental health. I could not take my dog, but as much as my family disregarded me, they loved and took very good care of the dog. Plus my sister's new boyfriend (married to her now), was especially good to the dog, and the dog loved him.

So from my experience, if you have good relations with your family or friends that are like family that you know would take great care of your dog if for some reason you had to move without it, then go for it (as long as you have the time to devote to it). You can also look into getting an older puppy or young adult from a GSD rescue.

This may be the beginning of a healthy, new lifestyle. Getting outdoors more, joining clubs and meeting different people from all races and ages.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae View Post
I thought the same things you did, really very similar. If you have any reservations, be prepared if and when they actually occur, if you are responsible, you must have the ability to handle them. It is a commitment. I think the best way is to speak to your breeder what is holding you back and gauge from there, they should have some advice that would best help you.

PS I think that a GSD is a great trekking companion.

so what was the finial push for you to know that you really were ready?

and are you happy that you got one when you did?
Sawwahbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
jae
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawwahbear View Post
so what was the finial push for you to know that you really were ready?

and are you happy that you got one when you did?
It was honestly an impulsive push, said to myself that is it. I am more than glad to have this dog in my life.

It sounds like you did your research and planning, and very responsibly it seems. Now it is your own decision.

Last edited by jae; 12-11-2012 at 03:15 PM.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got my first GSD (really my ex's, but he's my heart dog) when I was 17. My ex and I raised him together, we took him to college with us when we moved out of our hometown, went through a few more moves with him, quit some jobs, got new jobs, etc. Nothing was going to keep me from having that dog. Until now, he stays with my ex half of the time and myself the other half as we broke up. That was the most challenging part, which you will not have to deal with since you'd be getting it by yourself.

Then this year I adopted a pit bull and bought a border collie. I was homeless for two months, my GSD stayed with my ex and my parents watched my Pit Bull and another little dog I had that they kept. I had a great job working too much to care for my dogs the way I wanted to (50-60 hour weeks) so I saved up my money while I was homeless and quit my job and bought a house. Now I'm self-employed and work 12 hours a week and have all the time in the world to spend with my dogs and I love it.

Point is, if you want it to work, you can make it work. It may not be the easiest all the time (I remember hauling crates in and out of the house I frequently slept and showered at while I was homeless over the summer for the dogs; they weren't allowed there permanently, but I was still doing sports and training with them, so in 95% weather all summer, I lugged crates in and out of the house so that I could shower and then we were off to agility; a lot of driving was involved getting to an from their temporary homes.) but having a dog and that relationship with them is totally worth it.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

and THAT is the definition of DEVOTION!
Old 12-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories!
I definitely feel more confident about all the different possibilities for the future and how my dog ownership will affect it.
and your stories are all very heart warming.
If it comes down to who I am, I think it is definitely meant to be.
as for when is the right time, I guess no matter how I am, I will never know what the future holds, there are so many positives at this moment,(having someone who is always happy to see me, to get me off my computer and outside, make me feel safe on those dark rainy Oregon nights, confident during those rainy Oregon days!, to keep me working, thinking about the future, maybe even motivate me to complete my goals...) worrying about the unknown seems like a waste.

I guess my plan now is to wait until the puppies are born and when I go see them I think I will know what I really want to do
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think you need to just think about it until then. Reputable breeders, from what I know, won't let you see the newborn puppies.
Also, most will want a deposit before or at the time of birth.
Deciding upon seeing them, well.. that will likely throw some logic out of the mix
Old 12-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

what kind of questions did the breeder ask you?

I'd like to add that you sound very mature and responsible . I guess questions like where are you living at the moment , how stable and right is this for dog ownership , don't forget the pup becomes a dog ! , needing more space and time for that outdoors walk . I also know that in a lot of work situations young people , especially unmarried without family committments also have pressure put on them to work those extra hours . All things to think about.

Last edited by carmspack; 12-11-2012 at 04:54 PM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
what kind of questions did the breeder ask you?

Why I wanted a GSD compared to other breeds, what my living situation is like, what my family thinks, if i knew about the breed and what to expect, if i was planning on classes and training, that sort of thing. I drove out to see him and he saw me interact with the dogs and stuff, we talked for a good while and they seemed like a really nice couple.

and yes, they asked for a deposit, but they said if i had any reservations come puppy day that they would refund me if need be.

and thank you I guess i got a head start by being a hot headed independent young teen, I learn quick though! my manners don't escape me anymore, but I'm still more confident then I have reason for ha..

Last edited by Sawwahbear; 12-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.