Few Things...Need Help Please. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Few Things...Need Help Please.

i havent been on in awhile posting...just reading...but i realized i need help and of course it brought me right back to the forums. I feel i was getting crazy and was on information overload...so i took a step back, and now i need to step back in....few issues.....sorry a little long.

Puppy will be 8 months old on the 16th...ears are not up..tried taping, gluing etc....they stay up for a few days, then she shakes her head and they go down.........Im a bit upset about this because honestly i always had shepherds, either that i owned or that we had as kids and i NEVER saw a soft eared GSD...i didnt know they existed. Can the breeder be held responsible for soft ears?....since im reading its genetic. Mind you i did my research...met her parents and the breeder...........informed them all these months about anything and everything, and i dont really feel like they were very helpful, and im angry to say the least......can you bring a breeder to court over ears if they have ignored any and all requests? Her parents ears are fine.....saw pics of other pups they seem fine as well? I feel its irresponsible if they keep breeding her parents.

Second issue....very excitable around visitors, does the whole jumping thing...i ignore...turn my back...or she knocks them over.....i dont want to crate her during company visiting, because she will equate people with the crate, so i keep her tethered..until she relaxes. Any other advice? Its bad sometimes....mouthy of course too....

Third issue and its a biggie......I have an 11 year old (approx) that i adopted American Eskimo.....who lived just fine with my last GSD who died at 11.5 years last year.....i have had him for over 6 years........he has anxiety issues etc...but he doesnt like the puppy...she tries to play she is 60 lbs and he is 20.....he snaps at her and is VERY possessive over me, they fight over me...where im flattered, i read a good GSD would respect an elder dog.....she puts her entire mouth around his neck.....eats and bites his hair....puts her paws over him like he is a doll.....so i have to keep them separated and my Eskie is miserable.....how do i integrate these dogs to live together. Everyone including the Vet told me i was better off getting a puppy to get after my Brandy dies, that my Eskie would accept a puppy better than an adult dog, i wanted to adopt.....but its turned into a mess...need help cleaning it up.

BTW, i can live with the ears i love Abbey very much, but i feel a little duped by breeder.........22 years experience website said, traveled to meet them, had my checklist, parents are gorgeous...? no way of knowing ears would ever be an issue.

OK any and all suggestions welcomed.

Lorraine
Abbey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's a simple question to see if you qualify for reimbursement based on the ears being floppy: do you have a contract that guaranteed for ears?

If you don't, you are not guaranteed anything and I do not think you are owed a replacement or monetary compensation. If you have a prior cosmetic guarantee in your contract that ears must stand, then you are owed compensation based on the contract. If the breeder explicitly guaranteed and sold you a show/breed prospect puppy, you should get compensated. So did you have a contact upon purchase?

Jumping:
She's a pup so she will act out and you will have to repeatedly teach her. If you want a quick fix, put a prong on her, have her sit by you and place your foot on the lead without any slack between her and you, let company come over, if she goes to jump, she will correct herself as she jumps. YOu won't even have to do anything and have visitors stand aloof until she corrects herself. One or two good corrections to herself, she will not jump anymore. The other way is to use treats or a toy. Have visitors come in with treats, when she sits, let them treat her, continue treating as she sits so she learns that prolonging the behavior is a positive thing. Train and proof her before the fact so when tested, she will have a greater chance of success. Overall training and structure has a lot to do with this as well. Does she get formal training, do you have a trainer, what methods have you been using so far, what foundation work has been done. Also - what is her exercise and activity like. A tired dog is usually more compliant. I have a hyperactive collie mix - before visitors, I give her a 5mile bike ride or wear her out with the chuckit. She's a gem with people afterwards (mostly because she is passed out and sleeping!)

Senior abuse ():
He is a senior and in the golden years of his life. He deserves peace and quiet now. You also don't know his history or what he might have experienced. Many old dogs do not like puppies and have little tolerance in their old age. Especially some of the finicky breeds. If I were you, I would do one or two low stress walks with both on leash on neutral ground like at a park or a hike. Keep them separated during other times. It will take time to adjust, but realize that some dogs will never like each other. Crate/kennel and rotate in the meantime. Not everyone is cut out for this level of management - in which case you will have to start considering other options.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thankyou, very sound advice....

as far as exercise...we do share in getting her outside...for walks....hard for hubby he is home with her during the day but he has cancer and some days are better than others...maybe i will look into getting a dog walker for her....also my fence is gone in my backyard because if the hurricane...and there is a shortage on fence until i can replace it, so thats a challenge as well. Its always something...

As far as my Eskie, yes i do the revolving door switching dogs , its a pain, but he does need his peace and quiet...he always has this look like...we needed a puppy why?....LOL

As far as contract, i will go home and read a little more carefully....

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me...

Lorraine
Old 12-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I'd keep her leashed for visitors, and ask them to have her "sit". The reason dogs jump up is they are afraid they won't get attention unless they do.
They get attention then, alright!

Teach her that SITTING gets her more attention than jumping, with them too. Have them turn away, and then turn back quickly and pet her and praise when she's sitting or at least has all 4 paws on the floor.

With the older dog, I'd also leash her and reprimand gently "too rough!" when she's being that way. Exercise her more, 1:1, and let the older dog have some peace

Crates and gates can also help with that.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I am an "earist" but have to say, when I see a GSD with the ears that didn't make it up, I just love them!

I am sorry about your husband and that adds another layer to everyone's focus on dog behavior by a lot. But you are doing well trying and posting! Once that fence goes up and you can tire her out it will definitely help.

I do the dramatic ignore and have taught others to do the same. I learned it this summer and thought it was ridiculous but wow does it work. I turn to the side, fold my arms, look up, and send the strong "la la la I can't hear/see/feel you" message and that does it. I have a VERY bouncy mix. He totally gets it. Weird! It helps to get rid of the behavior and having guests do it, while she is tethered - I am betting it will work.

Agree on taking it back some steps and going slower with your Eskie. I am not sure if that is the type of dog with a bigger body bubble (my Spitzy/ancient breed mixes are) but no adult, smaller dog I know likes to be grabbed by a younger dog. I would keep it so that seeing her = good things (his favorites) and that doing things like suggested with walks together where you have control, rides where they are crated etc. will help to establish a relationship, and then work on her controlling her behavior (tethering again or something like a mat/Control Unleashed) until being around her isn't an aversive to him!

Good wishes to you all.
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well...it does make her extremely unique, her ears. i just never saw it, and i swear she hates when they are up?...LOL

will give my dogs more time to bond in a more controlled environment...

But how do i know the difference between her wanting to dominate or play?

yes i saw the fold your arms and look up suggestion on the internet...i have tried, but she knows what to expect from me and settles quickly, she is very smart, but she is an opportunist and loves fresh meat...

Fresh meat meaning new people she can get away with murder from...

Lorraine

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I don't think you need to know the difference for right now with the Eskie. Just - is it a behavior you want or a behavior you don't want? If you do want it, capture it and reward it and give it a name. Like "Oh! Good quiet!" for sitting quietly near him. If you don't want it, show her what you do want (quiet, leave it, etc) and reward for those things. After you do this consistently and well (and may need help from a long line) the expectation is that she won't continue these behaviors. She will learn to be a good citizen to older dogs.

For fresh meat, keep her tethered and instruct them what to do and not to reward her with attention, noise, etc, until she's behaving. It's hard! I know I always want to give a dog petting no matter how pesky they are being. I am not good!
JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.