Grim arguing about the down Video - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Default Grim arguing about the down Video

Please, please, please ignore how FAT I am!! My meds caused a huge weight gain a year ago, and with my bad back, etc I have been unable to lose it. Had to share this video, though. Grim does a good job on down to sit, but argues a lot over the down. He was barking at me before my wife started this vid. Enjoy!

grimvid - YouTube
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lol what a little character he is!!!
Koda does the same thing sometimes, only she does a grumbly moan instead of whines
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What a cutie!

If I may....I wouldn't nag him to comply with a request. You might find it a bit more successful if you worked him with out the competition waiting in the shadows....LOL!
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
What a cutie!

If I may....I wouldn't nag him to comply with a request.
I agree with this.

Have you tried luring him with a treat all the way down?
Also, maybe work on the things he likes, for now, and sneak the "down" in the rotation by watching for when he does it on his own and tossing a treat between his paws?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

he's a cutie, (but hey I didn't see that pug doing a down))

Can I also give a suggestion???

Put your 'treat' in a closed fist, bend down yourself, and tell him to DOWN , ONCE, only once, do NOT repeat it,,at the same time enclosed fist in front of his nose straight down on the floor keep your fist on the floor, and wait him out, soon as he 'downs', open up the fist, JACKPOT..He'll get it))

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hey , early on in the tape you are asking the dog more than once , and the dog is learning to pause . Then he goes down but you reward too fast , and are actually rewarding the dog as he is changing positions into a sit .

If he doesn't go down , move away , game finished. He follows you, so, he is asking for your attention , he is pushing your button to keep on playing . Then do ask him down. Stroke him. Calmly. stand up . He moves , go back to square one. He stays down then calmly put it on the floor in front of him. That way there is no chance of you drawing him (luring) out of position.

You could put it under your foot then move your foot.
---
Okay went back for a second or third look. I don't have a sound card on my computer at the moment ? so all I see is images . Look at the video yourself with no sound . You're doing a lot of movement with your hands. I wasn't clear what you were asking of the dog. Your hand signals should be very clean and clear .
Also am I right , you are asking the dog to sit (frame 6) and then going into a down. Teach one thing at a time.

Break it up . get dogs attention teach one thing , let's say you select "down" tell dog "down" reward -- release OK praise verbally and by stroke - get the dog connected to YOU not just the food. Move , ask dog down. Wherever you are the dog does this one thing "down" RELEASE - and he can't move till you release him. Ends confusion , no grey area.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Will put all of these suggestions to use! Yes, I've rewarded him (and still do) for the down on his own. I mark it, give it a word. Yes, he sneaked back up on me on the video part, but didn't the previous times. He's being a snot! He knows well what 'down' is... just doesn't like to do it. The only 'new' thing we're working on is a sit from a down. That he's just learning and doesn't gripe about.

My pug is stubborn/stupid. I've given up on getting her to down. Been trying to teach it every way there is for a year. She will sit, but not unless it's on carpet. Unfortunately, Grim gripes at me whether she's there or not. She doesn't earn any treats when I am working with him. I used a combo of luring the down with food and marking when he was already in a down to teach him that to begin with. He's just always argued with me about it. I'm hoping he will get better. I will stop rewarding him at all unless he does it on the first command, though.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
he's a cutie, (but hey I didn't see that pug doing a down))

Can I also give a suggestion???

Put your 'treat' in a closed fist, bend down yourself, and tell him to DOWN , ONCE, only once, do NOT repeat it,,at the same time enclosed fist in front of his nose straight down on the floor keep your fist on the floor, and wait him out, soon as he 'downs', open up the fist, JACKPOT..He'll get it))
Hey!!! I did this, and had a down RIGHT AWAY!!!

What a PITA dog!! LOL!

Also, I know I treated while he was coming back up, but I marked it when he was in the down. I don't know if that matters... I was wrong. User error, LOL! I also didn't notice I was using my hands. Bad me, because I want to train him with hand signals also... and those 'motions' are NOT the hand signals that I use to train with. I had my previous 2 trained with voice and hand signals...something I want to do with Grim also. Thanks for catching my mistakes in this vid and for the suggestions!!
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Gotta love the way that Pug completely ignores you.
Jack's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Gotta love the way that Pug completely ignores you.
Don't ya?

Hey.. I did the closed fist to the floor twice. I just tried the 'down' again without doing that, and I got the fastest down I've ever seen!! I've been PLAYED!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.