not sure whether or not I should see a vet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default not sure whether or not I should see a vet

It certainly isn't an emergency.

All day today, at various times, I have noticed small amounts of goopy stuff in the corner of Kylie's left eye. I didn't think anything of it this morning, but then I noticed there was more there a few hours later. It isn't actually IN her eye, it's just below the tear duct outside of the eye.

Every couple of hours, enough gathers for me to notice again.

Is this worth going to vet for? I figured I'd wait until tomorrow afternoon (I teach on Thursday mornings) and go in at that time if it seemed like it was getting worse or on Friday morning if it was no worse, but was still there.

She is losing teeth pretty quickly. She spits some of them out, so I actually have 4 of her puppy teeth, all from this past week. She is 5 months old now.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Any time something is wrong with the eye, it's a good idea to see the vet.
Tomorrow is fine.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

In Traditional chinese medicine the eyes are related to the liver.

Left side is related to the immune system. Your pup has likely had a series of vaccines and this is the immune system showing it is stressed from the assault. Did she just have a rabies recently? Did she have with any other vaccines?

Also - lighter note, there could be a speck of debris, the body sends in the forces to deal with the invader. Mucous forms in an attempt to protect the body. As long as it isn't enflamed, then you can make saline solution of 1/4 tsp of "sea" salt in a cup of hot water (to dissolve), bring to room temp and dip a soft cloth in and cleanse the eye. You can also use "eyebright" tea and/or goldenseal tea (antibacterial) and is safe for the eye.

Also (and I have done this on me and my dog - based on Dr. Pitcairn's DVM suggestion - google it), pierce a cod liver oil capsule and put few drops in the eye - hold lid closed and allow to blink...will likely fuss from this and paw as feels weird...but my dog's eye wouldn't stop gooping (for a few weeks, was not bothered by, just kept getting clump pooling on lower lid) and then started tearing...I was using anti-bacterial drops and nothing....did the cod liver oil once - no more problem.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I'm sorry, but eye issues are not a time for home remedies.

We had a puppy here we treated with antibacterial at home for a goopy eye; we thought it was just weepy. It turned out her cornea had a scratch and she needed special drops from the vet. It could have caused her to go blind in that eye.

Take proper precautions and take the pup to your vet, it could be minor or serious...but only a vet can determine that.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the first thing you get told working in an ER Vet - Eye issues get seen immediately....do not fool with them.....she could have an abrasion or scratch on her cornea....and they are extremely painful....I just had one last week from my Bengal kitten poking me in the eye...

never mess with eyes....get them looked at

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's eye goop. do you run to the doc everytime you get eye boogers..chill.

Is the eye red?
Lower lid swollen?
Blinking/winking?, Pawing at? pressing face into you or furniture?
one eye closed more then other?
twitching?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

OP - please see a vet for eye issues. As has been said, vets take eye issues in right away because things can be very wrong and seem innocent.

All -
Putting anything in the eye on the basis of advice from an internet poster is not advisable at the least and potentially dangerous at the worst.
Jean
Admin
Old 12-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Her eye looks perfectly normal.

I expect a certain amount of weepiness to appear occasionally and that's what this seemed like at first, until I wiped it away and it was back again a few hours later and then again a few hours later. If it had been profuse, I would have made sure to get her in to see the vet today before they closed. Both eyes look fine, but I know a scratched cornea probably isn't something I'd actually be able to see.

If the weepiness is still there when I wake up tomorrow, I will call the vet to get her an appointment for noon because that's the earliest I can get her in after the class I teach in the morning. I'll probably make an appointment for tomorrow regardless, just to make sure everything is ok.
AngieW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Cornea abrasions mayo clinic...

Corneal abrasions can be painful. If your cornea is scratched, you might feel like you have sand in your eye. Tears, blurred vision, increased sensitivity or redness around the eye can suggest a corneal abrasion. You may get a headache. (*in dogs indication would be pressing head into furniture or person or hand if rubbing face)
In case of corneal abrasion, seek prompt medical attention. Other immediate steps you can take for a corneal abrasion are to:
  • Rinse your eye with clean water (use a saline solution, if available).
Corneal abrasion (scratch): First aid - MayoClinic.com

Uncomplicated corneal abrasions usually heal spontaneously within 24 to 48 hours.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I agree make the vet appt. I know what you're describing - same thing happened to my Sting- one eye - that white stuff - I would wipe it away - back again a few hours later, - it didn't bother him at all - no swelling - no rubbing at the eye, no redness. It turned out to be pannus. That usually shows up around age 5 which he was. It is easily treated with drops - but it is a chronic condition and he has to stay on the drops. It could be something different for your dog - but don't wait - take him in before it gets worse and takes longer and more expense to clear up.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.