New puppy size questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New puppy size questions

Im new to this site so i apologize if i am posting in the wrong spot... Its crazy the wealth of knowledge on here and its really great to see people so willing to share information and help so much. Anyways about 1 1/2 months ago i bought a male gsd from another a fellow police officer that breeds t i have had 2 gsds throughout my life but its been awhile since the last one. My new dogs name is Troy and he comes from a gigantic mother and father his mom was about 100lb and dad was 115lb i would guess very tall parents and dad was crazy muscular. My question is how big do u think my boy will get he is just over 3 months and weighs 40lbs he exercises 3 times a day and his appetite is unbelievable he is not overweight as Dar as i know. I am a bit worried about his size i don't want him to have health problems in the future. Any info would be much appreciated. Fyi sorry about the pics Im a cop and definitely not a photographer!
Attached Thumbnails
New puppy size questions-1354611423081.jpg   New puppy size questions-1354611386494.jpg  
Thinblueline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi, I have 2 GSD's ... one an 8.5 year old male weighing 104 lbs and just 2 weeks ago I bought a female, 4-month old from Germany and her weight is now 41 lbs (she will be 5 months old on the 11th). So I would think with yours being a male, he's at the right weight. I am no expert so I'm sure you will get different opinions, which is what's good about this site - you learn such a lot ! I think that as long as you feed him the right sort and amount of food for his age, you will be fine
Anuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Likely he will be large, since both parents were large, and he is big-boned. I'd guess 95+ lb. at maturity. Just don't let him get fat!

To keep him healthy, keep him on the lean side as he grows. He is big-boned and doesn't appear overweight (though it's hard to tell from the photos). Of course he will be starving all the time, but don't feed him as much as he will eat. Too much food will spur faster growth, and what you want is slow, steady growth, so that his body doesn't get too big for his joints to handle.

Avoid hard exercise while he is young. Walks and hikes are great, ball play is great, swimming is excellent. You don't want him running a lot on hard surfaces, jumping, or going up and down stairs.

When he gets a bit older, say around 6-9 months, you can get x-rays of his hips and elbows, just so you know what they look like, and if you can expect problems later on. Size alone does not cause hip dysplasia, you just have to remember that the more weight he is bearing, the more stress there is on the joints--another reason to keep his growth slow and controlled, to give his joints time to develop properly, so that they can effectively bear his adult weight.

Cute pup, I like his face in the first pic.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.