Is something wrong with my pup?! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The pain you think he had in his paw/leg is an indication of pano...this can/will shift. This will slow a puppy down and present as a behavioural change...do a search in google and forum for threads on this - quite common and more common in males.

I'd avoid any vx. in near future until he is feeling better - should never vax a dog that is ill (or under stress) - it's noted in the leaflet from vax. manufacturers that vets see, but you don't.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

still sounds like Pano from the symptoms that you describe . He is a GSD . He is a male and he is the age at which , classically , panosteitis shows itself . The best thing to do is to have an x ray done where it would show up. Once you have determined that this is what he has , let him select his excercise , free movement , no more long walks. This is an inflammation , which is self limiting . It may even go away for a while and then come on full strength , on and off , could be till the dog is 18 months , sometimes popping up again at 2.
Anti oxidants , omega 3 , anti inflammatories will help him along.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

I agree with carmen - x-rays and a vet diagnosis.
Bone Inflammation (Panosteitis) in Dogs | petMD

We used vitamin C when our dog had it, and also a pain reliever. Vitamin C, if you give too much, can cause diarrhea, so keep it at around 500mg./day if a diagnosis of pano is made.

Tramadol is a good pain reliever that may help your dog, or ask about neurontin, but only if pano is diagnosed.

There could be something else going on, where there was vomiting. Vomiting isn't a typical sign of pano, I don't believe.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #14 (permalink)

Question about pano. While she is playing is it normal for her leg to give out. She yelped and I massaged the area and few minutes later she was of and playing like normal. No pain. after She didn't limp but her walk was a bit off. It sometimes is because of Pano.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sasha86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

pano will come and go and vary in intensity.
I had two black male littermates. The female line(dam) is a foundation line of mine so very familiar - and now a decade later we are generations away and still with reliable results . However , the sire of the litter was an eye-popping gorgeous black male , new to me . These two males had temperament to die for -- rock solid .
So good and so well conformed I held both back. At exactly the same day each dog would stand there like with one paw up, same leg - they looked like copies of each other. As days went by the legs would alternate - always identical in the littermate . Some days they were choosing to be more active , other times they were as flat as pancakes, both lying stretched out. Appetite would vary. This continued and continued , the dogs were nearly a year old . They would appear to be fine , go out and do some mild work with them, they would revert to pano. Because this could go on till they were two , meaning they were missing important training periods, and even when "clear" could have some trauma send them back to the benches , - not fair or right for a service dog that you need to count on - both were sold , as pets , with full information provided. The sire? I removed him from my breeding program as it was clear that this had a strong genetic component , that I did not want to introduce into my lines.
Pano is not something to worry about -- it is self limiting.
The vet can not make it go away .
Drugs that mask the pain will make the dog more mobile but he may injure himself or prolong pano .
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

i would take my dog to the Vet for a complete exam (x-rays,
blood work). i also would take a stool an urine sample.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

While you're at the Vet get them to show you how to take his temperature - every dog owner should know how to do that it may be a bit gross but knowing their temperature can tell you a lot about their health.
Taking their temperature is the first thing I do if any of mine look a bit "off colour", it takes 30 seconds and costs you nothing

Get a digital thermometer and some vaseline or ky jelly style lubricant
LOL as my Vet said "there can never be too much lubricant" hAHA and mark the thermometer very clearly with "DOG USE ONLY"
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

BTW, it is not a good idea to write off a limp as pano - the first indication our pup had elbow dysplasia was a limp and I was waiting for it to shift. He limped on the same leg for a few weeks and when I took him in, he already had arthritis at 6mos. in the right elbow (which is worse than the left).
Not saying a vet visit could have cured or stopped it, but to assume it's pano and not take the pup in is the wrong course of action.
Any time a dog limps and acts lethargic, it needs to be seen.
Any time lethargy is involved, in fact, it ought to be seen, especially if it lasts more than a day. If extreme lethargy, especially in a pup, it should be seen.

Heck, any time something's "off" enough to ask a forum on the 'net, the pup ought to be seen

(this is a general post, and not directed at anyone in particular, not even the OP)
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Extreme lethargy -- go to the vet immediately. Quit trying to self-diagnose, it's ludicrous.

Take your dog to the doctor now.
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.