A few grooming questions... (nails, ears etc) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Kyleigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,317
Default

A dremel is like an electric sander ... clicky to see!
__________________
Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, London-cat, Echo-TAG, Ellie-Quaker; www.marionsquilts.com
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Gilly1331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Hook, Connecticut
Posts: 760
Default

All great advice.
Nails..this takes a while..whenever the pup is laying down we rub, massage, pinch lightly, roll, pet, tug on nails etc all 4 paws several times daily. Then to get used to the Dremel we run it while its on setting 2-3 and run it all over their bodies, paws, legs, head, body, tail etc. Whil the puppy is still small enough we try to teach it while its laying down to do nails and then as it grows and is tall enough I straddle them while they eat to do the rear nails. It also helps to position them in a corner to keep the from backing/walking away. Just takes time and practice. Always end on a good note, praise, treat etc. Also hold the puppy if it wiggles, cries tries to run and hold it until it stands still bc if it learns it can get away once it will do it every time making it worse.

Ears start off with baby wipes or some type of ear wipe and gently rub inside and out. Don't put your finger inside until the pup is calm enough with the outside. Gently work your way inside until you get all the gunk out. Once of our dogs was notorious for severe ear infections where she'd shake her head constantly slamming her ears on everything causing lacerations so we had to have several stitches done on several occasions. We now have a special ear wash that we put drops in, rub, wipe out and then a medication set of drops..and since haven't had to do anything but a weekly wipe out.

Grooming.. grab a leash and attached it somewhere short. Doors are good so you can close the leash so the dog cant move and stands against the wall. Start with a gently brush if the dog freaks with the harder bristle/metal brushes. All my guys fight over who gets brushed first so I have to literally take one outside at a time otherwise its a swarm of pushing to get to the brush. I just ordered the Dyson attachment for the dog brush bc I was using the Furminator and the vaccum to suck the hair.. Make grooming fun!

All of these things are patience and require being repeated over and over..usually daily until the dog is ok with it and then you can drop down to several times a week instead of daily and so on until the dog has no problem with it.

I try to pick days and do each dog on their own day..and rotate through. Lexi is mondays, Zeus is Tuesdays, Kimber is Wednesdays...and id continue like that..Now I have to add in Diesel who is approx 14 wks old into the rotation. Good luck, patience, breath and send happy vibes to help calm the pup.
__________________
Lexi- GSD/Bull Mastiff
Zeus-GSD
Kimber-GSD
Diesel-GSD
___________________
Calvin- poyldactyl cat
Gilly1331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Freestep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post

Do the additives do anything to the ears?
Cleaning ears with a damp cloth only is fine if the ears stay reasonably clean, but if you get a lot of waxy buildup or an infection, those "additives" are necessary to do a good job of cleaning and to prevent infection.

A good home ear cleaning solution is a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The proportions aren't critical, you can do half and half or whatever. Put a few drops in the ear, and don't let him shake yet--massage the base of the ear well (most dogs learn to love this part), then let the dog shake his head so that centrifugal force will bring out any gunk that was inside the ear canal. Then use a cotton ball, soft cloth or Q-tip to remove any gunk. The alcohol in the solution will help dry the ear canal, and the vinegar leaves an acidic residue that discourages bacteria and yeast. If your dog is prone to ear infections, using this solution twice a week or so can help keep infections at bay.

For commercial ear cleaners, I like Vet Solutions ear cleaner, it smells great and does not leave an oily residue. You can use it between baths or anytime. For cleaning ears during a bath, I use Chris Christensen Mystic Ear. It is a sudsing cleanser that really cuts the dirt and wax. After the dog shakes his head and I clean everything I can see, I rinse the inside of the ear flap and below the ears with water--you don't have to rinse, but it will leave a slight oily residue on the fur around the ears if you don't. Not harmful, but as a pro groomer I don't like sending dogs home with oily patches.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
A dremel is like an electric sander ... clicky to see!
Oh okay now I know what it is haha thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly1331 View Post
All great advice.
Nails..this takes a while..whenever the pup is laying down we rub, massage, pinch lightly, roll, pet, tug on nails etc all 4 paws several times daily. Then to get used to the Dremel we run it while its on setting 2-3 and run it all over their bodies, paws, legs, head, body, tail etc. Whil the puppy is still small enough we try to teach it while its laying down to do nails and then as it grows and is tall enough I straddle them while they eat to do the rear nails. It also helps to position them in a corner to keep the from backing/walking away. Just takes time and practice. Always end on a good note, praise, treat etc. Also hold the puppy if it wiggles, cries tries to run and hold it until it stands still bc if it learns it can get away once it will do it every time making it worse.

Ears start off with baby wipes or some type of ear wipe and gently rub inside and out. Don't put your finger inside until the pup is calm enough with the outside. Gently work your way inside until you get all the gunk out. Once of our dogs was notorious for severe ear infections where she'd shake her head constantly slamming her ears on everything causing lacerations so we had to have several stitches done on several occasions. We now have a special ear wash that we put drops in, rub, wipe out and then a medication set of drops..and since haven't had to do anything but a weekly wipe out.

Grooming.. grab a leash and attached it somewhere short. Doors are good so you can close the leash so the dog cant move and stands against the wall. Start with a gently brush if the dog freaks with the harder bristle/metal brushes. All my guys fight over who gets brushed first so I have to literally take one outside at a time otherwise its a swarm of pushing to get to the brush. I just ordered the Dyson attachment for the dog brush bc I was using the Furminator and the vaccum to suck the hair.. Make grooming fun!

All of these things are patience and require being repeated over and over..usually daily until the dog is ok with it and then you can drop down to several times a week instead of daily and so on until the dog has no problem with it.

I try to pick days and do each dog on their own day..and rotate through. Lexi is mondays, Zeus is Tuesdays, Kimber is Wednesdays...and id continue like that..Now I have to add in Diesel who is approx 14 wks old into the rotation. Good luck, patience, breath and send happy vibes to help calm the pup.
Thank you for the advice! Hope he gets used to everything if I just keep working with him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Cleaning ears with a damp cloth only is fine if the ears stay reasonably clean, but if you get a lot of waxy buildup or an infection, those "additives" are necessary to do a good job of cleaning and to prevent infection.

A good home ear cleaning solution is a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. The proportions aren't critical, you can do half and half or whatever. Put a few drops in the ear, and don't let him shake yet--massage the base of the ear well (most dogs learn to love this part), then let the dog shake his head so that centrifugal force will bring out any gunk that was inside the ear canal. Then use a cotton ball, soft cloth or Q-tip to remove any gunk. The alcohol in the solution will help dry the ear canal, and the vinegar leaves an acidic residue that discourages bacteria and yeast. If your dog is prone to ear infections, using this solution twice a week or so can help keep infections at bay.

For commercial ear cleaners, I like Vet Solutions ear cleaner, it smells great and does not leave an oily residue. You can use it between baths or anytime. For cleaning ears during a bath, I use Chris Christensen Mystic Ear. It is a sudsing cleanser that really cuts the dirt and wax. After the dog shakes his head and I clean everything I can see, I rinse the inside of the ear flap and below the ears with water--you don't have to rinse, but it will leave a slight oily residue on the fur around the ears if you don't. Not harmful, but as a pro groomer I don't like sending dogs home with oily patches.
I will have to try the vinegar/alcohol mix, because he has already had one nasty yeast infection and I wanna avoid that again! Thanks! When you use the liquid ear cleaner do they shake it all over the place? Ive been just using the moist ear pads..
__________________
SG Berlin vom Hokschhaus - CGCA, BA1, UNJ, HIC, TC
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
martemchik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,330
Default

For ears...vinegar/water works great. I dip a cotton ball in the solution and wipe the ear. I only do this when there is a gunky build up in there...don't mess with his ears too much just so that he "gets used to it" its just not worth risking infections if the ears are fine.

Nails...I just forced my dog to lay there while I dremmel. I used to clip, but the dremmel is much safer and easier. He doesn't like it, but he puts up with it. Gets a good treat at the end of each paw as well. Each dog is different, but for me forcing my dog to lay there while I do something to him isn't an issue. Other dogs won't like it as much and might shut down on you for a while.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Freestep's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 6,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdlover91 View Post
When you use the liquid ear cleaner do they shake it all over the place? Ive been just using the moist ear pads..
Yes, they will shake excess cleaner and ear gunk all over the place. To prevent it from getting all over your walls and ceiling, either do it outside, or simply hold up a towel while your dog shakes.

I had a dog that HATED having his ears cleaned. He would let me do it, but would then run off and rub his head on the ground afterward, grinding dirt back into his ears. But most dogs don't mind it that much, especially if you use a towel or cotton to wipe out the excess.

I meant to add... if your dog has an existing infection and the ears look raw or have open sores, do NOT use the vinegar/alcohol solution as it will sting. In the event of sore, raw ears, go the vet and have them prescribe appropriate ear medication. Thankfully, with GSDs, severe ear infections are rare. I see more ear infections on dogs with dropped ears, especially if those ears are very hairy or heavy... ie Cockers, Poodles, Goldens, etc.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
For ears...vinegar/water works great. I dip a cotton ball in the solution and wipe the ear. I only do this when there is a gunky build up in there...don't mess with his ears too much just so that he "gets used to it" its just not worth risking infections if the ears are fine.

Nails...I just forced my dog to lay there while I dremmel. I used to clip, but the dremmel is much safer and easier. He doesn't like it, but he puts up with it. Gets a good treat at the end of each paw as well. Each dog is different, but for me forcing my dog to lay there while I do something to him isn't an issue. Other dogs won't like it as much and might shut down on you for a while.
I only clean his ears when I notice some wax in there. I don't like messing with them too much! Buying a dremel today! Hope both my dogs take to it easier than clippers


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
SG Berlin vom Hokschhaus - CGCA, BA1, UNJ, HIC, TC
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Yes, they will shake excess cleaner and ear gunk all over the place. To prevent it from getting all over your walls and ceiling, either do it outside, or simply hold up a towel while your dog shakes.

I had a dog that HATED having his ears cleaned. He would let me do it, but would then run off and rub his head on the ground afterward, grinding dirt back into his ears. But most dogs don't mind it that much, especially if you use a towel or cotton to wipe out the excess.

I meant to add... if your dog has an existing infection and the ears look raw or have open sores, do NOT use the vinegar/alcohol solution as it will sting. In the event of sore, raw ears, go the vet and have them prescribe appropriate ear medication. Thankfully, with GSDs, severe ear infections are rare. I see more ear infections on dogs with dropped ears, especially if those ears are very hairy or heavy... ie Cockers, Poodles, Goldens, etc.
Thanks for the info! Definitely will use the vinegar solution just for upkeep. He had an infection a few weeks ago and his ears were red and stuff so I left them
Alone and got him ear meds. Hahah sometimes I think dogs to that just to spite us... " oh your gonna torment me by cleaning my ears? Well ha, I'm gonna go rub them in dirt! "


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
SG Berlin vom Hokschhaus - CGCA, BA1, UNJ, HIC, TC
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
gsdlover91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,784
Default

Thanks to all who advised I get a dremmel, BEST idea ever. He lets me do his nails without a hassle, there is NO bleeding (thank goodness!!) and its 10x easier and quicker. Well worth the money!.
__________________
SG Berlin vom Hokschhaus - CGCA, BA1, UNJ, HIC, TC
gsdlover91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,761
Default

i used non scented baby wipes on my puppies ears just to get them used to having their ears cleaned.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com