Not sure how to handle this. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes, we are so close to the situation that we can't see it clearly. My girl was 14.5. She had DM, no muscle mass, couldn't hear, couldn't see well, was incontinent, had to be helped to her feet and have her rear lifted up the few steps into the house. She often seemed confused. Like you, I kept hoping she would go in her sleep. Sadly, that hardly ever happens. I found a vet, other than my regular vet, who would come to my home. Perhaps you could check around. If you find someone, get references. I can only say that after it was over, I felt a great burden was lifted. Incredibly sad, but I know it was the right thing to do. The vet came into my house and said, "Oh yes. It's time." I imagine people looked at my dog and thought, "Dear God woman, why don't you put that poor dog to sleep?" It is a very difficult decision that no one can make for you.

In my situation, it wasn't a new puppy coming into the home, but an upcoming surgery. I knew I would not be able to handle my old girl. Otherwise, I might have let her continue for a while, but to what purpose? I did not want to wind up in an emergency situation where I had to go to the Pet-ER and have her put down. That would have been traumatic for all of us.

A very wise young lady told me this....."It is better to put your pet to sleep two weeks too soon than one day too late." This is so incredibly true. I've been on the other side wishing I had not waited so long. Those are the times we truly regret.

I'm am so sorry you are facing these difficult decisions.

Hugs,
Jan
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So sorry ablout your precious girl Tia's illness. I too have a 12 yr old who was not supposed to make it past March and a couple of times I have thought well today is the day.

When you get that new puppy home I think that I would let them get acquainted and if the puppy was too rambunkous I would keep it seperated from Tia. You never know your Tia may find a new spark and she might feel 5 yrs younger. Wishing you the best.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

The thing that would worry me most is the snapping. Not because she might hurt a cat but because I think it's a sign of serious pain. In your situation, I would ask the vet for some strong pain meds for her. If she continues in pain, I would euthanize her because I can't stand to see a dog in pain. If she is still with you when the pup comes, I would never, ever put them together because the puppy will be relentless in its desire to play with to old dog. I'm so very sorry for your situation. I've been there often and know it's horrible.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
The thing that would worry me most is the snapping. Not because she might hurt a cat but because I think it's a sign of serious pain. In your situation, I would ask the vet for some strong pain meds for her. If she continues in pain, I would euthanize her because I can't stand to see a dog in pain. If she is still with you when the pup comes, I would never, ever put them together because the puppy will be relentless in its desire to play with to old dog. I'm so very sorry for your situation. I've been there often and know it's horrible.

Yes, the snapping started when she first started getting sick and the vet did say that is probably due to the pain. She is gets 200mg of Tramadol every 8 hours. At first it seemed like it was helping to keep her comfortable. She stopped snapping at the cats and also stopped shaking so much. I think she has built a tolerance to it because the snapping and shaking are getting bad again. The last thing I want is for her to be in pain. I know what has to be done.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and understanding.
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm so sorry for all that you are going through right now. There's nothing harder than having to make that decision ... especially with a pup coming into the picture.

Having a vet come to the house might be the easiest thing for both of you - not having to bring Tia to the vet ... just that trip can be very hard.

You do know what you have to do, but that doesn't make it any easier.

Yeah, it would be "nice" if we didn't care so much ... it would make the decision that much easier ... but the fact that you are aching over this decision shows just how MUCH you care. Tia has been a member of your family for years, and it's agonizing to be the one who "decides".

I wish you great strength and courage for when the day comes. And don't forget, YOU need to grieve. So once you've made the decision, let go of your strength and courage and have a huge cry ... you well deserve it.

Having the puppy come shortly after is a blessing in disguise. You'll be so busy with this new little "monster" in your house, you won't have time to wallow in grief ... but you will have something "new" to share your wonderfully huge heart and home with.

Good luck, and I hope everyone's comments help reinforce the decision for you.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.