Racial Purity of GSD/Lab Mix? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
WDC

Default Racial Purity of GSD/Lab Mix?

Two days ago I got a new puppy. His name is "The King" Dogmeat. I really love him, and he is a wonderful dog.

Only problem is, he wasn't exactly planned. He's not from a breeder, and I have no paperwork for him. I actually just found him abandoned, and we took him home (he was in fairly rough shape).

After doing some research, I have determined that he is a GSD/Lab mix. He fits the pictures and descriptions of other GSD/lab puppies.

I was just wondering, how much GSD do you think he has in him? I am a GSD lover, and have wanted one for years. My parents never let me get one because of their size, but since he kinda just dropped in, I decided to keep him.

Also, could some other GSD/lab owners show me some pictures of their adult dogs? I'm looking out for what to expect?

As you can see from these photos, he is a small puppy. I believe he is teething, but I'm not really sure. He seems to be about 16-20 weeks old though.

Anyway, do you guys have any ideas about what percentage lab he might be and what percentage shepherd?

Also, ears. His ears aren't up and I know that mixed often do not come up. Do any GSD/lab owners have any advice? Implants are out of the question, since my uncle (helping me take care of him) thinks that it's morally wrong.

WDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I've never seen a GSD/lab but he looks like he has quite a bit of GSD in him. Do some research on temperment of both breeds and you're most likely going to get a mix of the two. I think its hard to tell what kind of personality you're going to get with a mix breed. But on the plus side they usually seem to be healthier (or free of more genetic/breed issues)
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
WDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus View Post
I've never seen a GSD/lab but he looks like he has quite a bit of GSD in him. Do some research on temperment of both breeds and you're most likely going to get a mix of the two. I think its hard to tell what kind of personality you're going to get with a mix breed. But on the plus side they usually seem to be healthier (or free of more genetic/breed issues)
He is a very well behaved dog, and very cute, I just am a bit worried is all. Freaking out a bit! As I said, I've wanted a GSD for years. I really want those erect ears and long snout. The regal Shepherd shape.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Almost looks like a GSD/Aussie mix with the white paw, very cute dog though
NorCalGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGSD View Post
Almost looks like a GSD/Aussie mix with the white paw, very cute dog though
I was thinking that.... or maybe a hound mix like a beagle?

Very cute puppy either way
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
WDC

Well, the reason I went with lab was because of a few other photos I saw of GSD/lab mixes.

These are just images I found on google images, and they look extremely similar to King.

Does anybody have an adult GSD/lab? I would like to see pictures, see what he might end up growing up to look like.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What you have there is a genuine, purebred Heinz 57 mutt. No telling if there is any German Shepherd in there at all, there might be, but there could be any number of breeds including Lab, Rott, Pit Bull, Beagle, Aussie, etc. etc. etc.... no telling how much of which. Just for fun, you could try one of those DNA tests through the mail, but they are notoriously unreliable.

I once had a GSD/Lab cross and she looked nothing like your puppy.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
WDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
What you have there is a genuine, purebred Heinz 57 mutt. No telling if there is any German Shepherd in there at all, there might be, but there could be any number of breeds including Lab, Rott, Pit Bull, Beagle, Aussie, etc. etc. etc.... no telling how much of which. Just for fun, you could try one of those DNA tests through the mail, but they are notoriously unreliable.

I once had a GSD/Lab cross and she looked nothing like your puppy.
Huh, that's a shame. I am going to be consulting an expert, but thank you for your opinion.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

He has white feet and chest, indicating something else, like Aussie. In fact I'd guess Aussie x Lab if he was in my rescue, but I would list him as "Australian Shepherd mix" and not guess the 2nd breed since I can only really make out "Aussie" (Australian Shepherd)
How this is going to affect him is he may be sensitive to certain drugs like ivermectin.
You'll want to discuss that with your vet.
Thank you for giving him a good home

PS. Is his left eye blue?? If so that's further evidence he's got Aussie in him. (I can't tell from the pics)
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC View Post
Huh, that's a shame. I am going to be consulting an expert, but thank you for your opinion.
It's not a shame at all, he looks like a great puppy and should grow up to be a first-rate companion dog. Don't get too hung up over what breed he is, he will love you regardless of what's in the woodpile!

Curious, what kind of "expert" can tell you what breeds he might be?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.