Racial Purity of GSD/Lab Mix? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
WDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmannwa View Post
Hey there. I understand. My husband and I wanted a purebred GSD for years. Imagine our delight when we found what appeared to be two GSDS at our local shelter a few weeks before our wedding! We brought them home and waited for the ears to come up and waited... the older they got the more clear it became that our pups were not German Shepherds.

I loved them for the fourteen years that I owned them. I learned a lot from having them and they were perhaps more forgiving of rookie mistakes than the formidably intelligent German Shepherd. Havoc, our very fancy WGSL, has benefited from my experience with Troi and Crusher. I used to tell people that they were "Lehmannhunds."
Troi and Crusher? Is that a reference to what I think it is? Omigod are you a trekkie too?
WDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I understand the OPs hope that his dream was realized. Whatever we get as a pup, I think we all have preconcieved ideas about what it is, what it will be, how it will be. If the dog has chosen us carefully enough, we come to realize that what they are is perfect for us.

My old geezer dog was proclaimed a GSD mix by a vet (for the previous owner). He has no GSD temperment, he howls like a northern breed, he barks like a northern breed, he looks like a black northern breed with GSD tan "spots" for eyebrows and as socks. I see very little GSD in him. (So don't put too much stock in what the vet declares his breed to be - down here anything with black and tan and an ear that isn't the classic hound ear is proclaimed GSD mix.)

My first dog as an adult was a GSD Elkhound cross. Smarter'n all get out, kinda awkward looking but I loved that dog. Third dog as an adult was a GSD mix. She was lovely, totally different than the first. Following five were GSDs - one of which at 3 yo continues to share my home with me & the geezer.

Each dog has been different. Each has given me a lot and taught me a lot.

Enjoy your pup. Tell your folks he's probably an Ausie X, tell yourself whatever you want regarding his breeding (I like the "certified street stray" designation myself). Whatever you call him, enjoy him.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
x11
Banned

WDC, that pup looks like a keeper to me. as the resident gsd expert here (having owned my first one) i says he is a at least 75% GSD. can anyone prove me wrong??

so quit asking what he is and just say hi folks check out my gsd/lab mix, he will most definately have police dogs, and high level schutshund dogs in his genes.

join a sporty type club and see what he likes; agility, tracking, flyball....what you will learn with yr guy will be an excellent base for training and caring for yr "pure" gsd when the time is right.

get over over on the training sub-forums and start checking out marker training and RAW feeding.

you know if it's not a wolf it is a mutt anyway.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #44 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC View Post
I thought that GSDs had a rare chance of receiving white paws and white chest spots?
GSD's do have white spotting...and it can be as much as your pup is showing. My females dam carried the gene for it and she produced a pup with four white sox as much as your pup has. She was bred to a Czech male in that litter(so obviously the dam carried that gene)
Onyx has white spotting but it isn't as much, her sire was an AKC Am line male. Onyx's ears were up by 10 weeks but looked very heavy when she was 7 weeks. Her ears now are 'bat' ears, way too big for her head! I still love her regardless! Here is her puppy pic:
and now at 6:
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #45 (permalink)
WDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
GSD's do have white spotting...and it can be as much as your pup is showing. My females dam carried the gene for it and she produced a pup with four white sox as much as your pup has. She was bred to a Czech male in that litter(so obviously the dam carried that gene)
Onyx has white spotting but it isn't as much, her sire was an AKC Am line male. Onyx's ears were up by 10 weeks but looked very heavy when she was 7 weeks. Her ears now are 'bat' ears, way too big for her head! I still love her regardless! Here is her puppy pic:
and now at 6:

Wow, looks a lot like King! That actually gives me a bit of hope, but not holding my breath. Only time will tell. You have a beautiful dog!

I forgot to mention that the camera I used to take pictures of King distorts the image a bit. I tried to take pictures with my other cam, but I think its busted. I will try to get better shots of his markings and facial structure next chance I get.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #46 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

A lady in rescue told me one that thing that helps when I look at mixes - that it is unlikely to get/find a 50/50 mix. That a lot of times mom is 2-3 breeds, dad is the same - there can be overlap or not. So you may have a pup with 2-4 different breeds for sure. I really do see the GSD/Lab in the picture where he's smiling. ETA - people that adopted a Lab mix from me/rescue have a dog that they got for flyball that is a mix of French Bulldog, Jack Russell Terrier and Malinois. When I saw him I thought he was a Boxer or bully mix (he's brindle). Never would have guessed those breeds!

The thing I like about mixes is that while there are similarities, you get such a wide variation in terms of look and behavior. That can be good when it's a great dog and not so good when it's a challenging combo! I think your dog really looks like he is going to be one of those great dogs.

What Is Clicker Training? | Karen Pryor Clicker Training
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
WDC

So far he is. We have him trained to sit and lay down. He knows come, but not yet stay. He is pretty good about heeling.

I'm hoping he grows BIG. I spent a lot of time with 90 pound shepherds over my life (a friend owned them) and the are absolutely the most cuddly and soft dogs around. I'm pretty good with dogs, even got a GSD abused by kids to love me. There were three, a big Belgian looking fella (pretty sure he was GSD, just a real showlike and lean long haired), a short haired bulky female (the abused), and one of their 24 puppies that was kept (girl managed to squeeze out 24 in under a year, one died after she sat on it). The pup was really cute. He was actually the biggest, and he had these tiny floppy ears. He was so soft that he had to wear a spiked collar because he would not bite other dogs back even in play. We used to just bring the three together (300 pounds of shepherd) and cuddle. I haven't seen them in over a year, but I miss em.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #48 (permalink)
WDC

So, I just got back from the vet.

In line to see the vet, I actually ran into a former show shepherd breeder who said that he was definitely part shepherd. She told me that I should start taping his ears soon if they don't rise on their own.

The vet and nurse both agreed, also saying that he may be part rotty, lab, or even doberman.

He got his vacs, and we scheduled his neutering. We are also starting him on heartworm prevention, and switched his food. Beneful is apparently like poison for dogs.

This was good reassuring news. It was nice to hear from a breeder that he was part GSD. The vet even said that he is probably mostly shepherd based on what she can see.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC View Post
I meant brown, sorry, mistyped.

Well, all this is pretty hard to read. Sucks to have dreams die.

Well, I will go talk to the vet and see what he thinks, maybe make a post when it's over.
Many vets have no clue. Many of them think my purebred East German bloodline German Shepherd is some sort of wolf or coyote mix. They have no idea, but they sure would like you to think they do.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master Member

Honestly, he could have other breeds in him. With mixed breeds it is impossible to tell. He could be mostly shepherd, or he could barely have any and just came out looking more like a shepherd. He may not even be part Lab. When he is older, it MAY be easier to tell. There is DNA testing you could do, but I'm not sure about the accuracy of it.

Expect: A high energy dog for at least the first 7 years. Possible health issues since he is a large breed (look at GSD/Lab common health issues for an idea of what to look for). Smart dog, but possibly stubborn. Friend for life.

If you expect what is above, you will either be happy when you get something better, or informed when his high energy and possible stubborn streak shows up.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.