Racial Purity of GSD/Lab Mix? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDC View Post
Eye is pure blue.
Quote:
His eyes are brown mate, I'm telling you. No blue in his eyes. I'm not denying that he may not be GSD, but the eyes are brown.
So which is it??

Aussies can have brown eyes, too.

If you found this guy abandoned, he's likely to be a mix of whatever dogs you commonly see roaming the streets in your neighborhood... and those are probably not purebreds, either!
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
WDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
The dog is awesome.
Where are you located?
State...? Or general Area?
Tucson AZ. Not the greatest state, but it's alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaD View Post
Hey Aussies are fantastic dogs! You could have a nice agility dog there
Yeah, I've met some pretty nice Aussies. His temperament just doesn't strike me as Aussie though. He is still a puppy, but every Aussie I've known acts like spaz on coffee and cocaine.

I think I might get DNA testing run when I can save up the cash, even if there is a chance of inaccuracy.
WDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

I would not get caught up in what the mix is. Unless you have papers on the parents you can't know for sure. I've had multiple people tell me my mutt (and he's a true mutt, his mother was a mix) is a purebred Hovawart. Everyone likes to have their "expert" opinion on what type of dog he is. I don't really care because there's no way of knowing so just taking guesses doesn't really help me predict temperament.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He's a really cute dog and it sounds like he has a great personality. Enjoy him for who he is--it doesn't matter what his mix is and you will never know for certain because the DNA testing is still far from accurate (and he could be a mix of many breeds). Honestly, I have had quite a few dogs and the mixes were just as wonderful as the purebreds.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Just to point out the obvious: If it is so disappointing to not get a German Shepherd from the random dog you picked up, why not take the opportunity to research great breeders on the board and start saving?
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #26 (permalink)

I would say there's a *possibility* of GSD in there, but GSD's are not the only ones with those black & brown markings, Rotties do too.

I see Aussie, more than anything, possibly mixed with Lab or *maybe* GSD.

Aussie's are great dogs, I've had Aussie mixes. Very smart.

Here's my GSD/Lab mix. (She's the one on the left in the pic of the two.)
Attached Thumbnails
Racial Purity of GSD/Lab Mix?-imag1031-1.jpg   Racial Purity of GSD/Lab Mix?-imag1067.jpg  
NWHeather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Tucson AZ. Not the greatest state, but it's alright.

Yeah, I've met some pretty nice Aussies. His temperament just doesn't strike me as Aussie though. He is still a puppy, but every Aussie I've known acts like spaz on coffee and cocaine.

I think I might get DNA testing run when I can save up the cash, even if there is a chance of inaccuracy.
My GSD puppy acts like a spaz on coffee and cocaine! lol But maybe he is Aussie/shep mix I am sure he will be a great dog! You will know more as he grows. For example my childhood dog was a mutt and I figured out she had some beagle/hound in there because of her bark. She was a herder also and had GSD coloring. She was an awesome dog!! Very protective, athletic and smart! Can't wait to watch this guy grow!
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Call a friend and read the title of this thread to them on the phone...my boyfriend and I just laughed for five minutes. I couldn't even say it! Sounds like something Hitler would say...."racial purity"

I KNOW the OP didn't mean it that way (sorry OP!) but I was in history class today and it just hit the spot
x0emiroxy0x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
WDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0emiroxy0x View Post
Just to point out the obvious: If it is so disappointing to not get a German Shepherd from the random dog you picked up, why not take the opportunity to research great breeders on the board and start saving?

I'm 15, I live with my parents and they HATE German Shepherds. The only reason they let us keep King is because nobody else would help him, and my uncle wanted a dog too. Since my grandma and uncle live directly across the street from me, he lives at my grandmas.

When he matures, I will post more pictures. Wouldn't he be identifyable as an adult? GSDs have some pretty specific features.

Do I get banned from the forum for having too impure a dog, or can I stick around? I love Shepherds, so I wouldn't mind sticking around.
WDC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Of course you won't get banned.

Trust me-- this dog will grow up to be everything you want, especially if you put good training into him. You know how I know this? Because I've been there. Especially when the dog matures in a few years, and becomes your constant companion, and you live a long and happy life together-- you will find yourself saying in the end, "I will never have another dog like him!"

Such is the way it works.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.