Age to Neuter Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Age to Neuter Puppy

We are purchasing a male GSD puppy and the breeder suggested that if possible we don't neuter it until it is 3 years old. She said that it will help to ensure the dog grows and develops to it's full size. We do currently have a 9 year old female GSD who is spayed and the new male dog would never have unsupervised interaction with any other dogs. What are your opinions?

Also will not neutering the dog for a while cause problems with it trying to show dominance over the senior female?

I'll also read through the thread that is a sticky in the forum for further information.

Last edited by MN GSD Fan; 11-25-2012 at 05:28 PM.
MN GSD Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a personal preference. Some do it when they are younger versus older and vice versa. There are pros and cons to each side. I always go younger, the main thing being the amount of pain and cancer. I had one dog(my sisters) that was about two when she was fixed. It was awful, she couldn't walk and she cried. At the same time my own 6 month old puppy was fixed and running circles around the older one. My GSD puppy was about 5 months when she was fixed. No signs of pain or discomfort, she has grown upwards and now at 14 months she is starting to fill out. Her body did was it was suppose to, per the vet. If you can wait and you feel comfortable with that, then that is fine too.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

3yrs. is way late if you don't plan to breed and are an average owner not doing bite-work or other sports with your dog.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

i've never neutered my dogs. if i were going to
neuter i would wait untill my dog was 2 yrs old.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i've never neutered my dogs. if i were going to
neuter i would wait untill my dog was 2 yrs old.
So do you believe that neutering the dog as a young pup can stunt the growth? Would there be dominance issues with our senior female GSD if he isn't neutered?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

No, neutering young doesn't stunt growth.
There's been some studies that indicate the long bones are actually longer in dogs neutered before puberty.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Yes i had a feeling this would be a subject people all have opinions on. Just curious to what everyone thinks or what they have done with their own dogs.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's unlikely that you'll have dominance issues between your male and your female. If you had two males, I might worry about it.

Most people who aren't interested in breeding or dog sports have their males neutered between 6-9 months. Usually by 8 or 9 months, hormones are starting to flow, and some folks don't want to deal with intact teenage dog issues so they neuter before that.

Neutering won't stunt growth, in fact it can make dogs grow a little bit taller and more leggy if done before maturity. Intact dogs mature to be a bit stouter, with thicker bones and wider heads.

There are some studies that indicate neutering later is better for the dog's bones and joints, especially if that dog is bound to be a canine athelete. If he is just going to be a household pet and not doing a lot of hard exercise and training, it may not be an issue.

There are certain cancers that may be a higher risk if the dog is neutered, and others that are a higher risk if the dog *isn't* neutered. Talk to your vet about this. I know, it's confusing. Suffice to say that most people opt for neutering at some point if they aren't interested in breeding, and I think it's a good idea for the average pet owner. When you choose to do it is up to you.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OK, since you asked.
Hans's breeder advised to wait until he was at least 18 months old, and when I said I would like to wait until at least 2, she was very happy with that.

I do think hormones play a huge part in a growing body, and if I had my way I would never neuter at all.

My other dog was not neutered until he was about 10, and that was because an idiot vet decided to do it without any kind of request or permission on my part. The dog was never the same after that. All he wanted to do was sleep.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.