German Shepherds Forum banner

Age to Neuter Puppy

5K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Kaasuti 
#1 · (Edited)
We are purchasing a male GSD puppy and the breeder suggested that if possible we don't neuter it until it is 3 years old. She said that it will help to ensure the dog grows and develops to it's full size. We do currently have a 9 year old female GSD who is spayed and the new male dog would never have unsupervised interaction with any other dogs. What are your opinions?

Also will not neutering the dog for a while cause problems with it trying to show dominance over the senior female?

I'll also read through the thread that is a sticky in the forum for further information.

#2 ·
This is a personal preference. Some do it when they are younger versus older and vice versa. There are pros and cons to each side. I always go younger, the main thing being the amount of pain and cancer. I had one dog(my sisters) that was about two when she was fixed. It was awful, she couldn't walk and she cried. At the same time my own 6 month old puppy was fixed and running circles around the older one. My GSD puppy was about 5 months when she was fixed. No signs of pain or discomfort, she has grown upwards and now at 14 months she is starting to fill out. Her body did was it was suppose to, per the vet. If you can wait and you feel comfortable with that, then that is fine too.

#9 ·
It's unlikely that you'll have dominance issues between your male and your female. If you had two males, I might worry about it.

Most people who aren't interested in breeding or dog sports have their males neutered between 6-9 months. Usually by 8 or 9 months, hormones are starting to flow, and some folks don't want to deal with intact teenage dog issues so they neuter before that.

Neutering won't stunt growth, in fact it can make dogs grow a little bit taller and more leggy if done before maturity. Intact dogs mature to be a bit stouter, with thicker bones and wider heads.

There are some studies that indicate neutering later is better for the dog's bones and joints, especially if that dog is bound to be a canine athelete. If he is just going to be a household pet and not doing a lot of hard exercise and training, it may not be an issue.

There are certain cancers that may be a higher risk if the dog is neutered, and others that are a higher risk if the dog *isn't* neutered. Talk to your vet about this. I know, it's confusing. Suffice to say that most people opt for neutering at some point if they aren't interested in breeding, and I think it's a good idea for the average pet owner. When you choose to do it is up to you.

#10 ·
OK, since you asked.
Hans's breeder advised to wait until he was at least 18 months old, and when I said I would like to wait until at least 2, she was very happy with that.

I do think hormones play a huge part in a growing body, and if I had my way I would never neuter at all.

My other dog was not neutered until he was about 10, and that was because an idiot vet decided to do it without any kind of request or permission on my part. The dog was never the same after that. All he wanted to do was sleep.

#14 ·
My other dog was not neutered until he was about 10, and that was because an idiot vet decided to do it without any kind of request or permission on my part. The dog was never the same after that. All he wanted to do was sleep.
I am thinking that the neutering did not have anything to do with your dog wanting to sleep, I think that is age just caught up with him. My GSD has a strong drive and that hasn't changed since she has been fixed..she definitely does not sleep all the time:( My golden is going to be 3 and he is just as focused and ready to go as the next golden.

#16 ·
Sunflowers, I've seen testicular cancers and also anal cancers in older intact boys. In fact we haven't had a senior intact animal without a reproductive tract cancer (including mammaries) that caused their early death, usually after we take them in for a check up and find out they have cancer.

I'm sorry your vet apparently took the initiative, that's never right :(
But he may have been healthier for the neuter. 19 is a LONG life!

#17 ·
Sunflowers, I've seen testicular cancers and also anal cancers in older intact boys. In fact we haven't had a senior intact animal without a reproductive tract cancer (including mammaries) that caused their early death, usually after we take them in for a check up and find out they have cancer.

If that is the case, then I would consider neutering, but not too early and certainly not too late. As for Hans, it's in my contract, so it will need to get done.

So what age do you think it's best to do it, after, say 2?
3? Later?

#18 ·
Personally I like 18mos. We just had Ruger neutered and he was 13-14? mos.

But 18mos-2yrs. should be just fine. He's benefited from the testosterone by 12mos. or so anyway ;)

He will do fine I am sure!

#28 ·
My breeder suggested 18 months. I chose to do it a bit earlier at 15 months since the time period fit better into my schedule.

The only point of waiting for me was to get her x-rays done at the same time. That didn't happen either way, so when I spayed was not a big issue.

I have a pet dog, so performance/conformation/appearance aren't big factors for me. The only thing I had in mind was her health. I researched and made what I thought was the best decision.

#29 ·
I'm still on the fence with this one... I don't know if I want to do it at all. Rocco is now 13 and 1/2 months. If I do it, I'll wait until he is 18 months to 2 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.