New member...first time GSD owner. (feeding and barking question) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New member...first time GSD owner. (feeding and barking question)

Hello my name is Antonio. Ive been thinking of getting a GSD for about 2 years now and finally found the right puppy that fits my needs.
With that said i got Bella just about a week ago. She is a 10 week old fenale thats absolutly
Lovely. Shes really smart and full of energy.
I do have some concerns though and some questions.

1. Shes not eating much at all. Maybe about a cup or two a day of the puppy food i got for her.i got different kinds since i wasnt sure what she liked. Which is why i think shes underweight. I would like to feed her raw meat as she gets older as thats what a friend of mine suggested for the best health and grownth wise. But its hard for me to understand what she likes to eat. Ive giving her from different kinds of puppy food to some chicken, which she eats and some cooked steak which she eats very little. I also give her a cup of milk which she drinks..not all though.any help would be greatly appriciated!!!

2. Im not sure if shes protective already or not but she acts like she wants to bite everybody when i take her out. She barks a lot and acts aggressive...but then some people pet her and shes fine?? Which is odd haha...either way i was just curious if thats normal at such a young age.

With that said shes the best puppy and im very happy with her. Already about 90% pottie trained which im surprised..and she can actually fetch too. For the most part.

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-24-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Greekplaya020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new puppy. I moved this into the puppy section where you will hopefully get more help PLUS be able to wander around and look at past questions to pick out the ones that may be also helpful to you and your new addition.

Make sure you really take a good read on --> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Call your breeder about the food question. They'll know what and how much should be appropriate for a puppy that age.

Puppies are NOT protective (not real intelligent protective) until a year or so. What you see instead is a FEAR reaction that is normal and the reason we need to work on socializing and working them thru new situations. So instead of being so scary our puppies react to bark/growl and keep it away, they learn it's ordinary and normal and just passed by quietly or in a friendly manner.

Development & Socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.