German Shepherds Forum banner

Rogue update (Picture heavy!)

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Capone22 
#1 ·
It's been a little while since I have updated on Rogue. She is doing well, growing and full of energy and spunk! She is a handful!! She is still very small, and having loose stool issues. We aren't sure why yet, looking into SIBO now. Renal Dysplasia has ben ruled out, So if anyone has any other ideas as to why she is SO small please let me know. She is 5 months on the 26th and is now 22 pounds and about 16 inches now. (Measuring her is NOT easy :crazy:) She is at a healthy weight for her body though, I will show it in the pictures. She is doing really well with training, she is SO smart. We are hopefully doing some french ring, and I am working with a local club, which is a lot of fun! So anyways here are pictures from the past week. Enjoy :wub:
Showing her shape- good weight for her body.

Being a good girl on Thanksgiving-

OMG she DOES lay down and rest :crazy::rolleyes:

Good size difference comparison, she is next to a 50-55 pound rottie mix/mutt

Naughty puppy-

Nice morning walk with my family (That is my husband/son and daughter)

Thanks for looking :D

See less See more
#4 ·
Tee hee ... she's a beauty though! You might have better luck with her being small (and black) with people being less afraid of her ...

I know when Ky was a puppy everyone wanted to see her ... not so much as she grew up! I do get LOADS of comments on how stunning she is, but only the real dog savvy people will approach ... ok, I'm lying, I get loads of idiots, but I steer them away right quick!

#6 ·
But mals are much smaller than gsds! Rafi only weighs 58 pounds!

I would guess that Rogue will be well under 50 pounds at her full weight. And I would also guess that her size has everything to do with her (in)breeding.

SIBO is a good next guess. What are you feeding now? Have you tried something like Perfect Form by Honest Kitchen to film things up? That did wonders for Rafi (he is still on a low dose).

She looks totally proportionate. She clearly loves life and looks very smart and engaged!

#7 ·
SIBO would cause weight loss, and/or lack of weight gain, by definition. The 1st clue our dog had SIBO was he lost 10lb. in 3 weeks.
I mean it melted off him- and his bloodwork showed his body was metabolizing itself as he was starving although he was eating.

SIBO - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

I'm not saying it's not worth it to try but...her body weight looks really good for potential SIBO...

What are you feeding and how much/how often?

We had a Great Dane come in that was on a good food for that breed and all, but the key was to feed him more often and smaller meals and he stopped having diarrhea and gained weight. Wasn't a medically treatable condition but more his body's way of metabolizing the food I guess. It took getting him into a home where she could feed him multiple meals, although he gained here, it was slower than when he got in his own home and could eat more frequently.

#8 ·
Well she has been on a couple different medications, and yah she is gaining well now. For a while, if she wasn't on medication she would get diarrhea that would get worse very quickly and she would drop all of her weight, like from 11 pounds to 7 suddenly, and get dehydrated. But that hasn't happened since her last round of antibiotics. I give her pumpkin and yogurt as of last week with her meals and it has helped some also. She is on Natures Domain Fish. She was one Natures variety raw instinct, and then honest kitchen. But that was when she was having the bad diarrhea and the vet asked me to change it to something with more fat to try and keep some weight on her. So I did. I still have a lot of honest kitchen left. I can mix it. but since shes doing ok on this food I haven't messed with it. Aside from the pumpkin and yogurt.

Last time she had blood work it showed protein levels a bit low, which the vet said made sense because of the diarrhea and that she wasn't keeping the nutrients. I need to get her blood work re done and make sure it went up. Seems like it has, because she is gaining and putting on a little muscle now.

I guess I was just really concerned that the small size was part of a larger problem, but if her poops are better with what I am feeding and she's healthy and active I should just leave it all alone.

#10 ·
Have you added Salmon oil to her diet? If not the Grizzly (squirt on) kind then a capsule?
You may want to try that. Some say coconut oil is good for a healthy source of fat, as well.

I don't know...she looks good other than she's small, and she's just going to be small, I think. You'll have to watch a few things - the overall picture (which, right now she looks great and proportionate), and her activity levels, a SIBO dog is sick and looks and acts sick because they feel sick.

Go ahead and read through that SIBO/EPI info site, for a full understanding of how those things appear and work - a small dog is a small dog - a dog dying of malnutrition despite a good diet, because it has SIBO, is pretty unmistakable.

#11 ·
I did coconut for a while. Just ran out. I have grizzly in my fridge also. I need to add it in. I think your right. Small is just small. But before she was very sickly looking. Now she looks great, and hopefully she's over whatever was causing the issues before. We never figured it out.

Shell be the tiniest shepherd running after the helper lol I am looking into agility. She should be quick and agile if she's around 30-40 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

#15 ·
That's a good plan - keep in mind the big picture, try to focus on her health and not size ;)
She looks happy and healthy now!

I've read a lot of articles that say that fish oil should be taken in capsule form only as once it gets exposed to air it immediately starts to go rancid.
We started giving fish oil in capsules to a few of our foster dogs who had a poor hair coat, and then started tossing it in for a few of the others who were just a bit thin, and I'm truly amazed at the difference!

My own Tristan (recently dx'ed with murmur/enlarged heart) had lost a lot of weight and he's not thin any longer!

We just bought the Costco kind - I'd love to take it myself but can't deal with the fish oil burps :sick:

#12 ·
She would be awesome for agility or flyball! Great size!

I would skip yogurt and instead use a refrigerated probiotic. I've read a lot of articles that say that fish oil should be taken in capsule form only as once it gets exposed to air it immediately starts to go rancid.

Try the Perfect Form. You can also add stuff like canned salmon to her food.

#13 ·
no matter her size, she is stinken cute!!!!

#14 ·
She's adorable. She looks a lot like my little Kylie. Kylie is also small for her age, but we don't know if she is pure GSD or not because we got her from the shelter.

Kylie has been on mitronazidole twice now, but both of those times were after puppy class, so we think it was because of the large amount of treats. I was using sliced hot dog mixed with her kibble then. Now I use boiled chicken mixed with her kibble for treats.

#20 ·
Kylie should be 4 months and 3 weeks today, if the shelter gave us the correct age. The vet said that they were within 2 weeks of the correct age for sure (because she was supposed to be 10.5 weeks when we got her and she had all of her puppy teeth and because her front teeth were all adult at 4 months, right when they should have been).

Exactly one week ago, she was 31 pounds. We haven't weighed her yet today. We usually weigh her using the Wii Fit Plus every week. It has always been within 10% of the weight we've gotten from the vet, so it's reasonably accurate. She's been gaining 1.5-2 pounds each week.

I just had her stand next to the yardstick. Her back is at about 20 inches and her head is at about 24-28 inches.

I'm going to guesstimate that she is probably 32.5-33 pounds now, but I won't really know until I weigh her later. My 14yo is playing Twilight Princess on the Wii right now, so I can't check her weight until she's done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.