How long did you have your puppy trainer? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How long did you have your puppy trainer?

Just curious as to how long you needed your puppy trainer, if you had one? Not puppy classes, a trainer that came to your house and worked with you and your pup
johnnyhotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

I never had a personal one on one trainer but we've been in classes, training with a club since she was 12 weeks, she's now almost 9 months. I'd be lost without the support and extra set of eyes on what I'm doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

As an in home all breed trainer for nearly 20 years, I still see many of the puppies I started in training years ago. As the puppy grows up the "problems" change. In the beginning they need help with housebreaking, manners & leash training. Next they have issues with pushing limits & socialization. Lastly its usually off leash control & protectiveness. Even after their dog is trained, I often hear from clients that some behavior has popped up or returned. This is usually because of something the owner has been/not been doing. I can give them ideas of what to try over the phone & never have to make a training visit. Some clients I have known for over 15 years & still hear from them from time to time. I believe a trainer has an obligation to be there for the whole life of the dog, whatever help or information the owner may need. But that's just MHO.
k9carrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

puppy class started at 10 weeks old and it was
much more than a room with 6 or 7 pups running
around. the class was structured. the puppy class
was a 6 week (maybe 9 week) class. private lessons
started at 4 months old. we went to our trainers house
for lessons. i think we attended 4 or 6 private lessons.
after the few private lessons i trained him. after 2 yrs
or 2&1/2 years my dog was nicely trained. the last thing
i trained he to do was "back up" on command. that was
2 yrs ago, i think.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I can't imagine needing a private trainer for a puppy! They're so much more expensive that a group class, so I wouldn't use one for basic puppy training.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
As an in home all breed trainer for nearly 20 years, I still see many of the puppies I started in training years ago. As the puppy grows up the "problems" change. In the beginning they need help with housebreaking, manners & leash training. Next they have issues with pushing limits & socialization. Lastly its usually off leash control & protectiveness. Even after their dog is trained, I often hear from clients that some behavior has popped up or returned. This is usually because of something the owner has been/not been doing. I can give them ideas of what to try over the phone & never have to make a training visit. Some clients I have known for over 15 years & still hear from them from time to time. I believe a trainer has an obligation to be there for the whole life of the dog, whatever help or information the owner may need. But that's just MHO.
Ahh what a wonderful way to put it!

Quote:
I can't imagine needing a private trainer for a puppy! They're so much more expensive that a group class, so I wouldn't use one for basic puppy training.
Unfortunately, if I only went to puppy classes we'd have a horrible pup that doesn't know anything because our pup class is kinda crap where I live! We go to classes for additional socialization and to do a little training in a different environment. Our personal trainer is great, I've had her for 3 or 4 weeks now and my pup is learning lots with her, I just am none too fond of her personally (but she's SUCH an awesome trainer that I put up with it for an hour a week! haha) and kind of want to get an idea of how much I have to put up with her. Anything for my little girl, though
johnnyhotshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i like private lessons for a pup because i think it's easier
for them to learn. there's to many distractions in a group
class. i like having a little control before entering a group
class. i add distractions slowly during training. i don't
start any formal training (OB) untill my dogs are 4 months
old. they know a few things before 4 months old but
the good stuff starts at 4 months old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.