German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   How long did you have your puppy trainer? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/194844-how-long-did-you-have-your-puppy-trainer.html)

johnnyhotshot 11-21-2012 07:19 PM

How long did you have your puppy trainer?

Just curious as to how long you needed your puppy trainer, if you had one? Not puppy classes, a trainer that came to your house and worked with you and your pup :)

gaia_bear 11-21-2012 07:56 PM

I never had a personal one on one trainer but we've been in classes, training with a club since she was 12 weeks, she's now almost 9 months. I'd be lost without the support and extra set of eyes on what I'm doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

k9carrie 11-21-2012 08:32 PM

As an in home all breed trainer for nearly 20 years, I still see many of the puppies I started in training years ago. As the puppy grows up the "problems" change. In the beginning they need help with housebreaking, manners & leash training. Next they have issues with pushing limits & socialization. Lastly its usually off leash control & protectiveness. Even after their dog is trained, I often hear from clients that some behavior has popped up or returned. This is usually because of something the owner has been/not been doing. I can give them ideas of what to try over the phone & never have to make a training visit. Some clients I have known for over 15 years & still hear from them from time to time. I believe a trainer has an obligation to be there for the whole life of the dog, whatever help or information the owner may need. But that's just MHO.

doggiedad 11-21-2012 08:59 PM

puppy class started at 10 weeks old and it was
much more than a room with 6 or 7 pups running
around. the class was structured. the puppy class
was a 6 week (maybe 9 week) class. private lessons
started at 4 months old. we went to our trainers house
for lessons. i think we attended 4 or 6 private lessons.
after the few private lessons i trained him. after 2 yrs
or 2&1/2 years my dog was nicely trained. the last thing
i trained he to do was "back up" on command. that was
2 yrs ago, i think.

Cassidy's Mom 11-21-2012 09:31 PM

I can't imagine needing a private trainer for a puppy! They're so much more expensive that a group class, so I wouldn't use one for basic puppy training.

johnnyhotshot 11-21-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

As an in home all breed trainer for nearly 20 years, I still see many of the puppies I started in training years ago. As the puppy grows up the "problems" change. In the beginning they need help with housebreaking, manners & leash training. Next they have issues with pushing limits & socialization. Lastly its usually off leash control & protectiveness. Even after their dog is trained, I often hear from clients that some behavior has popped up or returned. This is usually because of something the owner has been/not been doing. I can give them ideas of what to try over the phone & never have to make a training visit. Some clients I have known for over 15 years & still hear from them from time to time. I believe a trainer has an obligation to be there for the whole life of the dog, whatever help or information the owner may need. But that's just MHO.
Ahh what a wonderful way to put it!

Quote:

I can't imagine needing a private trainer for a puppy! They're so much more expensive that a group class, so I wouldn't use one for basic puppy training.
Unfortunately, if I only went to puppy classes we'd have a horrible pup that doesn't know anything because our pup class is kinda crap where I live! We go to classes for additional socialization and to do a little training in a different environment. Our personal trainer is great, I've had her for 3 or 4 weeks now and my pup is learning lots with her, I just am none too fond of her personally (but she's SUCH an awesome trainer that I put up with it for an hour a week! haha) and kind of want to get an idea of how much I have to put up with her. Anything for my little girl, though :)

doggiedad 11-21-2012 10:32 PM

i like private lessons for a pup because i think it's easier
for them to learn. there's to many distractions in a group
class. i like having a little control before entering a group
class. i add distractions slowly during training. i don't
start any formal training (OB) untill my dogs are 4 months
old. they know a few things before 4 months old but
the good stuff starts at 4 months old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom (Post 2636214)