Jogging-when to start? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jogging-when to start?

I would like to start jogging with my dog...when HE is ready. What is a good age to start? I should mention that I am not currently a recreational runner. I have dabbled in the past but never stuck with it long enough to really reap the benefits. I've played sports my whole life (football, hockey, soccer, basketball, mountain bike....pretty much you name it) but have not participated in any active sport besides beer league softball in close to two years, so in a sense Jackson and I would both be starting together, and taking baby steps. Is 6 months too young to start? I would probably start off with a run/walk routine for no more than 30 minutes at a time (1 minute run/3 walk or something similar) until able to jog for 30 minutes at an easy pace. Any other runners out there have advice on when/how to get started?
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You could ask your breeder as he/she knows their dogs well, at least they should.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I guess I could ask the breeder. But I would prefer to get feedback/advice from fellow forum members.
FirstTimeGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can definitely start now especially as you aren't in shape either and aren't going to go very far or very fast right away. Start slow and let your dog determine how fast and far he's able to go. The more coordinated the pup and the more able he will be able to jog so don't judge your pup by anyone else's pup as they are all different. Use common sense and build him up slowly, watch him for signs of getting tired or out of breath so you can give him a break, and make sure not to push him faster or farther than he's well able to do.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have been running with Milla since she was 4 months but I go at her pace and keep a close eye on her. When she slowed down, so did I. When she was done, so was I. Just go slow and know your dog. Milla's stamina is far better than mine and at 9 months she is continually looking back at me like "hurry up! are you still back there?"

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberGSD2 View Post
I have been running with Milla since she was 4 months but I go at her pace and keep a close eye on her. When she slowed down, so did I. When she was done, so was I. Just go slow and know your dog. Milla's stamina is far better than mine and at 9 months she is continually looking back at me like "hurry up! are you still back there?"
This is how my dogs are too. Even when I'm biking them as fast as my legs will pedal, they look up at me and ask if that's all I've got. I can never be fast enough or go far enough for them. That said, I don't let them race the whole time, it's just part of the interval training I do with them.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I waited until my puppy was about 11 months old to begin running, but we were walking about 7 or 8 miles a day up until that point. I was a runner but had taken some time off from a knee injury so when we started running together we both got into it gradually and built up distance and speed slowly. Starting out together with a basic training program is a sensible way to do it.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

if i were going to run with my dog i would wait
untill he's a year old or maybe older.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can wait to run your dog if you want, but there's no reason to and every reason to get started on it the sooner the better.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
You can wait to run your dog if you want, but there's no reason to and every reason to get started on it the sooner the better.
Thanks for this, but what's all this talk about waiting until about 18 months or so, so that the dog has filled out and there aren't any issues with joints? Is there any truth to that?

When I think of that, I'm not sure how much sense it really truly makes. I remember when I was growing up as a child up until 18 or 19, I used to run and play sports for a good 3-5 hours almost everyday, whether at home or at school. I'd go go go go and stop as needed. It felt great.

I'd imagine it'd feel great for the pup too, so as long as we are going at his/her pace, and certainly healthy. So I agree with what you've said, but would a vet?
reck0n3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.