Should I let them play this rough? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question Should I let them play this rough?

I know GSD's like to play rough and that doesn't bother me, my main concern is letting my almost 12 week old rough house with his "older brother".

I usually stand very close to them when they're playing and only allow them short sessions because the golden gets over stimulated sometimes. But they both seem to love it and the pup always wants to run back in for more, I just worry about the size difference... for now.

The play I'm talking about is a little further in the video... I've never had my own dogs play like this lol, they have always just ignored each other so this is new for me. Am I being a worry wort?

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

What a great video! Personally, I saw nothing wrong with their play, BUT I couldn't hear anything from the dogs.

Had I heard yelping and the golden not backing off I would have interrupted and stopped play.

Around the 3 minute mark, I noticed that Ollie actually had a great grip of the golden's gums / jaw and the golden didn't seem to mind at all.

If you think that's rough ... you would freak out at some of Kyleigh's play! She's so loud she sounds like a baby lion!

They looked like they were having a blast, and the golden looked like he was initiating a lot of the play, and teaching Ollie the rules!

I have a video of it, but I don't know how to upload it on here!

Last edited by Kyleigh; 11-14-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Very cute video. I don't see anything wrong. Here are my two for comparison

I was suggested from my video to take off their collars if they play like this because the collar can get caught in their teeth and choke the other doggie very quickly. I don't see your doggies getting caught up in the collars but if they do, I'd suggest taking them off for you you as well!
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I agree. Looks OK to me. I thought the golden had Ollie's muzzle in his mouth..which I wouldn't allow as it's dominance. However, the pup looked like he was having a good time! The only worry I had was the toy that Sam had in his mouth because you'd said he resource guards toys. That may start a fight in the future. You should see Grim and Layla play, LOL!! It's REALLY rough! I guess I should get a vid of that. He sounds like a young bear the entire time they play. They also 'body slam' each other. He knocked her over twice outside at full speed when she was trying to poo the other day. I did get after him for that, but he ignored me. Oh, the collars I haven't had an issue with, but the day Layla had her harness on for the trip to my MIL's house, Grim was dragging her around by her harness, LOL!

Boy, Ollie has GROWN!! Such a good looking boy!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Amina, you dogs are gorgeous!! Good example of typical shepherd rough housing!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Amina, you dogs are gorgeous!! Good example of typical shepherd rough housing!
Thanks c: They're a good pair. I used to have a big park across the street from my home in Las Vegas. You should've seen them rough house there. They used to be off leash. Just wish I had a bigger backyard but I'm greatful nonetheless :P
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks! And good point about the noises they make, there wasn't any yelping just play growling and angry bear cub noises from Ollie.

This is what I wanted though, for them to play together like this because the golden wants so bad to play but my smaller dogs were NOT interested LOL.

I'll still feel better about this when Ollie is bigger lol!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I agree. Looks OK to me. I thought the golden had Ollie's muzzle in his mouth..which I wouldn't allow as it's dominance. However, the pup looked like he was having a good time! The only worry I had was the toy that Sam had in his mouth because you'd said he resource guards toys. That may start a fight in the future. You should see Grim and Layla play, LOL!! It's REALLY rough! I guess I should get a vid of that. He sounds like a young bear the entire time they play. They also 'body slam' each other. He knocked her over twice outside at full speed when she was trying to poo the other day. I did get after him for that, but he ignored me. Oh, the collars I haven't had an issue with, but the day Layla had her harness on for the trip to my MIL's house, Grim was dragging her around by her harness, LOL!

Boy, Ollie has GROWN!! Such a good looking boy!
For some reason Sam doesn't seem to resource guard outside as much but I pay VERY close attention to his body language and if I see any body stiffening I take the toy and if I'm not paying close attention to them then no toys. But for whatever reason Sam likes to have the dogs try to take his toy when he's outside sometimes.

And thanks! I couldn't tell that he'd grown until I watched a video today of the first day I brought him home. His ears are being funny today and going every which way, up and down lol.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
x11
Banned

cute vids, i don't see anything wrong - the risk of possiby hurting a joint/limb is prolly more than a bite i would think.

some folks believe all "play" is a role play for a future fight for dominance???

here are my clowns getting rough many months ago;

x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
Very cute video. I don't see anything wrong. Here are my two for comparison

Roughing it! - YouTube

I was suggested from my video to take off their collars if they play like this because the collar can get caught in their teeth and choke the other doggie very quickly. I don't see your doggies getting caught up in the collars but if they do, I'd suggest taking them off for you you as well!
Beautiful dogs Zeeva! Someday I want a husky, someday!

And thanks for reminding me about the collars, the golden is pretty gentle with his mouth but never hurts to be safer than sorry.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.