2 Huge Issues (puppy too skinny? boyfriend doesn't like her?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2 Huge Issues (puppy too skinny? boyfriend doesn't like her?)

1. My babygirl is 11mths now and is 55lbs and 22inches. She doesn't look skinny at all, eats twice a day but can't seem to pu on more weight. I've accepted that she won't get much taller but I want her to gain weight! Any suggestions fellw GSD lovers!?

2. My boyfriend hates her, and she doesn't like him. I can't seem to get them to come together and be happy. She is overly submissive to him and has been scared of him since DAY 1! My boyfriend picked her out the day we saw her and often reminds me how much he regrets it. We have had her since 6wks and she refuses to fully warm up to him. He tries all the time but can't seem to make any lasting or solid foundation with their relationship. We fight all the time about her, and it's straining the relationship. We have been together for 2yrs and have had Raisa for one. He even rehomed his Boxer because he has started to hate dogs. (which has caused even more issues) I won't give my girl up, so what on earth are my options? Any special training? Is there such a thing as dog therapy to resolve their issues? Lol I'm dying here! Why can't everybody just get along!?

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-14-2012 at 09:33 AM.
britnbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm not sure about an answer to your first question, aside from comparing her to the size of her parents (likely her mother). If she looks and acts healthy, then she probably is. Why do you want to put more weight on her?

For your second question, how old are you? Honestly, if your bf has already gotten rid of his dog, then I don't see him changing his opinion for yours. And besides, why would your dog like your bf when she can already tell he doesn't like her? Dogs are very keen to our emotions. All I can suggest is to talk to a trainer and give your boyfriend the duty of working with her there and at home. Have him feed her. Have him train her. Have him play with her. You should probably take a backburner to all of this. You may even need couples counseling with your boyfriend. If you guys are fighting about a DOG simply because she is submissive to him there is obviously something else going on in your relationship. THAT should not be a fighting point. GSDs tend to choose one person as "theirs". Its obvious she has chosen you. I'm sure others can chime in here. Good luck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry, I'm not sure what to say about the boyfriend part but your girl's weight sounds fine for her height and age. When my girl was that age she was 25" and weighed 63 pounds. She's around 67 pounds now. As your girl matures and fills out she may put on another 5 pounds or so but her weight sounds fine right now.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnbyrd View Post
1. My babygirl is 11mths now and is 55lbs and 22inches. She doesn't look skinny at all, eats twice a day but can't seem to pu on more weight. I've accepted that she won't get much taller but I want her to gain weight! Any suggestions fellw GSD lovers!?

2. My boyfriend hates her, and she doesn't like him. I can't seem to get them to come together and be happy. She is overly submissive to him and has been scared of him since DAY 1! My boyfriend picked her out the day we saw her and often reminds me how much he regrets it. We have had her since 6wks and she refuses to fully warm up to him. He tries all the time but can't seem to make any lasting or solid foundation with their relationship. We fight all the time about her, and it's straining the relationship. We have been together for 2yrs and have had Raisa for one. He even rehomed his Boxer because (which has caused even more issues) I won't give my girl up, so what on earth are my options? Any special training? Is there such a thing as dog therapy to resolve their issues? Lol I'm dying here! Why can't everybody just get along!?
My baby girl is 10 & 1/2 months old and weighs in at 58 lbs...she's long and lean. As long as Raisa is healthy, I wouldn't worry about her weight.
They will start to fill out as they mature more.

As for the boyfriend...well, I personally couldn't and WOULDN'T deal with that/ him.
From what you are saying, the dog isn't going to respect him.
She fears him and senses his dislike for her. Not good.
I'm not sure you can fix the relationship with them. (Dogs are smarter than you think.)

IMO, I think I would re-examine what choices you have.

This would be easy for me...Dump the boyfriend, keep the dog.
Sorry, JMO.

Kat

Last edited by KatsMuse; 11-14-2012 at 07:08 AM.
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

When Minka was young (under a 1.5 years) I fed her a lot of food and she was skinny. However, she was also very active. Now that she is 2.5 years she has filled out and is a nice, muscular girl. She still eats a lot but is still active. So I would not worry too much about a puppy's weight as they are growing as long as there are no other health issues. FYI: I worry more about an overweight puppy.

I have to agree with KatsMuse, I would not tolerate anybody in my life that didn't like my animals or my kids (OK I don't have kids but if I did). Nope no way.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaeUlva View Post
I would not worry too much about a puppy's weight as they are growing as long as there are no other health issues. FYI: I worry more about an overweight puppy.

I have to agree with KatsMuse, I would not tolerate anybody in my life that didn't like my animals or my kids (OK I don't have kids but if I did). Nope no way.
^^^ This^^^
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

1. Keep the dog
2. Boot the guy
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Why exactly does he hate her? I don't really get what's going on.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Is your boyfriend jealous of the time you spend with Raisa? My husband got into a snit when I brought Raina home. He was and still is a little jealous of her and the time I spent with her. Basically I have always told him, don't ever ask me to choose between my dog and you because you won't like the results. In my opinion, your boyfriend needs to grow up. If not, maybe dump the boyfriend and keep the dog.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm confused as to why the two of you got the dog if he doesn't like dogs. You said he even helped you pick her out which is strange for someone who didn't want her. I'm not sure what kind of advice to give. You said you refuse to get rid of her but having her grow up in an environment where she's hated is sad and unfair. I don't want to tell you to dump your BF either since you've been together for 2 years. Have you tried having a talk with him about it and how serious it is to you? I'm a dog person and I have to have a dog in my life so for me, I don't think I would stay with someone who couldn't handle that because my life would feel incomplete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.