2 Huge Issues (puppy too skinny? boyfriend doesn't like her?) - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #41 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Send the BF back to his breeder....
This^^^^^^

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #42 (permalink)

I'm not so sure why he doesn't like the dog, you should probably explain it more. I know when I brought Draven home, he goes to bed in our bedroom while my wife and I have our time.

And while I love my dog, my family comes first (Within reason) while I often tease my wife about my Cat (Which I've had for 12 years, we've been Married for 10) that he was here before my wife, and if she keeps it up he'll be here after her... my wife comes first.

Really the only thing that trumps the wife is the kids. Love Draven he's the apple of my eye I pour hours and hours a week training him, walking him, playing with him, holding his bones to chew, belly scratches, throwing the ball etc.

But in the end I wouldn't break up my family for the dog.
TrentL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Some very good responses here and some light hearted ones as well.

It does seem as if the BF has some issues with your pup. Maybe he is jealous of the time your dog takes you away from him -who knows? He may have picked her put and gone along with it but he may never have really wanted her. Again- who knows but him? I think it wise of you to take a breather from this relationship and see how things pan out. Your pup may be suffering in this relationship and the stress level is not good for her either.

If she came home at 6 weeks it sounds as if she came from a byb or some other less than reputable breeder. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, breeders keep pups til at least 7.5 to 8 weeks. The time between 6 and 8 weeks is crucial to a pup's social development. Some pups are socially stunted by this, some not. I do not know about your girl but despite the BF's attitude toward her, I do not like that she has put her teeth on him to bite. Does not bode well.

If you and BF do not reconcile and your pup stays with you, consider carefully in the next relationship.

I was a single mom for about 8 years. My son wanted a German Shepherd. We ended up getting a second one when the first was 18 months old. I met my current husband and he was terrified of the dogs. I made him feed them. When we started to get a little serious he got the speech. I am a package, you get me, you get the little boy, 2 dogs and a cat. Take it or leave it. He stayed and we will celebrate 20 years in January. Several GSD's later and he loves them as much as I.

My little boy is almost 29 now. His biological father hates animals and we would never been allowed to have a dog. I was raised with them and always wanted one as an adult. That was not the reason for the divorce but I think in the long run we were way better off.

So this may be a painful thing now but sometimes we need surgery to make us better.

Look into training for your pup if you have not done so already. 11 months and it is time for adult food now too. Her weight and height sound fine for her age.

Good luck and hugs to you!

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC (1/03)
UAG1,UNC1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V. TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH (6/07)
UAG1,URO1 Tidmore's Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,RN,HT,CGC, (4/12)

Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #44 (permalink)

This reminds me some what of the relationship with my ex gf. I love dogs and so does she, but I am SCARRED of pitbulls. I was bitten once by them and ever since then I grew a phobia when it came to that type of breed. So my ex gf knew this and went one day to the shelter and fell in love with a pitbull puppy and adopted him. I was not to thrilled but I decided to give it a shot and maybe once and for all get over that dumb fear I had. Needless to say I wasn't able too. So I was stuck in a hard place. She became attached to "buddy" and I wasn't able to get along with him. We started arguing about it and I realized I was being selfish. I wasn't going to make her choose him or me. Therefor, we agreed on calling it off before it got to the point of us hating each. I am glad we did that. We became good friends and moved on with out lives. Buddy has become a huge part of her life and I am enjoying mine with my GSD Schatzi and Alaskan Malamute Cudi. She still stops by the house once in a while to say hi and play around with my dogs.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that your bf either has to accept the fact that your dog will be part of your life no matter what and if he is not willing too then it should be called off. Best of Luck
lennoxbradley88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #45 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Here's a story for you that I think may help with your decision:

When I was young and single, I had a magnificent rescued dobie mix who was my best friend. Any time she met a new human friend of mine, she had a way of telling me very clearly what she thought of them -- most of my friends she loved. I vividly remember one occasion when she told me in clear terms she strongly dislike a couple who was over socializing (growling and barking at them in a way that was very uncharacteristic of this dog) -- I later learned they were unsavory characters I didn't want to know. Her instincts were spot on.

I learned to trust her after that. She did the same thing with guys I dated. She never had as strong a positive reaction to any man she met that was quite as overwhelming as the way she greeted the man who became my husband -- she knew from the second he walked in the door to pick me up for our first date that he was going to be her papa, and she couldn't wait for him to know it. It's like she recognized him from another life. She was right about him too!

Mr. Magwart was then not a dog person as a young man, and he at first thought she was sweet but weird. I knew how right she was about him one Saturday a few months later when he stayed with her when I went to run errands and I found them sacked out napping happily together on the couch (with my dog lying on top of him). She taught him to be a dog person, and once he fell for her, he's been the doggiest-of-dog people. He loves dogs now -- and it's all thanks to that little dobie mix who brought out an inner animal-lover he didn't know he had.

The point of all this is to suggest that perhaps you might consider trusting your dog. If she's afraid of this guy, ask yourself what she's picking up that you might be missing.
Your story melts my heart
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #46 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnbyrd View Post
1. My babygirl is 11mths now and is 55lbs and 22inches. She doesn't look skinny at all, eats twice a day but can't seem to pu on more weight. I've accepted that she won't get much taller but I want her to gain weight! Any suggestions fellw GSD lovers!?

2. My boyfriend hates her, and she doesn't like him. I can't seem to get them to come together and be happy. She is overly submissive to him and has been scared of him since DAY 1! My boyfriend picked her out the day we saw her and often reminds me how much he regrets it. We have had her since 6wks and she refuses to fully warm up to him. He tries all the time but can't seem to make any lasting or solid foundation with their relationship. We fight all the time about her, and it's straining the relationship. We have been together for 2yrs and have had Raisa for one. He even rehomed his Boxer because he has started to hate dogs. (which has caused even more issues) I won't give my girl up, so what on earth are my options? Any special training? Is there such a thing as dog therapy to resolve their issues? Lol I'm dying here! Why can't everybody just get along!?
He gave up his own dog its a hard thing to do... that means he feels strong about his hatred towards dogs, not necesserely YOUR dog. You made yourself clear that you wont give up your dog. I think when two people feel so strongly about something they can't agree on the best thing to is separate. I don't know why your dog hates him I mean she knew him form when she was a baby, maybe he abuses her when you are not there. Get away from that guy, find a man who will love you and your dog.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

don't worry about your dogs height and weight. some
GSD's are smaller.

you said your boyfriend tries all of the time to establish
a relatioship with your dog. your dog probably can sense
his dislike for her. i've had GF's in the past that i didn't
like their dogs. i didn't force myself on their dogs. i would
feed them if necessary and treat them but i didn't give
them commands or try to cuddle with them or pet
them. i gave the dogs a lot of space and everything was fine.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #48 (permalink)

Listen to your dog... she's afraid of him for a reason. Ditch the bf
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:28 AM   #49 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennoxbradley88 View Post
This reminds me some what of the relationship with my ex gf. I love dogs and so does she, but I am SCARRED of pitbulls. I was bitten once by them and ever since then I grew a phobia when it came to that type of breed. So my ex gf knew this and went one day to the shelter and fell in love with a pitbull puppy and adopted him. I was not to thrilled but I decided to give it a shot and maybe once and for all get over that dumb fear I had. Needless to say I wasn't able too. So I was stuck in a hard place. She became attached to "buddy" and I wasn't able to get along with him. We started arguing about it and I realized I was being selfish. I wasn't going to make her choose him or me. Therefor, we agreed on calling it off before it got to the point of us hating each. I am glad we did that. We became good friends and moved on with out lives. Buddy has become a huge part of her life and I am enjoying mine with my GSD Schatzi and Alaskan Malamute Cudi. She still stops by the house once in a while to say hi and play around with my dogs.

I guess what I am trying to say here is that your bf either has to accept the fact that your dog will be part of your life no matter what and if he is not willing too then it should be called off. Best of Luck
What a great story and good for you for being responsible and seeing how it was going.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 AM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member

I hate to be so bold but dogs are an amazing judge of character. My gsd king(rip) hated one of my exs. Should have listened and not wasted that time with him. She is telling you something. Cause when I met graham king loved him. Believe me. Your best interest is always most important to the dog. :-)
Listen to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.