2 Huge Issues (puppy too skinny? boyfriend doesn't like her?) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If my partner would not accept my dog, my feelings for him would immediately go down the drain. When I met my hubby I had a dog and he genuinely liked him from the very start, which was attractive to me. The dog also loved him and he (dog) was not a social butterfly. Dogs know....so take your cues from your dog. She may be small but her instincts are huge.
Don't look back, just take your dog and keep walking.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I would be a little cautious about listening to the dog or advising people to trust their dogs (if you don't actually know the dog).

Dogs don't always have the best judgement.
The reason they do "temperament tests" (which I'm sure some of your own dogs would fail) such as people with canes, people with umbrellas, etc., is that some dogs have never seen these things.
Our last GSD was good with everyone, all the time. Until he saw my Grandpa (who is a good person and a dog lover himself) with his cane, walking stooped over. He'd never seen a "three legged person" before.
That's just really how dogs are.
For another example, the other day someone posted their dog is terrified of their ceiling fan. Are you going to get rid of the ceiling fan because it "must have bad intentions"?

THAT said - I agree that since the OPs bf isn't enamored of the dog and in fact dislikes strongly or even "hates" her, that she is right to not like him, either...as jagg said, dogs can sense it.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
I learned to trust her after that. She did the same thing with guys I dated. She never had as strong a positive reaction to any man she met that was quite as overwhelming as the way she greeted the man who became my husband -- she knew from the second he walked in the door to pick me up for our first date that he was going to be her papa, and she couldn't wait for him to know it. It's like she recognized him from another life. She was right about him too!
This is exactly what happened to someone I know! Her husband is the only guy her dog ever liked from the get-go. She knew right from day 1 that he was a keeper!

To the OP, I guess it depends on you and how much you love animals. I have to have them in my life. That would be a total deal breaker for me, and I would not hesitate to tell a guy to hit the bricks if he ever asked me to get rid of my dog.

But that's just me.

Honestly, your boyfriend comes across as uncaring and controlling. Big red flags for me.

Good luck with this decision.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post

Dogs don't always have the best judgement.

THAT said - I agree that since the OPs bf isn't enamored of the dog and in fact dislikes strongly or even "hates" her, that she is right to not like him, either...as jagg said, dogs can sense it.
I agree, I'm just not going to blame the BF because I don't know him and he's not here to share his side. Maybe his frustration with the dog (albeit unfair) stems from how the dog has always approached him? That's how it was with my husband. It wasn't that he hated my dog - totally not true, he's probably more of a dog lover in general than I am! - but my dog acted terrified of him for years, for absolutely no reason. That was frustrating for him, even though it's not the dog's fault either.

Anyway, I think the OP has done the right thing. Take some space and sort this out.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

Default About her attitude

She has bitten him twice. Nothing severe but enough to have my boyfriend not even want her out when he is home from work. She doesn't listen to him AT ALL. Ignores him completely. If he asks her to do something sometimes she run to her cage or tries to come sit by me instead. This is all so stressful. It's caused so many issues. Half of the time when she does listen she approaches it with caution and does it as slow as she can.
britnbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #36 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd say her pensive nature likely came from leaving the breeder two weeks early.

The control issue your bf has is what is frightening...does he mishandle her?

I was with a guy when I got Gator (he was a yr. old), G bonded with me and not him...not in a bad way w/him, G just followed me everywhere and he couldn't coax him from waiting at the bathroo door for me...so he naturally lost interest in him (flippen male ego's) and wouldn't help pay expences, walk him etc. So in one of my rants about his uselessness (dog wasn't theonly issue), he piped off "well - get rid of him"...so I got rid of the BF instead.

Gator and I have been living together happily for 7 years...the trade off was G makes me smile every single day!!!...too many times a day to count....there was never a single person, job, comedy show or other that could ever do that

In fact it's our anniversary tomorrow
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 11-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnbyrd View Post
She has bitten him twice. Nothing severe but enough to have my boyfriend not even want her out when he is home from work. She doesn't listen to him AT ALL. Ignores him completely. If he asks her to do something sometimes she run to her cage or tries to come sit by me instead. This is all so stressful. It's caused so many issues. Half of the time when she does listen she approaches it with caution and does it as slow as she can.

I hate to say this, but listen to what your dog is trying to tell you, BF`s and GF`s come and go,

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnbyrd View Post
2. My boyfriend hates her, and she doesn't like him. I can't seem to get them to come together and be happy. She is overly submissive to him and has been scared of him since DAY 1! My boyfriend picked her out the day we saw her and often reminds me how much he regrets it. We have had her since 6wks and she refuses to fully warm up to him. He tries all the time but can't seem to make any lasting or solid foundation with their relationship. We fight all the time about her, and it's straining the relationship. We have been together for 2yrs and have had Raisa for one. He even rehomed his Boxer because he has started to hate dogs. (which has caused even more issues) I won't give my girl up, so what on earth are my options? Any special training? Is there such a thing as dog therapy to resolve their issues? Lol I'm dying here! Why can't everybody just get along!?

You can't really train boyfriends I say cut him loose?
Seriously? I would NEVER get serious with someone who does not love dogs as much as I do. That feeling will never go away and if you settle for a "Dog Hater" then you'll only feel resentful toward him.
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is an easy one: lose the boyfriend.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

Does your pup act like this towards anyone other than your BF?

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.