2 Huge Issues (puppy too skinny? boyfriend doesn't like her?) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Smile Thanks everyone!

I just joined this forum yesterday and love the fast responses. I sincerely appreciate all of the caring responses. This has unfortunately been a very difficult part of my life. I am 24 and have decided to move out for the time being. Giving my man and my babygirl some serious space. She is such a sweetheart, and everyone loves her but him. Maybe after my new lease is up we can see where they stand with each other again. I'm always getting told I'm choosing her over him and that's not a fair statement. He was around first, so I just think maybe with some space and a little more training we can resolve this issue. We have tried the "let him do everything" trick and it could never stick for long. Thanks for the advice everyone. It may seem a little silly to some of you, but it seems RIDICULOUS to me lol. I want a drama free house!

As for her weight, she is definitely on the smaller size. Truth be told I originally wanted the bigger shepherds, but she is petite like me and I love her! I'm feeding her Nutro Ultra for larger breed puppies, so I do believe this is just how God wanted her to be! I had been worried only because every German Shepherd I know is bigger than her. Thanks so much again for the replies, I love this forum!
britnbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

I got an application not too long ago (we have rescued dogs) from a young man who put his dog at a shelter or gave it away, due his girlfriend's request.

Guess what? They aren't together anymore (surprise!!) and he missed his dog and wanted to adopt another.

I told him he should have been more careful...we don't adopt dogs to people who give up their furry friends so easily.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I got an application not too long ago (we have rescued dogs) from a young man who put his dog at a shelter or gave it away, due his girlfriend's request.

Guess what? They aren't together anymore (surprise!!) and he missed his dog and wanted to adopt another.

I told him he should have been more careful...we don't adopt dogs to people who give up their furry friends so easily.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You sound like a strong woman, cudos to you for not giving up your dog. As the saying goes "if you love something set it free, if it comes back to you it's yours, if it doesn't it never was". So you will see where the boyfriend really stands.
It should never be about choosing, sad when it seems to happen. When I met my husband I had a horse. I told him if you ever make me choose between you and my horse, sorry buddy you loose. 20 years later he still brings it up!
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
1. Keep the dog
2. Boot the guy

Does he have any severe allergies or health issues related to your dog? Has your dog ever aggressed or caused him serious harm? If not, he has no case. I don't tolerate my SO giving me ludicrous ultimatums - doesn't fly in my book. If he is already kicking a fuss over something that he KNOWS is a very important and integral part of your life, makes me wonder...what else will he come up with later?

Believe me...been there, done that. My dogs are still here, minus the SO, and I am much happier for it!
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Send the BF back to his breeder....
Old 11-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #27 (permalink)

I would be a little cautious about listening to the dog or advising people to trust their dogs (if you don't actually know the dog). I had a dog that had a wacky temperament. She was never mistreated or neglected, in fact lived a very good life and had a high level of training, plenty of exercise, etc. But this dog loved some people and was terrified of others. By terrified I mean she would hide, cower, shake, even poop. No one *ever* mistreated this dog. She was terrified of my husband and he never even spoke to her, would just move very slow around her and be sure to drop treats when he was near her. My husband is like a big teddy bear, everyone who knows him loves him. He would never, ever mistreat a dog or anything or anyone. If I'd trusted my dog I would have been just plain wrong. If a dog has a weak temperament then you have to take that into account. I trust Nikon's judgments about people but he has a stable temperament. A dog that lacks confidence and is skittish around certain people for no reason, I'm not going to trust their judgment about people I already know.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
send the BF back the breeder?

LMAO ... love it

no other advice to add - you've heard it all!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britnbyrd View Post
1. My babygirl is 11mths now and is 55lbs and 22inches. She doesn't look skinny at all, eats twice a day but can't seem to pu on more weight. I've accepted that she won't get much taller but I want her to gain weight! Any suggestions fellw GSD lovers!?

2. My boyfriend hates her, and she doesn't like him. I can't seem to get them to come together and be happy. She is overly submissive to him and has been scared of him since DAY 1! My boyfriend picked her out the day we saw her and often reminds me how much he regrets it. We have had her since 6wks and she refuses to fully warm up to him. He tries all the time but can't seem to make any lasting or solid foundation with their relationship. We fight all the time about her, and it's straining the relationship. We have been together for 2yrs and have had Raisa for one. He even rehomed his Boxer because he has started to hate dogs. (which has caused even more issues) I won't give my girl up, so what on earth are my options? Any special training? Is there such a thing as dog therapy to resolve their issues? Lol I'm dying here! Why can't everybody just get along!?

the pup is fine, get rid of the boyfriend

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
ken k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wouldn't say the dog has no reason to be skittish. The BF has made it clear he strongly dislikes the dog. Dogs can feel that.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.