2 Huge Issues (puppy too skinny? boyfriend doesn't like her?) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsMuse View Post

This would be easy for me...Dump the boyfriend, keep the dog.
Sorry, JMO.

Kat
I have to say, how people treat animals is definitely a personality trait. Though I wouldn't have to go out with someone as nuts about pets as I am, they would have to at least enjoy being around them. I don't care if I have to do all the work and training but they have to at least appreciate the love from a pet.

Fact is, your boyfriend is being COMPLETELY honest with what's going on and clearly not going to change. So I give him credit for that.

Now it's up to you, really. Decide a boyfriend with this attitude to dogs is the one for you (which is fine). But then I would say you need to not have dogs in your home. It's not fair to THE DOG at this point. GSD's are extremely sensative and I'm sure the reason she acts towards him the way she does is what she's mirroring from him. He doesn't like her, period.

Can you contact the breeder per the puppy contract and have them take the dog back? That way your boyfriend will be happy, you no longer have to worry about your dog, and your dog will be found a happy home where everyone loves her.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send the BF back to his breeder....

It bothers me that your BF got rid of his dog because he suddenly didnt like dogs anymore. I think that speaks to his character and lack of commitment. The situation you described just gives me a bad vibe and it would even if I wasnt a dog lover. Think about what your future might look like with this guy.

Good luck.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm confued on the timeline.

When did the boyfriend give up his boxer?

I'd say take a long hard realisitc look at the boyfriend. He picked the puppy, now doesn't like her. He gave up his dog (not sure when) because he changed his mind. See where I'm gong.
Caledon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

As far as size, my 2 year old female is 23" tall and 56lbs. She is on the smaller side. I love it though. She is fast, active, and loves to play. She also sits on my lap comfortably unlike my oaf of a 6 month old male. He is already bigger. Your girl may get a bit taller and may gain a few more pounds, but if she doesn't I wouldn't worry.

Now, as far as the boyfriend, I don't like how you explained that. Like the others said, the lack of commitment he shows is kinda scary. On top of that, he treat dogs this way because he all of a sudden stops liking them? What happens if you have kids and he just gets bored with them? What happens to you when he just doesn't like you anymore?

When I married my husband, I told him the dog was here before him and I have no issue with the dog being here after him. He understood and respected that.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
He even rehomed his Boxer because he has started to hate dogs. (which has caused even more issues)
I could never live with a man who hated dogs.
Never.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

After 20 years, my husband and I still don't always see eye to eye on critter issues, they are basically all mine, he does love them but thats about the extent of it.
The fact that your boyfriend was able to rehome, give up or what ever you want to call it with his dog, leaves the question what about commitment? Would he give up on you so easily?
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

We started rescuing 10yrs. ago and my husband has been completely on board with it. We're a team, and it works.
I just can't see how people could "hate" other living things, especially innocent animals
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

Honestly, you aren't going to be able to change your boyfriends mind unless he is willing to work with you and the dog. My boyfriend and I went through a rough patch where I had a lot of resentment towards our girl Sasha because she was picking on our other dogs and just all around being a bully in the house. BUT... I'm not the kind of person to just willy-nilly give up a dog unless it's in the best interest of the dog so we explored rehoming her (for her sake, not for my sake) while I worked my butt off to bond with Sasha and work to resolve her issues. Beucase I was willing to put in all this work, Sasha is now truly MY dog much to my boyfriends dismay Her behavior has gotten much better and I truly believe it's because she is super sensitive to my emotions and knew I didn't like her.

So long story short, unless your bf is ready and willing to work with your girl you aren't going to be able to make things better.

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Here's a story for you that I think may help with your decision:

When I was young and single, I had a magnificent rescued dobie mix who was my best friend. Any time she met a new human friend of mine, she had a way of telling me very clearly what she thought of them -- most of my friends she loved. I vividly remember one occasion when she told me in clear terms she strongly dislike a couple who was over socializing (growling and barking at them in a way that was very uncharacteristic of this dog) -- I later learned they were unsavory characters I didn't want to know. Her instincts were spot on.

I learned to trust her after that. She did the same thing with guys I dated. She never had as strong a positive reaction to any man she met that was quite as overwhelming as the way she greeted the man who became my husband -- she knew from the second he walked in the door to pick me up for our first date that he was going to be her papa, and she couldn't wait for him to know it. It's like she recognized him from another life. She was right about him too!

Mr. Magwart was then not a dog person as a young man, and he at first thought she was sweet but weird. I knew how right she was about him one Saturday a few months later when he stayed with her when I went to run errands and I found them sacked out napping happily together on the couch (with my dog lying on top of him). She taught him to be a dog person, and once he fell for her, he's been the doggiest-of-dog people. He loves dogs now -- and it's all thanks to that little dobie mix who brought out an inner animal-lover he didn't know he had.

The point of all this is to suggest that perhaps you might consider trusting your dog. If she's afraid of this guy, ask yourself what she's picking up that you might be missing.

Last edited by Magwart; 11-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Dogs have excellent instincts....I'd listen to your dog!!

My husband is great with the dogs, thank doG!! He grew up in a family where you only had one dog at a time....It took a little while to get him to understand that it's good to have multiple dogs, but he soon grew to like having a small pack here Dave is one of those people who likes dogs, and dogs like him. In fact he's become sort of a temperament test, the few times a dog hasn't liked Dave it has turned out to be a dog that isn't quite right in the head.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.