German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Puppy Stuff (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/)
-   -   discipline (for a puppy?) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-puppy-stuff/194143-discipline-puppy.html)

serena37 11-10-2012 08:23 PM

discipline (for a puppy?)

When you've disciplined your dog how long do you wait to give attention?

msvette2u 11-10-2012 08:43 PM

What do you mean by disciplined? Under which circumstances? Too little info to go on...

Twyla 11-10-2012 08:49 PM

For a correction - correction is given, as soon as he complies, praise and affection is given.

Perhaps if you would more fully describe what you are asking, more and/or better answers geared to your question can be given.

Sunflowers 11-10-2012 08:52 PM

179 Attachment(s)
Define discipline and attention, please.

serena37 11-13-2012 08:09 PM

Thank you all, Twyla answered my question

Jag 11-13-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serena37 (Post 2628779)

You didn't answer the questions, though. How old is the pup you're talking about?

msvette2u 11-13-2012 08:34 PM

Not sure if this is applicable...but dogs don't "get" the concept of time-out.
For them, 2-3 seconds after an "infraction" is about long enough, if longer than that they will have no idea what you are scolding them about.

doggiedad 11-13-2012 11:13 PM

how old is your pup? give a couple of examples of
how you diciplined/corrected your pup?

Twyla 11-13-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

I also qualified my answer asking for examples and descriptions of what you are asking for. Explaining that you would get more and better answers geared towards your situation.

How I correct Woolf may be completely inappropriate for your dog/pup depending on age and the behavior.

How old is your pup and what is the behavior you are asking about discipline for?

MaggieRoseLee 11-14-2012 12:39 AM

Quote:

serena, I'm with everyone else (even Twyla) that she didn't/couldn't have answered your question because she qualified with a question.

Puppies really hardly ever deserve 'discipline', but that's my definition of discipline and DEFINITELY depends on their age and their behavior.

For instance if my 12 week old puppy almost killed my cat, then that would be a whole lot more serious than if my puppy just grabbed my favorite shoe again.

That said, since both me allowing my 12 week old puppy to be in a position to kill my cat OR grab my favorite shoe are BOTH situations that should never have occurred if I was properly managing the home and my puppy's life, guess I'd be getting some discipline for MY bad behavior too :wild:

Age of pup? Behavior that you consider needing discipline? What you consider discipline? All those are very different.