Need some help with the garbage problem. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

We have a trash can that pulls out from our cabinets. There is no way for a dog to get in there. We have 2 dogs and have never had an issue with them getting into the trash. Plus I hate having a trash can out in the open, to me it looks junky.
We have a bag that we use to put all our recyclables in and dump them every night out side to the trash bin. I think we throw away more stuff to recycle than garbage.
Good luck
dogmama340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
This is what we have. Its a bit dirty now and needs to be repainted (house is under renovations) but you can see how well it works. My husband is a nerd and was going to make a life sized R2D2. I almost got rid of it 5 times before we planned on the dog. After we decided we were getting a GSD I was grateful I hadnt. It is some what annoying because we have to pick up the whole thing (you have to pick up the entire thing to get to the trash container under neath what you see, however I find it difficult to believe a dog could get into it.

Sounds like a lot of work just for trash!
dogmama340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyboysmom View Post
he isn't left unsupervised, one eye on him all the time, but he is stubborn, he will go near the trash and look at me knowing not to do it, just daring me, then he does it, I correct him, and then it goes on and on.
Yes, but it sounds like "one eye on him all the time" is not sufficient. How about tethering him to you with a leash, so he can't get any closer to the trash than you are, and you can easily prevent him from getting into it even when you ARE near the can by body blocking him and moving him away?

How are you "correcting" him? I see that he's 9 months old, so he's already got quite a long history of getting into the trash. This is behavior that should have been nipped in the bud earlier, before it became a habit, so you're going to have to work a little harder at it then you would have if he had never been able to succeed at getting into the trash in the first place. He knows there's good stuff in there, so his motivation to continue doing it is overriding whatever you've tried to stop him.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #24 (permalink)

This action has just started, he has been corrected over and over again. Sigh...
Sam, off counter, if I am looking, he will, trash, same.
The leash thing does not work very well, when done that way, he plays with the leash.
He is a hard nut to crack, or should I say he is trying to crack me.
harleyboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Another vote for SimpleHuman. Love their products. We have this one. In the other house we had the trash that was built into a cabinet.

simplehuman® 45-Liter Butterfly Brushed Stainless Steel Step Trash Can - Bed Bath & Beyond
I too use the SimpleHuman going on about 6 years and NEVER had an issue with either of my dogs getting into it. Well worth the 200 bucks.

Molly 5/19/01-5/20/14 GSD White

Maggie 4/30/03-7/19/12 GSD White

Have you hugged your dog today?
Billn1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyboysmom View Post
This action has just started, he has been corrected over and over again. Sigh...
Sam, off counter, if I am looking, he will, trash, same.
The leash thing does not work very well, when done that way, he plays with the leash.
He is a hard nut to crack, or should I say he is trying to crack me.

He must be very energetic! Gosh darn I love this breed. Smart, active... aaaa! A couple of things I would like to suggest.

1. Exercise, exercise, exercise! Dogs need way more than many people envision. Don't forget mental exercise like obedience and tricks for the heck of it.

2. Consider looking at this differently. Instead of corrections over and over that don't seem to be working, teach your dog what to do instead. Think proactively.

A tired dog is a good dog. Above suggestions I am good with : Simply put the trash in a place he can't get to (which you have done) meanwhile, work on the exercise and obedience. Keep this up and it pays off tenfold. Another one is to keep him tethered to you in the house, or somehow limited to the room you are in. Dogs should earn the privilege of roaming.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #27 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suka View Post
2. Consider looking at this differently. Instead of corrections over and over that don't seem to be working, teach your dog what to do instead. Think proactively.

How are you correcting him? Just telling him "no" when he does it?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

train him not to counter surf and not to go in the
trash can. i use to leave food on the edge of the
counter and leave the room. when my dog went for
the food i would make him sit in front of the counter
where the food was and point at the counter and him
and say "no". as he learned not to counter surf i made
it hader for him by leaving food on the seat of the chair,
coffee table and floor. sometimes i would leave the room
and the house. i slowly made my time away longer and longer.

i use to place the trash can in the center of the kitchen floor
with the lid open. sometimes i placed food on top of the trash.
sometimes i placed food on the lid. i used the same method
as above to train him not to go in the trash.

buy a small can without a lid. place a plastic bag in it
and keep it on top of the refrigerator if there's room
for it. by making the trash not available isn't teaching him
not to go in the trash.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Dogs will be dogs. Some things are hardwired behavior and you're going to have a very tough time fixing. Someone else said "choose your battles", and that's what I'd suggest.
Dogs are hardwired to be scavengers. It's in their nature. In fact, the way they eat should be different - not fed from a bowl, but a puzzle toy, a kong toy, something that, as the dog plays with it, it rewards them with their meal.
It does help! Dogs thrive with mental (and physical) stimulation.

When you understand that dogs just do this, it may help you change your mindset.

To me, it's not worth being upset about, it's just not worth the battle. We have a gate up to our kitchen, where the trash is, and the trash is under the sink when the dogs do go in there (supervised).

Remove temptation and everyone will be happier.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #30 (permalink)

Default My knuckle head.

I thank all of you for your input. Sam is my sixth GSD and the hardest to correct. I know he does this to get attention, like the other stupid things he does. He does get exercise as much as I possibly give him. I have a flirt pole, but yet to use it,. After Sandy, too many pine needles fell on the ground, and they are very slippery, I do not want him hurt.
I might as well admit, I am disabled in a way that limits me, but having trained dogs before, 2 cd Siberian Huskies, and 5 other wonderful GSDs, this one is a hard nut.
People tell me I have no business having a Gsd with my condition, however, this boy gets me moving, and have a purpose.
I hope you can understand., and any help from will make my day.
Funds are small, but I will not give up.
I use to show dogs, groomed dogs, had ob classes, in my hay day, some said old people spoil, not me. And yes, I am 65 yrs young, and will have a GSD until my dying day.

Sorry If I sound upset, but some think I don't know what I am doing.

I appreciate all input like I said before.
Thank you all off you.
C~
harleyboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.