Lazy Dog sitting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lazy Dog sitting

Hi everyone! I have a GSD named Ziggy who Just turned 7 months on October 21, 2012. Anyway, I noticed lately that he has been "lazy sitting". However, when it comes to doing training sessions, he sits properly. He currently weighs 83 lbs and I don't feed him too much. I give him 1.5- 2 cups in the morning and another 1.5-2 at night. So can his weight and the way he sits be early signs of HD? Also, about a month ago I bought a penny skateboard, so I used to skateboard beside him and he would run. We would usually do this for about a half hour to 45 minutes and maybe on occasion for an hour. I stopped doing this and I walk him every other day for about 20-30 minutes. Could he just be confortable sitting this waY?? Also, when I scratch the end of his spine toward the middle section to the end where the tail meets the hips. He pounds his feet to the floor (like tapping it really fast) and kind of squats or even goes into a full on sit! Thanks in advance! Cheers
ZiggyRuffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Tuke prefers to "puppy sit" and our lab sat like that. Nothing wrong with either of their hips. Our lab also preferred to lay on her stomach with her back legs stretched out superman style. Of course a trip to the vet for x-rays is the only way to know for sure.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

83lbs at 7 months is quite big. What is his height? Can you see a defined waist, good tuck in his underline and feel/see the last two ribs? If not, he is too fat. Excessive weight is NOT good for growing joints. What is his diet?

HD is confirmed by xrays. No use guessing about his sitting position or weight. Get xrays done if you suspect something. You can get prelims done and see what you are working with.

Lazy sit is a product of training, not HD. Puddi has a lazy sit, but that is because I never bothered to teach her a straight, serious sit - no need, she is just a house pet and doesn't need a perfect sit. If I taught her a good sit, she would sit well. The way she sits has no bearing on the health of her hips. I have seen HD dogs sit nicely and healthy dogs sit poorly.

Is this your first dog? Dogs usually have a tickle spot on their bellies or backs. If you repeatedly scratch that area, the dog will make a goofy face and thump his leg. Most dogs have one. You will learn where it is on your dog and it's fun to make him thump with a good scratch
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

lazy sit does not equal hd. skate boarding with a puppy is not a great idea. as stated, make sure he is not overweight. decrease in activity should mean you decrease the amt of food per day.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I can see a waist but its not 100% defined. More like 75% I can feel his ribs, and just a bit of fat too! But I can feel each individual rib if i slightly added pressure. is is 2 cups per meal bad? I feed him 2x a day
ZiggyRuffy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

My dog Arexa used to do lazy sit all the time she grew out of it she is now 7 months old and does it very rarely. And I think what you are describing as your dog reacting to the scratch is simply that he is ticklish,the only way to diagnose him is through Xray, don't freak out over nothing until you see real signs of HD.
julie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.