Griping about 'down' - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Red face Griping about 'down'

Grim sits well, but will whine and gripe if I tell him to 'down'. He knows what it means, but he doesn't want to do it. Anybody else have a dog that complains about a certain command? Also, the only time he'll do 'watch me' is if he knows I have a treat in my hand. Then all I have to do is say his name and his head whips up and he's VERY intense with his look. I'm trying to increase the time that he'll look me in the eye, but after a couple seconds he starts whining and griping about that, too. KNOWING he can do these things, but either refuses or will only do it when he knows I have something he wants... with the griping and moaning... I hope this gets better soon!! I love that he's vocal, but it seems that most of the time he uses it to tell me what he doesn't want to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A lot of dogs have problems downing for people in the beginning of training. Down is a very submissive position that they generally don't want to be in. If you know he knows it, start correcting. Light tugs downwards with the leash until he goes all the way down. Then praise with treats/happy voice.

As for the focus...I wouldn't expect much from a 4 month old. You've taught him that looking at you for a second gives him a treat. I'm guessing now you're extending that time period. It will take a lot of time to extend that to a point where he looks at you for a while without a treat.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I guess I should have thought of the 'submissive' part. I've never had a shepherd complain about down. My first boy used to gripe at me about rolling over... but that was it. Grim right now is flexing his dominance muscle in the house with my Pug. I didn't expect that to fly as she's got an "I'm in charge" personality, but she submits every time.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It took me forever to teach Annie a solid down. She'd down okay but then she'd pop right back up. Now she'll stay there, but you can tell by looking at her that she's waiting for the signal to get up. We call it her ready to launch mode.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

something I use to do as well, when they DO down, as in just casually lay down, I am usually saying GOOD DOWN! and toss a treat.."Free Shaping", don't ask for the command, when they "do" what you'd like them to do, at any time, PRAISE and reward..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have an alpha and these things are against his nature. Eye contact is a challenge in the dog world and of course he won't want to do it .
I am just starting to get good, prolonged eye contact.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would play tug, when you out him, tease him up with the tug and ask for positions. Then mark, reward him with the tug(ball, whatever) when he does what you are asking. Some dogs need training to be more of a game and keep it fun then when pup is a bit older you can put the 'boring' back into it.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My pup was starting to sass me about the down in our obedience class.

If they don't listen, we're supposed to guide them down. So I did - and she lay there with her front legs in awkward positions with her head right on the ground and cocked a bit to the side, and gave me the stink eye. And she did her ENTIRE 3 minute down stay like that

I think it's normal, as stated already, it's a submissive position, so they are sometimes less cooperative about it. I try to make it fun, by getting her to down before I throw her Kong or feed her etc.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

This is also Gaia's least favorite position, it's hilarious when she does it. She full out throws herself down, there's nothing graceful about it, and then gives me the "look" I'm sure I gave my parents a million times when I was growing up.

I really like the idea of making it a game, she works way better when there's a tug involved.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I do what Diane suggests - "capture" him doing it on his own by marking and rewarding him when he does. If you want to get in lots of repetitions, release him and toss the treat just far enough away that he has to get up to get it. Wait for him to "down" again - rinse, repeat. I don't even add the word for awhile, just click (or verbal marker)/treat for a down.

I had Halo throwing herself into a down with eye contact by the time we went into puppy class (off leash, in a room full of people and other puppies!) three weeks after we got her. One week one of the women stopped me in the bathroom after class to ask how I got her to focus like that.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.