Getting my BC puppy today - Page 21 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #201 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2662 View Post
the thing is this won't get better if he continues this!
If he keeps peeing inside straight away after he's been to the garden, I'm not really sure if this will get any better! :/ And my mum doesn't help either, because it's been raining today and she refused to tkae him outside when I was in school ! >_<
Ok, then I guess you will have a dog that will use your home as a toilet. That is what she is teaching him .
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #202 (permalink)
Master Member

It took me 3 months to train my puppy. Your's have been in your house for... 1 week? House training is not something you can rush. It just takes time and consistency on your part. The dog will learn if you keep up at it. It may take some time but it will happen if you keep taking it out.

What helped me was taking the dog to a small designated area in the yard that is sort of cornered off from the rest. The dog learned soon that area is for that business and will go fairly quickly if I take her out to that designated area (and I don't even have to say "go potty" once she gets it, she will go there on her own when we're outside). It also helps to know that's where all the poop will be so I don't have to look all over the yard. After she learned that, she still had accidents inside the house, but at least she got the idea that if I take her there, she is to go.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #203 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
You wanted a dog now deal with it. As many have pointed out this is a baby. It will get better but it is going to take time and patience and training. You took responsibility not your mum, it is not her dog it is yours! Time to prove you are old enough to have this huge responsibility.
It is my dog, but what am I ment to do when I'm at school? Take it with me to class? I don't really see that happening. She promised to help me. I'll talk her and hopefully she will take him out even if it's raining.
I was just wondering why does he do that. He holds it in and then he finally goes when he's outside? :/ I am outside for big amounts of time and he still doesn't go...
Old 11-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #204 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Because he has gone so much inside that he is used to going there and it has almost become reflex for him. Once they learn a behavior they repeat it.
This is not his fault.
Training a dog is possible only if all members of the house accept responsibility. One can't just say it is one person's dog and expect that person to do everything, unless that person is home 24/7.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #205 (permalink)
Master Member

Don't expect it to be a quick process, a puppy is A LOT of work. It's going to take time before he's fully house trained. This is where leashing him to you comes in handy and using the crate when you're not around. You'll soon catch on to his body language when he needs to go.

One of the most important things to remember when house training a puppy is when he makes an accident don't get upset at him, he doesn't know any better yet, especially if you don't catch him in the act.

I promise it does get better, there are going to be moments when you question why on earth you wanted this puppy but in the end it's all worth it.

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #206 (permalink)
Master Member

He's only doing it on the puppy pee pad now... Do you think I should take the pad outside tomorrow and see if that works? My parents really don't help at all mentally, they keep shouting at me, telling me that I'm wrong & stupid, etc. I really feel devastated right now, as I just want him to go outside... I know he won't do it immediately.
I saw sprays that if you spray something it helps the dog to "go there" as in it's a friendly smell that makes him wanna go there... Is that true?
Amazon Amazon
Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #207 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy2662 View Post
It is my dog, but what am I ment to do when I'm at school? Take it with me to class? I don't really see that happening. She promised to help me. I'll talk her and hopefully she will take him out even if it's raining.
I was just wondering why does he do that. He holds it in and then he finally goes when he's outside? :/ I am outside for big amounts of time and he still doesn't go...
How long were you in school? Did you take him out before you left? Did you take him out when you got home? Are you holding up your end of the deal? What makes you think your mum isn't helping. How do you know what she does while your at school? She may have taken him out 10 time and cleaned up 5 messes. Puppies pee a LOT.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #208 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If he is doing it on the puppy pee pad, take it outside with him! Eventually you will be able to cut it up in smaller peices until it is gone because his odor is on the ground, Rub the soiled pad on the spot where you want him to go and take him to that one place in the yard to potty. Tell him how good he is for going and give him a treat.

That spot in the yard is all about business-other areas can be about play but nothing till he does his business. Put him up if he does not and take him out in a few more minutes. Be prepared to scoop him up and run him right outside if he starts in the house.

A schedule may help your mom if she is willing? Pup needs to be in crate 100% of time he is not being watched 100% and at his age needs to go out at least every 2 hours - next month probably 3, (many use a guideline one hour for each month of age though my own experience is they get it much faster....got Beau at 10 weeks, never had an accident in the housr or the crate, but then I have raised several pups)

NOTE that is not to make you feel bad but to say, it ain't rocket science and it works if you do it properly. I had a harder time with the first pup I housebroke (but not a ton because I did what I was told and did not have to deal with a mom)

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 11-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #209 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think if your parents are still letting him go in the house then you need to find one spot that he will go on using the newspaper and make sure that he goes only in that spot.
What I think you could also try is maybe taking the soiled newspaper and some of his poop and bring it outside in a spot that you would want him to go and try and coax him to go out there, maybe if he smells the spolied newspaper he will be encouraged to go outside.
Also if you catch him *in the act* you should pick him up immediately with "eh eh" and bring him outside to finish.
It really does take time and patience potty training a puppy, he will get there. It just might take longer since he's been going in the house.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #210 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Definitely put the pee pad outside, and only outside.
I am sorry about your parents. Must be really tough.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.