German Shepherds Forum banner

Need Some Advice: What to do with puppy during the day?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bullet Vom Law 
#1 ·
I NEED some advice of what to do with my 8 month pup during the day while I am at school and also when I am doing some other activity that does not involve him.

I have tried having him on a zip line outside, well he broke it. I tried having him on a 30 foot training leash outside, he snapped it in half. I tried having him in my room and he would scratch at the door, chew up the carpet, or grab things off shelf's, and would never settle down.

I have resulted to keeping him in an extra large crate now. (Yes, he is having exercise sessions during the day and is taken outside often to go potty and drink water). He also has several toys and rawhide bones in his crate. His crate is only place where he is calm and peaceful.

I feel really bad and guilty about having him in a crate all day long, but just do not know what else to do with him. I feel if I buy an oustide kennel, he will just bark all day and not be happy (I don't think the neighbors will be happy either).

What do you guys do with your young pups when you are not involved with them? Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Taylor

See less See more
#2 ·
He's still young. I think the crate is good. My dog wasn't allowed to stay alone in the house unsupervised until he was older. Make sure he doesn't wear a collar or have anything he could choke on in the crate. Is it possible for you or someone else to come home and let him out for a walk in the middle of the day to break up the crate time?

#3 ·
As long as they are getting enough exercise and attention when you're around I wouldn't hesitate in the least to crate him when you leave! Especially if he calms down and chills when you crate him, down time is just as important for puppies as stimulation IMO... How long are you leaving him in the crate at a time?

#4 ·
My pup is about the same age, she's created for about 8hrs a day while I'm at work, I used to feel guilty about it until I left her out one day and she chewed the extended sill of window. I know it's a long time but i dont have anyone to come let her out and I live too far away to come home from work on my lunch it doesn't seem to have any effect on her although if she doesn't get enough exercise she's a complete nut job.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

#6 ·
How big is your yard? I crate Baron inside when I can't supervise him at home, but when I leave the house...he goes outside to his kennel. I purchased two of the AKC 5' x 10' kennels from Lowes and combined them to make a 15' x 15 enclosure. The ground I covered with a thick layer of pine needles and he has both sunshades which came with the kennels as well as half of the enclosure I covered with a tarp for rain protection and a five gallon self-waterer on cinder blocks. He has a large dog house in there as well, but he seldom uses it. This allows him room to move around and I feel a lot better than keeping him in the crate. Perhaps a bit more than you're looking to do, but it is an option.

#7 ·
How long are you at school during the day? A crate is a safe place for them, mine never liked her crate. She would go in there, but always made me understand her dislike(usually a big huff when she plopped down) She was out of the crate completely by 6-7 months with no problems. Have you tried leaving yours out and about in the house for short periods of time? That might help when your doing your own thing. You won't know until you try it. Do little times...start with 15 min then 30 min, etc.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the helpful comments! I did some more research today and found out that several different companies make dog exercise pens for large breed dogs. They seem to be nice and roomy and are a big step up from a crate. I am going to buy one of these for him tonight and hopefully it will work well for him.

Thanks Again,
Taylor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.