Fleas - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't use any chemicals on my animals. I do give Bug Off Garlic for 6 months of the year but that is to keep ticks off of Rafi. I keep on top of fleas by giving him baths in a NEEM shampoo and spraying him with NEEM spray. This summer I didn't even find one flea on him. And in 10 years of using the Bug Off (with 6 different dogs) I have only found 2 ticks total.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Unfortunately in the bug ridden South, those things really don't work. Wish they did here as I don't like chemicals either
DollBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
Depends on where the OP is from. If you are up in northern USA or somewhere else pretty cold then the homeopathic way might work. If the OP is from the south any where those homeopathic ways arent going to work for anything. ...
So true, unfortunately.
In the past I used frontline but the last few years it has not worked as well. Advantage seems to still do the trick. A friend has recommended buying organic spinosad and dosing, but I have no idea the safety or dosing (although it would be WAY cheaper than Comfortis).

I just ordered generic Capstar from littlecitydogs.com
Super price and it worked.
Note- it only kills adults fleas on the pet for 8-24 hours.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I used Frontline for years but it seemed to stop working about a year ago. The Advantix didn't seem to work very well for me either. Now I'm using Trifexis for fleas and heartworm. It does not cover ticks but during tick season I use a Preventic collar. The homeopathic stuff doesn't really seem to keep up in the south.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I just ordered generic Capstar from littlecitydogs.com
Super price and it worked.
Note- it only kills adults fleas on the pet for 8-24 hours.
Capstar is excellent but only in cases where the dog isn't going back into a flea-infested area.
For the rare fleas we get here (foster dogs bring them in occasionally), if we realize they have fleas, we treat with Capstar, if we didn't realize they had them until a day or so has gone by we treat everyone with the Biospot but I understand it has lost effectiveness in some areas.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Unhappy Fleas!!!

Ok, for the last several months Ace has been dealing with fleas. I give him Frontline Plus once a month and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've bought three different type of expensive shampoos for fleas and that doesn't work. I've used Capstar and that doesn't work. I started using Advantage in between the Frontline dosages and that doesn't work. I even bough this special dome light to attract fleas, which hardly works, but catch 8 fleas within a month. I have taking him to the vet twice, the first time back in Aug I was told it was just allergies. I was given meds and a shampoo for it. None of it worked. Sept I had taken him to another vet for a checkup and she found a flea. That's when it was determined he may have a flea issues. I am at a lost on what to do now. I can only imagine the issue may be in my backyard. I'm very frustrated and looking for any type of suggestions that can help.
Sammy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #17 (permalink)

Sammy, honestly... Give dawn dish soap a try. They use it here in Alberta often to treat ducks and animals affected by Oil spills. It's good for their cost and many many people say it completely took Away their pets fleas. If nothing else has worked mine as well try it. Just stick with original dawn

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Doucette.sn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Opps, I meant to post a new threat, not sure how I ended up piggy backing on someone post. Will create a new thread
Sammy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

or shampoo with Defendex
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy79 View Post
Ok, for the last several months Ace has been dealing with fleas. I give him Frontline Plus once a month and it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I've bought three different type of expensive shampoos for fleas and that doesn't work. I've used Capstar and that doesn't work. I started using Advantage in between the Frontline dosages and that doesn't work. I even bough this special dome light to attract fleas, which hardly works, but catch 8 fleas within a month. I have taking him to the vet twice, the first time back in Aug I was told it was just allergies. I was given meds and a shampoo for it. None of it worked. Sept I had taken him to another vet for a checkup and she found a flea. That's when it was determined he may have a flea issues. I am at a lost on what to do now. I can only imagine the issue may be in my backyard. I'm very frustrated and looking for any type of suggestions that can help.
Nematodes may work. They can be ordered online. Local home and garden may carry them. Even Home Depot has them available through the web. I am not sure at what time of year to out them out, though.
Flea Control with Parasitic Nematodes Not a Sure Thing - Integrated Pest Management ? Solutions for Your Life - UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...z95asztak.aspx
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.