June-Sept. 2012 puppies... - Page 15 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts60 View Post
I agree. People weren't to smart about it

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

My pup was around six weeks when i got him. The breeder obviously lied about his age and i saw that, but they would have just sold him to someone else straight away (and they could have been horrible people) if i diddn't take him.
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #142 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Hey, guys! Anyone wanting an update from me please PM me. Thanks!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #143 (permalink)
Elite Member

Resurrecting this thread, curious how everyone's pups are doing.

Ollie has grown a lot, I expect he's in the 40lb range and he is now 4 months old. We're taking him to the vet tomorrow to weigh him and pick up some flea preventative so will find out then.

Overall he is a very good puppy, been housebroken since the first day we got him and he's now sleeping outside his crate at night though he is baby gated to my side of the bed and I'll have him in his crate overnight a few times during the week and when I need a break so he stays used to being in there.

He hasn't been landsharky at all, I have no idea why and I can't tell you my secret lol because he's just never been interested in my hands or feet... Now my shoes are a different matter.

The main issue I'm having with him is he harasses my Chi mix... It's like he thinks she's a toy so that is a work in progress. It's not because she's small either, he doesn't mess with my Pom AT all... I think it's because she is so timid and is always running away from him. Keeping him leashed all the time helps but boy is it a pain in me arse. So for now, it's redirect redirect redirect and having them spend time together doing fun things.

His socialization is going really well... He really, really loves people and thank god he didn't pick up my Golden's bad habit of jumping all over the place. He loves dogs too, yesterday he played with a husky and a vizsla... It was so absolutely cute I so wished I had my camera with me! He's met a ton of little kids, he adores them and is so gentle with them.

He's not afraid of much either, he tries to play with the vacuum when I'm using it, he even played bowed at it once while it was on LOL. He's afraid of the baby gate though because he's knocked it over on himself a few times.

I wish I could say it was my amazing training as to why he's this way but I'd be lying, lol! I think it boils down to luck and my breeder really knowing how to breed for an excellent temperament. I'm thinking about getting involved with agility or flyball with him when he's older.

My heart

Untitled (2012-12-19 22:25:39) by snowypony, on Flickr

Untitled (2012-12-11 07:49:25) by snowypony, on Flickr

Untitled (2012-12-10 23:06:52) by snowypony, on Flickr

Last edited by Carriesue; 12-28-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #144 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Grim is doing pretty well! He's learning how to settle in the house (although he still gets into things so he has to be watched!). He used to be in a kennel in a bedroom, but with the larger kennel, etc. he's now in the living room. He's done well with the change. He even stays quiet (pretty much) when the birds are out.

We start his 'formal' training the 7th of January, and I've found a club to go to! I couldn't be more excited to finally 'get on' with training! Just waiting for his baby canines to come out! He got his adults in, so he's got 'double' canines, which looks a little goofy.

He's been a great boy with family coming in, and some trips out. He'll be getting a new travel kennel before we start driving north for training. My brother got us a Petsmart card for Christmas, so that will help with the cost. The new van is large enough that I think I can slide in the new kennel without removing seats. The new van is GREAT, and should do just fine for all the trips to Michigan. I'm feeling very lucky that this part has come together finally! Couldn't be more excited about what lies ahead for us!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #145 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Grim is doing pretty well! He's learning how to settle in the house (although he still gets into things so he has to be watched!). He used to be in a kennel in a bedroom, but with the larger kennel, etc. he's now in the living room. He's done well with the change. He even stays quiet (pretty much) when the birds are out.

We start his 'formal' training the 7th of January, and I've found a club to go to! I couldn't be more excited to finally 'get on' with training! Just waiting for his baby canines to come out! He got his adults in, so he's got 'double' canines, which looks a little goofy.

He's been a great boy with family coming in, and some trips out. He'll be getting a new travel kennel before we start driving north for training. My brother got us a Petsmart card for Christmas, so that will help with the cost. The new van is large enough that I think I can slide in the new kennel without removing seats. The new van is GREAT, and should do just fine for all the trips to Michigan. I'm feeling very lucky that this part has come together finally! Couldn't be more excited about what lies ahead for us!

Cool! What are you planning on doing with Grim training/sports wise?

I wouldn't mind a bigger truck myself LOL

Took Ollie to the dog park today(I know, I know but I don't know anyone else with dogs), he played with another GSD a month older then him and there was this other big male I noticed ther and when I talked to his owners I found out they got him from the same breeder that I got Ollie from. Guess what the guy said about her, "she has good dogs but her people skills could use some work." I could only nod...

Taking Ollie for his first hike tomorrow with his big brudda!
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #146 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

The training we are going to is obedience and the club for his IPO. The training place has a lot of different things they offer, though, so we may get involved in agility or something. There are lots of places to go out in this area, so after my kids go back to school I hope to start getting him out there!

That sounds like fun! I *think* my wife found my hiking boots in the garage. If not, I'll be getting a new pair soon. Just a few things to get done on my end, yet, and then we'll be ready to go! Since we got the snow and ice, I really need boots to even get Grim out for walks now. That's too funny that you found someone that got their dog from the same breeder! Was that dog also a LC? How are things going with Ollie and Sam? I hope you take video tomorrow!!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #147 (permalink)

Just found this thread a few days ago and it's taken me that long to read all the previous posts. My puppy, Fleury, was born Sept 19 so he's a young one compared to many of yours (relatively) but catching up quickly and growing fast. He's about 14 weeks now. He weighed in at 30 lbs last week at the vet. This despite his accident prone self.

We're counting down the days till we're through with vaccines. He has a ton of energy that will be nice on hikes but is a little crazy in the house. Wish I could do off leash hikes but I live in the city with strict lease laws and the surrounding mountains are crowded with folks. Jealous of you country folk. Despite a rough start to crate training, he's doing amazing with it now. Potty training is going decent, still an accident now and then, but fairly consistent outside (and he always pops out there, only pees sometimes in the house). Still sharky when overtired or has to #2, but plays nicely. He knows sit and come, watch me and shake pretty well. We're working on others regularly . he knows to sit in his crate before dinner gets served.

Don't get me wrong, there were days, especially before he got better in the crate when I thought I was going to go crazy. But now that I can have a couple hours a day to shower and otherwise take care of things I'm feeling better.

All your pups are so cute! Mind's a short coat (white) but those long coats are adorable! Nice to check in here and see what I have to look forward to/ prepare myself for lol. Hope u all had good holidays.

*this message was brought to you by a fresh bully stick
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #148 (permalink)

Bella is doing really good, she will be 6 months next Saturday and weighs about 50 lbs. We finished our first session of obedience in November and will be taking advanced obedience and Rally obedience classes this spring. The kennel club that put on the classes only have two sessions a year, but one of the trainers told me he would do some individual training with us in between sessions when the weather is nice since it would have to be outdoors. I think he is doing it because he knows the breeder we got Bella from and knows the quality of gsd's she breeds.
Our cocker Molly still gets a little grumpy every now and then when Bella gets too close to her and the toy she has. We have had to break up a few tiffs between the two of them, nothing major, but still unacceptable behavior. Both girls are dominant so I fear their will be more until one of them submits to the other.

Carriesue
I'm so jealous that you didn't have to go through the landshark phase. Bella is getting better about biting and is mouthing more. We have been redirecting her attention with toys and praising her for going for the toy instead of our hands and it's slowly working.

Jag
Good luck with the training. Is it going to be a group training or one on one?

Bella with her favorite toy. She likes it soo much she won't even put it down when she goes outside to do her business

DustyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #149 (permalink)

Jessac your post was incomplete I didn't see any pics
DustyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #150 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Hi, Dusty! Cute girl! Grim is going to a class with others for foundation obedience training to work towards his IPO. I've never gone to a group class before, so this should be fun! Grim is very vocal and at times he doesn't want to work (he'd rather have treats for 'free' which isn't going to happen), so I'm hoping that he finds the class motivational and I'm hoping to learn how to motivate him more. He's a huge complainer, LOL! He's still not through his mouthing faze, but he doesn't bite as hard...so that's good. It also helps that the razor puppy teeth are gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.