Puppy weight at 10 weeks?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy weight at 10 weeks??

I had my male puppy weighed yesterday at ten weeks (not sure if he's younger or the runt of the litter) and he only weighed just over 10lbs, although the vet did not seem concerned at all. Me however, I have seen several charts that state that my pup should weigh at least 19lbs by now??.

Could i ask some of you the weight of your puppies around that age?? and if i have anything to be worried about?.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

According to this chart, the average weight for a 4 month old puppy is around 19 pounds, I've never seen one that suggested that a 10 week old puppy should be that big!

http://www.nwk9.com/weight_height.htm

I wouldn't be concerned either, people spend way too much time worrying about whether or not their puppy is big enough (although strangely, hardly anyone ever posts a concern about their puppy being TOO big ). He'll be as big as he'll be, based on his genetics. He may grow at a slightly slower rate now and make up the difference later, just as some pups will grow more rapidly at first and then slow down later. His condition is much more important than numbers on the scale, and feeding him more if he's not overly skinny will just make him fat, it won't make him grow bigger.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
According to this chart, the average weight for a 4 month old puppy is around 19 pounds, I've never seen one that suggested that a 10 week old puppy should be that big!

German Shepherd Weight Chart and Height

I wouldn't be concerned either, people spend way too much time worrying about whether or not their puppy is big enough (although strangely, hardly anyone ever posts a concern about their puppy being TOO big ). He'll be as big as he'll be, based on his genetics. He may grow at a slightly slower rate now and make up the difference later, just as some pups will grow more rapidly at first and then slow down later. His condition is much more important than numbers on the scale, and feeding him more if he's not overly skinny will just make him fat, it won't make him grow bigger.
The 19 that you are seeing is actually kgs--in pounds, a 1 month old puppy should weigh between 7-9.2 pounds, according to the chart. Your 10-week-old pup should weigh between 16-20 pounds. So yes, if your 10-week-old male is only 10 pounds, he is underweight. What kind of food is he eating?
breyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
The 19 that you are seeing is actually kgs--in pounds, a 1 month old puppy should weigh between 7-9.2 pounds, according to the chart. Your 10-week-old pup should weigh between 16-20 pounds. So yes, if your 10-week-old male is only 10 pounds, he is underweight. What kind of food is he eating?
He's on naturediet three times a day with a handful of good quality kibble mixed in. The vet said his weight was fine, so i'm very confused.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Does he seem very skinny? He might just be a smaller dog. You should be able to see his waist and feel his ribs, but the ribs shouldn't be poky or stick out noticeably.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Does he seem very skinny? He might just be a smaller dog. You should be able to see his waist and feel his ribs, but the ribs shouldn't be poky or stick out noticeably.
No he just lean looking, his ribs don't stick out at all.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Then he's either simply on the small size overall, or he is going to have his growth spurt a bit later than most puppies. Unless he is looking very thin, I wouldn't worry too much about his weight, especially if he is eating well and doesn't have any other health problems.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
The 19 that you are seeing is actually kgs--in pounds, a 1 month old puppy should weigh between 7-9.2 pounds, according to the chart.
D'oh, you're right! Halo weighed 14 pounds at 10 weeks old and she's now around 60 pounds.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Our new Shepherd puppy is 10 weeks old today & is 15 " in height, 21 " long & weighs 14 lbs. He's healthy, flea free & worm free & part Czech, German shepherd & Belgian. His parents female 60 lbs & male parent 75 lbs. He's black, silver & tan. I worried about his puppy weight being to low but he's gaining 4lbs a week so I'm feeling since he's male he'll be around 70 lbs. I just glad he's healthy and so smart. We love him no matter how big he gets. I'm writing this because German Shepherd lovers usually want a big dog but he is what he is. My last Shepherd lived to be 17 years old
blessing320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.